What are you watching/listening or reading?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Frank

Re: What are you watching/listening or reading?

Post by Frank »

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:00 am
Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:33 am
I'm listening to Queen Rock Montreal. It sounds so crisp. Possibly my favorite sounding Queen live album.
I know you are talking about the disc but I'm going to talk about the film.

The first time I saw this was the summer of '92 (I think) but it could have been a year later for all I know. It was titled "We Will Rock You" and was shown at an outdoor amphitheater (Blossom Music Center) as a Freddie tribute. I thought it would be a good time tailgating with fellow Queenies and then watching a concert on some bigger than life diamond vision screen. The promos on the radio let my imagination run away.

It turned out slightly different than I imagined. There were no tailgaters in the parking lot and it was disappointing and almost bizarre once inside. There were only a few hundred Queen fans spaced out in the 6000 capacity pavilion and virtually nobody on the lawn. I remember there being one concession stand open that was selling cold beer on an unseasonably cool and windy evening.

No worries, I'm going to enjoy a great Queen concert. Wrong! There was no crystal clear diamond vision and booming sound system! It appeared there were sheets hung up as a temporary movie screen that were rippling in the breeze and the cherry on top was the video and audio were never 100% synched up.

The whole thing seemed like an epitaph to my teen years of fandom.

Sorry...I got a little carried away.
No worries. I'm glad you shared with me your story. That sounds very depressing!

I do own the original We Will Rock You DVD of the Montreal concerts. The picture was good but I remembered being sorely disappointed with the sound. Queen Rock Montreal was an incredible remaster. Again, it's potentially my favorite live release.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Kes wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 am
I was privileged enough to be at the band's premiere of Hungarian Rhapsody in Sony's theatre in Golden Square, London. I was completely amazed by how crystal clear the picture was, and how the music just filled the theatre. The only time I've been to a screening of a Queen concert, and I was completely blown away.
Nice! Yes, the picture is truly remarkable. OK, Queen Rock Montreal is probably my favorite live release, but you can't beat the crystal clear picture of Hungarian Rhapsody. I did go out to see HR at a local theater, but the crowd was underwhelming to say the least. It's what you would expect for a suburban showing in America.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's a noticeable footage quality issue between the intro and the concert, but we don't know what the inserts were filmed with, only that they weren't 35mm movie quality cameras. Could be 8mm or 16mm.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Elton John Live In Italy 2005.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Frank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 pm
OK, Queen Rock Montreal is probably my favorite live release, but you can't beat the crystal clear picture of Hungarian Rhapsody. I did go out to see HR at a local theater, but the crowd was underwhelming to say the least. It's what you would expect for a suburban showing in America.
I've always thought Queen's popularity in America was a little underwhelming. I think only one of the four times I saw them in the '70's was 100% sold out. It appears that classic rock radio is now onboard which was not the case until the last several years. However, I'm not sure if being in the daily rotation with Journey and Def Lep is really something to pump your chest about! I did hear Death On Two Legs last week which was a pleasant surprise.

now playing: The Lot by Roger on random play. I don't remember "I Wanna Testify" being released in the U.S., was it?

Frank

Post by Frank »

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 am
Frank wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:01 pm
OK, Queen Rock Montreal is probably my favorite live release, but you can't beat the crystal clear picture of Hungarian Rhapsody. I did go out to see HR at a local theater, but the crowd was underwhelming to say the least. It's what you would expect for a suburban showing in America.
I've always thought Queen's popularity in America was a little underwhelming. I think only one of the four times I saw them in the '70's was 100% sold out. It appears that classic rock radio is now onboard which was not the case until the last several years. However, I'm not sure if being in the daily rotation with Journey and Def Lep is really something to pump your chest about! I did hear Death On Two Legs last week which was a pleasant surprise.

now playing: The Lot by Roger on random play. I don't remember "I Wanna Testify" being released in the U.S., was it?
I don't think I Wanna Testify was released in the US.

Very cool that you heard Death On Two Legs on the radio. Must have been weird for it not to segue right into Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Frank wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 am
Very cool that you heard Death On Two Legs on the radio. Must have been weird for it not to segue right into Lazing On a Sunday Afternoon.
Years ago it would have been a mind melt. Not so much now because I rarely listen to discs front to back because nearly everything is random type playlists. You have inspired me to listen to them the old fashioned way, thanks!

Kes

Post by Kes »

I Wanna Testify wasn't even "properly" released in the UK. Normally, EMI would fund the release, press it, distribute it, etc, and then give the artist a cut of what it made. In this case, Roger had to fund all the process including promotion, himself, and get EMI to do the pressing and distribution stuff for him, and then his management would try and claw back what they could.

In the case of Future Management and the album Fun In Space, by then he then had the backing of both EMI and Elektra, to do a proper release job.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

sMothered on TLC...what the actual fk :shock:
ETA ~ what a shit show. :shock:

Frank

Post by Frank »

Ben Folds - 2020