The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Thread

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Thread

Postby bigV » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Simon wrote:
soxtalon wrote:Chris Thompson I think...

That's right. I think I saw a setlist which was allegedly the real one and that name was listed after Magic.

Gray Moore was in the grand finale during WATC. I wonder if he was supposed to play the solo on Magic...

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 pm

bigV wrote:Gray Moore was in the grand finale during WATC. I wonder if he was supposed to play the solo on Magic...

Shit, really? I'm a massive Gary Moore fan, sucks if his appearance was cut!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby soxtalon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I think he was just visiting. The Scorpions were there too and they weren't scheduled for anything...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Fair enough. I know he knew the band from when they toured with Thin Lizzy in the US, while Gary was a member (second time around). I think I remember reading Roger talking about him when he passed away not long ago.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm

soxtalon wrote:I think he was just visiting. The Scorpions were there too and they weren't scheduled for anything...

IIRC,on an interview with Erica Ehm did with a couple of band members, The Scorpions were there as a support system for Brian, Roger and John.
I'm more than a little surprised they didn't play, as the band was popular at the time. Winds Of Change was a big hit over here.
ETA~I would like to know if anyone heard rumors back in the day if Bryan Adams was to appear?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Rickyboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

Here's what I posted on a similar thread a couple of years ago (April 27th 2010, to be precise) about my experience of attending the gig:

On April 27th 2010, the day before his 39th birthday (he's now 41), Rickyboy wrote:In a rare moment of awareness (and perhaps to make up for refusing an advance of my pocket money when tickets for Manchester Maine Road Stadium went on sale on the Magic Tour), the night the gig was announced at the Brits by Roger while I watched it at a friend’s house just up the road, my mum got straight on the phone and booked two tickets as soon as lines opened. My brother came round to tell me that she’d done this, and I was amazed that a) she’d been so on the ball with it, as the whole concept of booking tickets over the phone and the need to do it as soon as possible and persevere until you get through was totally alien to her; and b) the thought had even occurred to her to do it in the first place.

And so it was that very early in the morning of April 20th, which was Easter Monday that year, my parents drove my brother and I to Manchester Piccadilly train station for our train to the capital. A new VHS cassette had been purchased, and strict orders given to record the TV coverage on long play (DVDs, Sky Plus and the internet were the stuff of sci-fi back then), arrangements had been made to kip on the floor of friends we knew from the Convention who very conveniently lived in Wembley, and sandwiches and carton drinks had been packed in bum bags given out as part of the goodie bag package at the Convention the previous year. What fashionistas we were.

I was 8 days short of my 21st birthday (yes people, it’s my birthday tomorrow so feel free to shower me with your very best wishes and offers of sex), and my brother wasn’t far off his 16th. It was my second visit to London without parental accompaniment (the first one was a very eventful trip to the Fan Club Christmas do in 1990 – see old forum for what happened on that occasion), so it was all a bit of an adventure. The train journey was uneventful, the tube journey to Wembley easily managed, and we were met there by our friends who took us back to their flat. All achieved without the aid of mobile phones.

Never having been to Wembley, and knowing how big it was, I was keen to get a good spot at the front, so was chomping at the bit to get to the stadium as soon as possible. We set off for a pub where we were to meet an addition to our group. I thought we might just have a quick drink and be on our way, but my heart sank when Jackie ordered food. As she was our host for the evening I didn’t raise any objection, but I could see my hopes for a good spot fading fast.

Food consumed and impatience to get moving concealed, we finally left and caught a bus to the stadium. The queue was already massive, and I really couldn’t see how a decent spot could be achieved now. Still, the atmosphere was great. At one point a limo made its way very slowly through the throng, struggling to get through the crowds of people pressing their faces against the windows to see who was inside. I had a look as it passed us and realised it was Axl Rose, eyes to the floor to avoid eye contact with anyone peering in.

As the gates opened and the queue started to move, I resisted the urge to visit the merchandise stall just by the steps to the gate. I didn’t want any further delays in finding my spot. Once through the gates, we legged it towards the stage, and although we didn’t get anywhere near the front, we settled on a respectable spot just to the left of a black fabric tent (the first structure on the pitch out from the stage) which I presume was the mixing desk. The atmosphere just kept on growing.

I remember it as being a warm, balmy evening, with a cooling breeze occasionally wafting over the crowd. We were kept entertained with videos on the large screens. The gig itself is something of a blur to me now, but there were some moments that I remember very clearly. The joy of John Deacon addressing the crowd for what I think was the very first time ever for him; the guy stood just behind me who sang at the top of his voice throughout Extreme’s set but thankfully shut up after that; Spinal Tap’s equipment failure (ah, the irony of Spinal Tap suffering a genuine Tap moment) and Michael McKean having to improvise until they got it sorted; Brian’s appearance with Def Leppard going down extremely well; Guns & Roses playing a stormer of a set and Axl’s defiant “Shove it!!” to the minority of protestors at his alleged homophobia; Elizabeth Taylor’s response to some wag who heckled her during her speech; the opening of the Queen+ section and various surprise partnerships that followed; George Michael’s absolute show-stopping Somebody To Love; David Bowie’s performance of Heroes being utterly spine-tingling before his impromptu recital of the Lord’s Prayer had people shuffling uncomfortably; Innuendo going decidedly pear-shaped when Robert Plant appeared to forget the lyrics, but redeeming himself with an amazing rendition of Crazy Little Thing Called Love; Axl erupting on to the stage for the rock section of Bohemian Rhapsody; Brian’s emotional Too Much Love Will Kill You (completely misinterpreted by the press at the time who took the title too literally); things going very wrong during Stone Cold Crazy where the band completely lost their way and James Hetfield said “Uh-Oh!” before they wrestled it back; Brian’s very emotional introduction of Liza Minelli. Although I could see the stage, I found myself watching the screens most of the time, holding my camera up to take photos which came back from the chemists as mostly useless. Nonetheless, it was an amazing day.

The following day was spent wandering around London before catching the train home. We went to Rock Circus, which if I remember rightly was in the Trocadero Centre and isn’t there any more. We were appalled to see that the waxwork of Freddie in all his Live Aid pomp had been put on a rostrum and they were charging people to have their photos taken next to it but not donating the profits to the Phoenix Trust. Oh, the outrage.

Watching the gig back once we were home, although it had looked and sounded amazing at the show, it was clear the band weren’t playing at their peak. There were a lot of mistakes and much of the songs sounded a little lacklustre through the TV speakers. But who could blame them? It was the biggest gig they’d ever played and they were without their frontman. That’s bound to mess anyone up on stage.

I remember getting the double VHS of the gig when it was released, and noticing that a lot of post-production tweaking and overdubbing had gone on. A banner on the cover said “Re-edited and Re-mixed”, which was something of an understatement. Stone Cold Crazy sounded flawless; Hetfield’s “Uh-Oh!” had been cut out; Brian’s guitar solo during Somebody To Love had been completely overdubbed (it hadn’t gone very well on the night); the first few lines of We Will Rock You where Axl’s mic hadn’t been turned on were now completely audible, amongst other things. It sounded far better than the TV coverage, but it wasn’t a completely honest recording of the gig. And lots of bits were completely missing – Spinal Tap had been cut out altogether, Extreme and Def Leppard’s sets were cut short, for example.

Years later, when the DVD was released, the entire first half of the gig was missing (presumably due to rights issues regarding other bands’ songs), and the picture had been cropped to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, removing the top and bottom completely. A stupid move. An excellent opportunity to restore footage cut out of the VHS release and utilise the format to any number of useful ends completely wasted. I’m sure those ‘lost’ moments are probably on YouTube somewhere by now.

Still, it’s 18 years ago now. Crikey. I was on the cusp of 21 at the time. I’m 39 tomorrow. :shock:

Rickyboy
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 am

Awesome post, Rickyboy, thanks for recalling all of that and for going in such detail. :bigups:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am

bigV wrote:
Simon wrote:
soxtalon wrote:Chris Thompson I think...

That's right. I think I saw a setlist which was allegedly the real one and that name was listed after Magic.

Gray Moore was in the grand finale during WATC. I wonder if he was supposed to play the solo on Magic...

V.

Usually during Liza I'm in tears ad my attention is on Brian, Roger and John so um, who was he standing next to during WATC?
**embarassed** :oops:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Another question...was it aired on any of your local radio stations, or even not local stations, if so which one/s? It was on OZ FM in my neck of the woods before MuchMusic aired it on the day.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Belladonic haze » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 am

Hi everyone.

A long, long, emotional, intense day I will never, ever forget.
I was a member of the press in those days and I recall sending my request for a media pass I think no less than two months in advance (no internet ;) ). I was living in Barcelona at the time and in denial regarding Freddie's death (still am btw). When I received the approval letter from the press office I actually couldn't believe my eyes.
The entire thing was so totally overwhelming and so emotional it clouded my ability to remember a lot of details, except those strictly of the performances (which I remember to a tee).
I cried like a baby and I remember hoping the whole thing would represent some sort of emotional closure to my many years as a devoted Queen/Freddie fan, but it didn't :P
I was physically and emotionally exhausted upon my return to my lodgings and I distinctively recall waking up quite early the morning after to BBC radio and hearing some announcer talk about Benny Hill's death. I thought I was still asleep and dreaming for some reason. After a while I got up, took a shower and spent a good hour or so having breakfast and trying to put my mind and feelings in order, writing down all I could remember since I actually had to write a four-page article for a rock magazine in my country. Then I got out and proceeded to buy ALL the newspapers I could find. In the vast majority of those (and I bought quite a few) the Benny Hill news had displaced the Tribute coverage from the covers and main pages. I keep some of them still, as well as the ticket and the media passes, the program and a few of the specially printed mags for the occasion.

I took a walk around Kensington that afternoon and was in a very weird mood for quite a few days even after returning to Barcelona. Definitely one VERY intense experience that sometimes still feels like a strange kind of dream.

Belladonic haze
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:54 am

Bumping this in case anyone else would like to add anything.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 am

I will add this to my thoughts on the day. I never could have imagined how much Freddie, Brian, Roger and John would change my life, nor this concert.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Pingu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Twenty One Years. Oh Lord.
A few thoughts on the tribute's rather throwaway reputation today.
I wouldn't say it was the greatest concert in hindsight (although the footage only fractionally captures the emotional feeling in the stadium that day) but it was definitely a significant day for me and a large part of the crowd too I imagine. Often on this board I see people who've managed to catch Queen+ PR or even +AL saying how moved and overwhelmed they were to finally see their heroes in action, while a lot of other people say "Meh, doesn't seem like the Queen I remember". The thing is that's exactly how I feel about the tribute, and its reputation today. It wasn't the Wembley gig I really wanted to see of course, as that had happened in 1986 - but it was something ultimately better and more rewarding because it was real and I was actually there. I didn't see any of the PR gigs although I was a 20 minute bus ride from two venues they played at, as I knew it wouldn't be what I really wanted. But I bet there were people who did attend who will remember those gigs forever. I've been to a lot of concerts where frankly I wish I'd stayed home and got the DVD - lousy views, crap sound, drunks falling into you, people getting up and going to the bar every five minutes etc. This was one gig where despite the crap view, lousy sound, drunks falling into me, people barging past to go to the bar, not to mention the dehydration, the fatigue and the having to "sleep" in a station concourse afterwards, I honestly would not mind if the footage was as lost as Knebworth because the day itself was so memorable. (I'm glad it exists of course for those who couldn't make it.) It was ultimately an event, and for me even if the gig was not extraordinary, the event certainly was.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I think the audience added as much as some of the performers. Gosh they were so into it. It blew me away then, and it does now...and this from someone who has only watched it on TV.
I remember watching Live Aid on the day, I admit I was probably too young to understand it all at the time. The Freddie TRibute I understood very well, and as the years went on on even more so about so much. Life, death, courage, how people can come together and be split apart during hard times, having the guts to make a change, and so much more.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I didn't mean to bump this thread, I somehow did that, the above post of mine was from last year.
22 years though. I think it still remains a great event all these years later.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions