Adam Lambert

Other music, TV, films and general interest
carolb57

Re: Adam Lambert

Post by carolb57 »

I think Adam hasn’t found his own musical identity because he is a chameleon who doesn’t want to be locked into one style or genre. His talent is interpreting music. What is original is his range and what he is able to do with a song whether it is his own or someone else’s. An example is what he did with Cher’s song “Believe” at the Kennedy Center Honors.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

carolb57 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:53 am I think Adam hasn’t found his own musical identity because he is a chameleon who doesn’t want to be locked into one style or genre. His talent is interpreting music. What is original is his range and what he is able to do with a song whether it is his own or someone else’s. An example is what he did with Cher’s song “Believe” at the Kennedy Center Honors.
Well, as long as he is in a box of singing other people's music even more than his own, he really doesn't have a style or genre, he's basically copying what has done many times before.
No, his range isn't all that original either. What he does is hardly groundbreaking.
If he hasn't found what niche yet, at this point, i doubt he ever will. Even Velvet takes sounds and looks from other artists.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:13 am
midnight sky wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:02 pm I don't know where you are, but there is far too much of reality talent shows in my opinion. It's been years since I last watched any of them. The Voice had promise, but even there, it's not about the contestants.
I really don't like the idea of another reality show being judged on cover songs. I wish there was a new take on it, such as the contestants singing their own music.
I loathe the Kardashians. I never thought much of them, but they turned my stomach when the went on vacation/s during the pandemic.
Ozzy is far from perfect, but I think it's amazing how he let another side of him show. I have much respect for him.
Munich, Germany. Our TV programm sucks for the most part, either shows like that, very crappy bad acted "reality" TV or dozens of cooking shows. :roll:
I rarely watch TV anymore. Only thing that would interest me there are movies and some TV series anyways, but WITHOUT commercials every 20 min. and in good quality, so I have Blu-rays and DVDs instead, way better in every sense.

The thing with the covers is - music is 95% subjective anyways, so the judges need something they can relate to, familiar songs. If someone comes with his own song, they can't relate that to anything. The contestant can always say that's 100% the way he intended the song to sound. It's harder to critizise not only a performer, but also a songwriter. Especially since often enough, those judges maybe had success in music, but aren't really that talented themselves...success doesn't necessarily mean quality. Also, most of the audience rather listens to familiar stuff. But I agree with you, it would be more interesting with own songs.

Oh right, I remember hearing about one Kardahsian posting something about going to an island during Corona and "finally having normality back" or some shit like that...only shows how far those people are away from normality. But...again, they have a huge audience who care for them...for whatever reason.

I like Ozzy, he seems a funny guy in interviews and I appreciate what he contributed to Metal, but let's be honest - the guy was intoxicated for decades with all kinds of drugs, he probably doesn't even remember half of what he did, and that's visible on The Osbournes. It's really not the side of him that I want to see. Also, like most other things he has done in decades, it seems to have been all decided by Sharon to make more and more money. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even realize back then he was on a TV show. :lol:

Back to Adam...I hope he finds what he's looking for in music. Though he became famous through a talent show, I hope he can acchieve more in music than just return to that and basically wasting his time shutting 99% of the contestants down. If he does it for fun (and of course money) for a little time, okay, but I think he still hasn't found his own identity musically speaking. Singing for Queen is a once in a lifetime chance that he HAD to take, but it won't last forever obviously. I know his albums so far have lots of fans and maybe he can continue successful that way in the future on his own...I just think he is capable of more than just doing the usual pop album, especially with that extraordanary voice. But he seems happy doing what he does, so that's most important.
I'd have more interest if there was a reality show where people sang their own music. Idol, the Voice, same old, same old which is why I stopped watching years ago.
I've never been more annoyed by the Kardashians than I have been this year. They truly live in their own world.
I don't think AL is going to find what he's looking for. It's like watching ping pong balls going back and forth. I don't find him all that original to be honest, he had such promise, but I think it's very telling how he has put more time and effort in Q+AL than his solo career.

Ray

Post by Ray »

midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 am Well, as long as he is in a box of singing other people's music even more than his own, he really doesn't have a style or genre, he's basically copying what has done many times before.
That doesn't make him any "less" of a singer/artist though. Classical musicians have mostly played old music not written by them for decades/centuries now and it's amazing what they acchieved by that. It's all a matter of perspective - with current musicians one expects them to have their own music, but over time every (good) music becomes just cover music since the artists die some day. And Adam even wrote some own music...to stick out in pop music nowadays is almost impossible, especially because most big stars are "produced" as fashion models who not necessarily have a lot of talent, but make "hit music" that sells well...until it's soon already "music of yesterday". That's the (mainstream) music scene today...and also for the most part yesterday. When music is fashion and only good when it's new, it's no good in the long run.

midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 amI don't think AL is going to find what he's looking for. It's like watching ping pong balls going back and forth. I don't find him all that original to be honest, he had such promise, but I think it's very telling how he has put more time and effort in Q+AL than his solo career.
Again, as hard (almost impossible) it is to make it in music today on your own, it's a nobrainer he made that decision - EVERYONE who isn't already Elvis or Michael Jackson would do so. Singing Queen music with two original members beats every chance he can have in a solo career. If you consider where he came from (basically nothing), it's even more understandable he's given Queen priority. He is a huge fan himself, Brian and Roger were the ones who gave him an opportunity...actually it would be kinda rude if he'd say to them "you know what, thanks for everything, but please play your last concerts now with someone else". And it's not like he hasn't done anything on his own...QAL has a (soon) expiration date, his solo career can wait. He would be extremely dumb to put his solo career over QAL. He's already acchieved more than most, there are countless musicians with even more talent than Adam that nobody ever hears about! The music business is extremely hard and he makes the best out of it.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm
midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 am Well, as long as he is in a box of singing other people's music even more than his own, he really doesn't have a style or genre, he's basically copying what has done many times before.
That doesn't make him any "less" of a singer/artist though. Classical musicians have mostly played old music not written by them for decades/centuries now and it's amazing what they acchieved by that. It's all a matter of perspective - with current musicians one expects them to have their own music, but over time every (good) music becomes just cover music since the artists die some day. And Adam even wrote some own music...to stick out in pop music nowadays is almost impossible, especially because most big stars are "produced" as fashion models who not necessarily have a lot of talent, but make "hit music" that sells well...until it's soon already "music of yesterday". That's the (mainstream) music scene today...and also for the most part yesterday. When music is fashion and only good when it's new, it's no good in the long run.

midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:53 amI don't think AL is going to find what he's looking for. It's like watching ping pong balls going back and forth. I don't find him all that original to be honest, he had such promise, but I think it's very telling how he has put more time and effort in Q+AL than his solo career.
Again, as hard (almost impossible) it is to make it in music today on your own, it's a nobrainer he made that decision - EVERYONE who isn't already Elvis or Michael Jackson would do so. Singing Queen music with two original members beats every chance he can have in a solo career. If you consider where he came from (basically nothing), it's even more understandable he's given Queen priority. He is a huge fan himself, Brian and Roger were the ones who gave him an opportunity...actually it would be kinda rude if he'd say to them "you know what, thanks for everything, but please play your last concerts now with someone else". And it's not like he hasn't done anything on his own...QAL has a (soon) expiration date, his solo career can wait. He would be extremely dumb to put his solo career over QAL. He's already acchieved more than most, there are countless musicians with even more talent than Adam that nobody ever hears about! The music business is extremely hard and he makes the best out of it.
I think of how far Lady Gaga has come in almost the same period as AL, and she has grown as an artist and all around entertainer, and boy she has proven one can stand out, do so much. She's certainly made her mark, and this is from someone who honestly didn't like her all that much at first.
I do feel AL is in a box. One of his own making I guess. He didn't want to make an 80's cover album, but decided to tour with Brian and Roger for nearly a decade. I hate to say it, but there really isn't all that original about AL in my opinion. Except for Feel Something, I can't even identify with him these days. I really appreciate when I can identify with music, the words, vocals, everything that goes into it.
I will be honest, Q+AL has lasted longer than I thought it would. I have to eat my hat there.

Ray

Post by Ray »

midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pmI think of how far Lady Gaga has come in almost the same period as AL, and she has grown as an artist and all around entertainer, and boy she has proven one can stand out, do so much. She's certainly made her mark, and this is from someone who honestly didn't like her all that much at first.

I do feel AL is in a box. One of his own making I guess. He didn't want to make an 80's cover album, but decided to tour with Brian and Roger for nearly a decade. I hate to say it, but there really isn't all that original about AL in my opinion. Except for Feel Something, I can't even identify with him these days. I really appreciate when I can identify with music, the words, vocals, everything that goes into it.
I will be honest, Q+AL has lasted longer than I thought it would. I have to eat my hat there.
Well, nobody "forces" you to like or appreciate what Adam has done with his career - there is NO artist who is liked by everyone. Only thing I said was is that from his point of view, his career decisions made absolutely sense. You don't have to like it, but in his position, pretty much everyone would have done the same.

And Lady Gaga...she is one out of how many, 5-10, at best 20 "mega stars" worldwide right now? You know how many million musicians there are? It's already hard making a living from music, but getting as far as someone like f.e. Lady Gaga is as rare as winning the lottery 5 times in a row! You can't just compare any musicians to the most successful ones at the planet...of course they pale in comparison then. (at least with success and impact) And tbh, as someone who doesn't listen to mainstream music, I couldn't even name one of her songs...first times I heard of her was not because of her music, but because she wore meat and other weird stuff. I saw "A Star Is Born", but her voice wasn't that special to me...I was rather impressed by her acting...though I didn't like the movie a lot. I heard good things about her, being a talented musician, but she didn't grab my attention yet...not even by wearing meat.^^ And tbh, considering she's a huge Queen fan herself, he's probably the first to understand Adam's decisions. She would have done the same.

And comparing touring with Queen, with some 80s cover album...I don't know what covers it would have been, but to me that's a huge difference. What impact does one make with some random cover album...compared to singing next to two original members of one of the biggest bands ever and touring the world for years doing that?

Music is highly subjective - there are people who don't even like Beethoven or the Beatles, so yeah...everybody has a different taste. Adam has his fans and I think he knows best what's good for him.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

Is Adam any less known around the world than current pop star, Billie Eilish? I don’t think so. She hasn’t toured worldwide like Adam has, both solo and with QAL. Adam isn’t a flash in the pan one hit wonder. He has longevity as long as he takes care of his incredible vocal cords!

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

carolb57 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:52 pm Is Adam any less known around the world than current pop star, Billie Eilish? I don’t think so. She hasn’t toured worldwide like Adam has, both solo and with QAL. Adam isn’t a flash in the pan one hit wonder. He has longevity as long as he takes care of his incredible vocal cords!
AL isn't and never was as popular as you want others to believe.
Um, there is a pandemic happening for a year now, that's probably why Billie Ellish has not toured worldwide. And like her or not, At least she's not riding on coattails making her way.
When has AL had a last hit single on this side of the pond? Do tell. Certainly there hasn't been one with his last albums.
He wouldn't have lasted this long if not for Queen, I will dare say that much. What he known for is singing other people's songs.

midnight sky

Post by midnight sky »

Ray wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:11 pm
midnight sky wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pmI think of how far Lady Gaga has come in almost the same period as AL, and she has grown as an artist and all around entertainer, and boy she has proven one can stand out, do so much. She's certainly made her mark, and this is from someone who honestly didn't like her all that much at first.

Well, nobody "forces" you to like or appreciate what Adam has done with his career - there is NO artist who is liked by everyone. Only thing I said was is that from his point of view, his career decisions made absolutely sense. You don't have to like it, but in his position, pretty much everyone would have done the same.

And Lady Gaga...she is one out of how many, 5-10, at best 20 "mega stars" worldwide right now? You know how many million musicians there are? It's already hard making a living from music, but getting as far as someone like f.e. Lady Gaga is as rare as winning the lottery 5 times in a row! You can't just compare any musicians to the most successful ones at the planet...of course they pale in comparison then. (at least with success and impact) And tbh, as someone who doesn't listen to mainstream music, I couldn't even name one of her songs...first times I heard of her was not because of her music, but because she wore meat and other weird stuff. I saw "A Star Is Born", but her voice wasn't that special to me...I was rather impressed by her acting...though I didn't like the movie a lot. I heard good things about her, being a talented musician, but she didn't grab my attention yet...not even by wearing meat.^^ And tbh, considering she's a huge Queen fan herself, he's probably the first to understand Adam's decisions. She would have done the same.

And comparing touring with Queen, with some 80s cover album...I don't know what covers it would have been, but to me that's a huge difference. What impact does one make with some random cover album...compared to singing next to two original members of one of the biggest bands ever and touring the world for years doing that?

Music is highly subjective - there are people who don't even like Beethoven or the Beatles, so yeah...everybody has a different taste. Adam has his fans and I think he knows best what's good for him.
Well, you are open to discussion which I appreciate.
I don't think everyone would have jumped at the chance actually. There are many artists who have stood out without singing Queen songs and relying on singing Queen songs for the better part of a decade.
AL really turned me away from him when he said regarding Velvet that he wanted to catch Queen fans ears. And I think he has blurred the lines often with his solo music and Queen's music. If his birthday shows go ahead, I expect a Queen cover or two, maybe even Brian and or Roger joining from afar for a song or two, since there will be "surprises".
Of course not everyone likes the same things, I appreciate that you realise that.

carolb57

Post by carolb57 »

One thing we know for sure — “midnight sky” will never work in Adam’s PR department because she thinks the only two songs he has sung worth talking about are “Save Me” and “Feel Simething.” :shock: :lol: