The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Thread

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Thread

Postby jimbo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 pm

icy wrote:I didn't mean to bump this thread, I somehow did that, the above post of mine was from last year.
22 years though. I think it still remains a great event all these years later.

I was there, it was a brilliant, memorable, emotional day!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:06 pm

What has always mystified me about this concert is the choice of singers/bands. I recall Brian or Roger saying something like they had to turn people away from performing because they had so many that had offered their services; if that was the case, why the fuck did they choose folks like Lisa Stansfield, Seal, Zucchero, Paul Young?

Away from that shit, I do still recollect the feeling I felt that day: a mixture of true pride, and absolute heartbreak that Freddie was really, truly gone - it was the funeral I needed to accept that the man I adored and respected so, so much was never coming back. He had always seemed so immortal to me that it took my brain and heart a good while until I accepted that this splash of colour of a man was gone.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby icy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks jimbo and musicalprostitute. Always great to read people's memories/thoughts about it.
I still am puzzled that Spinal Tap appeared out of everyone. Queen had some good old pop in the catalogue, so maybe that's why some acts appeared.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Simon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 pm

And most people were the who's who in pop music. i don't remember much about this. Wasn't interested in music much then, but I remember my brother stayed up and was very proud. He listened a bit to Queen, but more importantly Guns n Roses and Metallica were the coolest thing ever to appear there. And I guess that still is true nowadays.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Simon wrote:And most people were the who's who in pop music. i don't remember much about this. Wasn't interested in music much then, but I remember my brother stayed up and was very proud. He listened a bit to Queen, but more importantly Guns n Roses and Metallica were the coolest thing ever to appear there. And I guess that still is true nowadays.

I was just back into rock music, it wasn't on my radar for a year. I was annoyed that Axl appeared, as it was said he was homophobic at the time. As someone who was living through it at the time, that annoyed me. I was told he admired Freddie/Queen so I got over that. And oh my gosh, I'm still wanting the recent release of the show where many performers played their own music. I love that except for Spinal Tap.
What stood out to me and still does was Elton John and Axl Rose. I've come to think of that as brilliant.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Deacon John » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 am

Something I stumbled across tonight which I found interesting was Ian Hunter's thoughts on being part of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, in response to a question posted to him on the Horse's Mouth section of his website (http://ianhunter.com/main/hm-147.shtml):

"1) Roger seemed to have a huge part in the event as Brian was still too upset. 2) I couldn’t believe the scale of it. 76,000 live and an billion saw it on television. Rehearsals were fun. Elton – a gentleman. Could have done without the faux drama, but it had to be a highlight in my life. Fred deserved every bit of it."

Interesting comment about Roger's level of involvement; I've heard a number of stories over the years of Brian's involvement is choosing guests etc, though Brian does tend to be more forthcoming in discussing these things. First time I've seen someone use the words 'faux drama' in relation to the show, but Ian doesn't seem to be one to mince his words.

Looking back further through earlier editions of Horse's Mouth, back in August 2003 Ian rated this concert as one of his two most memorable gigs to date.
"If I could sing it would be lovely."

Deacon John
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Deacon John wrote:Something I stumbled across tonight which I found interesting was Ian Hunter's thoughts on being part of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, in response to a question posted to him on the Horse's Mouth section of his website (http://ianhunter.com/main/hm-147.shtml):

"1) Roger seemed to have a huge part in the event as Brian was still too upset. 2) I couldn’t believe the scale of it. 76,000 live and an billion saw it on television. Rehearsals were fun. Elton – a gentleman. Could have done without the faux drama, but it had to be a highlight in my life. Fred deserved every bit of it."

Interesting comment about Roger's level of involvement; I've heard a number of stories over the years of Brian's involvement is choosing guests etc, though Brian does tend to be more forthcoming in discussing these things. First time I've seen someone use the words 'faux drama' in relation to the show, but Ian doesn't seem to be one to mince his words.

Looking back further through earlier editions of Horse's Mouth, back in August 2003 Ian rated this concert as one of his two most memorable gigs to date.

Thanks so much for this. I've never come across it before. Insightful read.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:08 pm

23 years to the day. I hope it will never be forgotten, the man, the music, the life, and lives.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Bad Guy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:54 pm

I remember watching this, I was 9 years old at the time...

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby dazh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:07 pm

I was lucky enough to go the first part of the show I liked because it featured music I still listen to this day.
The second part in retrospect was a bit hit and miss was not impressed with Paul Young or Zucherro,everybody else were excellent could have done without Bowie saying the lord's prayer very embarrassing.

dazh
Spread Your Wings

Postby action » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:12 am

musicalprostitute wrote:What has always mystified me about this concert is the choice of singers/bands. I recall Brian or Roger saying something like they had to turn people away from performing because they had so many that had offered their services; if that was the case, why the fuck did they choose folks like Lisa Stansfield, Seal, Zucchero, Paul Young?

Away from that shit, I do still recollect the feeling I felt that day: a mixture of true pride, and absolute heartbreak that Freddie was really, truly gone - it was the funeral I needed to accept that the man I adored and respected so, so much was never coming back. He had always seemed so immortal to me that it took my brain and heart a good while until I accepted that this splash of colour of a man was gone.

for the same reason they worked with five, nstink, britney spears, crazy frog.

because they have become old, sad, rich and totally useless.

1992 already was the year too much.

made in heaven in the form is was released, was a puncture of light in a black hole of nothingness
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby action » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 am

icy wrote:
Simon wrote:And most people were the who's who in pop music. i don't remember much about this. Wasn't interested in music much then, but I remember my brother stayed up and was very proud. He listened a bit to Queen, but more importantly Guns n Roses and Metallica were the coolest thing ever to appear there. And I guess that still is true nowadays.

I was just back into rock music, it wasn't on my radar for a year. I was annoyed that Axl appeared, as it was said he was homophobic at the time. As someone who was living through it at the time, that annoyed me. I was told he admired Freddie/Queen so I got over that. And oh my gosh, I'm still wanting the recent release of the show where many performers played their own music. I love that except for Spinal Tap.
What stood out to me and still does was Elton John and Axl Rose. I've come to think of that as brilliant.

he isnt homophobic at all.

this all comes from a lyrics in a song called "one in a million" where it goes: "immigrants and faggots, get out of my way. dont need to buy none of your gold chains today. dont need no bracelets, clamped in front of my back. Just need my ticket till then, won't you cut me some slack?"

didnt say anything bad about gays, just called them "faggots" i guess for shock value and questionable comedic impact. he was at a time being sexually harrassed by a gay man in his sleep, basicall being raped. maybe that's where this lyric comes from.

with elton john and queen being his two single biggest influences, i doubt he can be called homophobic.
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby icy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:00 pm

action wrote:
icy wrote:

he isnt homophobic at all.

this all comes from a lyrics in a song called "one in a million" where it goes: "immigrants and faggots, get out of my way. dont need to buy none of your gold chains today. dont need no bracelets, clamped in front of my back. Just need my ticket till then, won't you cut me some slack?"

didnt say anything bad about gays, just called them "faggots" i guess for shock value and questionable comedic impact. he was at a time being sexually harrassed by a gay man in his sleep, basicall being raped. maybe that's where this lyric comes from.

with elton john and queen being his two single biggest influences, i doubt he can be called homophobic.

I know that now,but I didn't at the time. I didn't quite understand some things back then.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Found it.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:45 am

Bump. Will write more of my thoughts later.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free