What are you watching/listening or reading?

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Frank

Re: What are you watching/listening or reading?

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 am
Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:14 pm
the milkman wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 pm

I’m a big fan of Justice too.
You might not agree with me but I've never been able to get over the awful production. That album desperately needed bass. I often wonder how Cliff would have felt if the next Metallica album didn't have bass. The songs are great though (Harvester of Sorrow is a stone cold classic).

Sounds better this way...I've been hoping the band would do something official, but I don't think we should hold our breath.

-snip-
To be honest, I never noticed the production until years later after people started bitching about it. It’s a great album as is IMO but I would like to hear it with more bass. Death Magnetic’s production was shit! I can’t even listen to that one.
Truth be told, the lack of bass didn't hit me until years later, but as soon as I noticed it that was it. I preferred hearing the songs live with Jason/Robert. No doubt though it's a great album. The songs are wonderfully complex and the lyrics are some of James' best. And both James and Lars sound tight as fuck.

And of all their albums, I agree Death Magnetic had the worst production. Way too compressed. The music can't breathe. That's why Hardwired to Self Destruct was even more amazing. It sounded closer to the quality of the Black album, which let's face it, Bob Rock transformed their sound.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

“Last Christmas” with Emilia Clarke and George Michael soundtrack ...

Frank

Post by Frank »

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:23 pm
the milkman wrote:
Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:14 pm

You might not agree with me but I've never been able to get over the awful production. That album desperately needed bass. I often wonder how Cliff would have felt if the next Metallica album didn't have bass. The songs are great though (Harvester of Sorrow is a stone cold classic).

Sounds better this way...I've been hoping the band would do something official, but I don't think we should hold our breath.

-snip-
To be honest, I never noticed the production until years later after people started bitching about it. It’s a great album as is IMO but I would like to hear it with more bass. Death Magnetic’s production was shit! I can’t even listen to that one.
Truth be told, the lack of bass didn't hit me until years later, but as soon as I noticed it that was it. I preferred hearing the songs live with Jason/Robert. No doubt though it's a great album. The songs are wonderfully complex and the lyrics are some of James' best. And both James and Lars sound tight as fuck.

And of all their albums, I agree Death Magnetic had the worst production. Way too compressed. The music can't breathe. That's why Hardwired to Self Destruct was even more amazing. It sounded closer to the quality of the Black album, which let's face it, Bob Rock transformed their sound.
St. Anger sounded horrible too but I didn’t care because IMO the songs suck. Death Magnetic might be a good album but unfortunately I can’t listen to it. I bought it the day it came out and I’ve never listened to it from start to finish. I swear I can hear bacon frying in the first song.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

Started listening to it on Apple Music and I couldn’t hear the bacon frying. Apparently they have a newer version on iTunes and the Metallica store that sounds much better.

Frank

Post by Frank »

the milkman wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:45 pm
Frank wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:23 pm
the milkman wrote:

St. Anger sounded horrible too but I didn’t care because IMO the songs suck. Death Magnetic might be a good album but unfortunately I can’t listen to it. I bought it the day it came out and I’ve never listened to it from start to finish. I swear I can hear bacon frying in the first song.
St. Anger has a special place in my heart. I know it's not popular to like the album, but I find its attitude very appealing. Yeah, there aren't guitar solos and the drums sound like tin cans, but there was a lot of anger and personality in those songs. Its ugliness was a welcome departure from Load/Reload too.

I'll have to give Death Magnetic another listen. Maybe I don't have the most up to date copy. Thanks for the heads up.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

None of the songs on St. Anger click with me. I’ve tried several times to get into it but it never worked. Really can’t remember the last time I gave it a spin.

The iTunes version of Death Magnetic is so much better. I listened to it several times today on my Sonos Play 5 and it sounded good. I’ll listen to it again with headphones tomorrow. Wish they would release a CD version for my home stereo.

the milkman

Post by the milkman »

I honestly think I like Death Magnetic better than Hardwired now. St. Anger is supposed to be mastered for iTunes as well so I’m going to give that one another shot. Maybe I’ll like something that I didn’t back in 2003.