Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I wonder if it's more of a testimony to how good the song is, that it doesn't need Freddie's voice to make it awesome, or to Brian, that given enough genuine emotion he may have outsung Freddie Mercury. :P
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby lolita » Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Fred.
Brian's version brings out the mopey side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying cause I've got lurve issues' side), whereas Fred's brings out the grotesque side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying, and I'm rubbing my own nose in it' side). Brian's version makes me cringe in the same way In Only Seven Days makes me cringe. Fred's version makes me cringe because it sounds like a sick accusation. Not a fan of the song, overall, but I prefer Fred's version because of his voice and because, for me, being grotesque is far more interesting than being mopey.
 
lolita
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:50 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Roger On Fire » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm

I prefer the Brian version, yeah.... mostly beacuse it's the first version I had listened to, then I think his voice is more "suitable" with the rest of the music. I don't mean I hate the Freddie version, but.... I know it's strage, but I can not join this kind of melody with the voice of Freddie, I don't know why.... perhaps in according with my first point. However, it's an amazing song, can't hate it!
 
Roger On Fire
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Now to err is somethin' human and forgiving so divine

      
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby ultrasoundz » Thu May 27, 2010 4:04 pm

I agree with most people here that the Brian solo version trumps the Queen MIH version hands down. When we first heard TMLWKY at the tribute concert I thought it was a wonderful song, and such a shame Freddie would never sing it. But then it turned out he HAD sung a version of it and it got released on MIH. But it turned out to be an anticlimax.

Quite apart from the far more emotional delivery of Brian's vocal (for obvious reasons given the turmoil in his private life at the time) and that, as others have said, Freddie's vocal was uncharacteristically dispassionate, I actually prefer the overall arrangement of the solo version as well. Much as I love the sound of the Red Special and all the amazing solos Dr May has played for us over the years, I honestly think this song can do without it. If for once Queen had held back on the bombast production, the song would have held together far better - but instead they gave it the works and sadly the overall effect was overly brash.

I miss the beautiful little acoustic guitar coda that Bri played at the end of his own version of the song - a very poignant way to end. He was always very good at the emotive endings - à la Sail Away Sweet Sister and Who Wants To Live Forever. Sadly again the effect was lost on the MIH version.

All in all, for these reasons, Iave to say it's probably my least favourite track on MIH ...only because of the production. In all other respects it's a great song!
http://www.colvex.co.uk ...the baddest things happen in threes
 
ultrasoundz
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am
Location: London
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Belle Leisha » Thu May 27, 2010 7:31 pm

lolita wrote:Fred.
Brian's version brings out the mopey side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying cause I've got lurve issues' side), whereas Fred's brings out the grotesque side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying, and I'm rubbing my own nose in it' side). Brian's version makes me cringe in the same way In Only Seven Days makes me cringe. Fred's version makes me cringe because it sounds like a sick accusation. Not a fan of the song, overall, but I prefer Fred's version because of his voice and because, for me, being grotesque is far more interesting than being mopey.



In Only Seven Days makes me cringe too, annoyingly because I love it, it's just that little bit too sweet. I don't find that with Too Much Love at all, the video is...well, what can you say really? :lol: But the song I think is beautiful, I like both because I don't think either were meant to be quite so literal or sound that way, Brian sounds like a man in enough pain to perform a song which is really beyond his vocal power, Freddie sounds like an awesome singer who's not all that into the song he's singing.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Wild/Wind » Thu May 27, 2010 7:36 pm

My Best friend works in an Greek small island near to Curfu called @@@@, there Frank Musker has home, he lives for the biggest part of the year. My friend meets him almost everyday - Frank speaks Greek like a Greek. He told me that he is going to ask him which version he prefers.

I tell you the truth!!! But as question is difficult... I hope we get a clear answer.

P.S. I will meet him this summer!!
 
Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 am
Location: Here There and Everywhere
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Music » Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 pm

I prefer Bri's version. The Queen version always strikes me just as a cover, it's been altered a bit but not enough to sound like a lot of effort's been put into making it the group's own.
 
Music
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:10 pm
Location: North Britannia
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby y2marmar » Thu May 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Wild/Wind wrote:My Best friend works in an Greek small island near to Curfu called @@@@, there Frank Musker has home, he lives for the biggest part of the year. My friend meets him almost everyday - Frank speaks Greek like a Greek. He told me that he is going to ask him which version he prefers.

I tell you the truth!!! But as question is difficult... I hope we get a clear answer.

P.S. I will meet him this summer!!


That'd be interesting. I'd be interested in hearing that
See me, feel me, touch me, heal me...
 
y2marmar
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Ireland
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Mattcooper » Sat May 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I don't actually know which version I prefer.

In Brians version, the emotion is obviously there, and it is a much more powerful version, and no doubt, he is a good singer; but I find his voice to be whiny when singing the high notes in particular.

Freddies version, is not as emotional, but I do feel his vocals somewhat make up for this.

So I'm still undecided.
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource
 
Mattcooper
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 4:03 pm
Location: London - UK
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby newville » Sun May 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Mattcooper wrote:In Brians version, the emotion is obviously there, and it is a much more powerful version, and no doubt, he is a good singer; but I find his voice to be whiny when singing the high notes in particular.

Freddies version, is not as emotional, but I do feel his vocals somewhat make up for this.


I agree, Brian's version is very emotional and personal-sounding, but it lets him down because of his nasal, thin sounding voice at the top end of his range, that doesn't quite carry the impact as the song builds, whereas Freddie sounds very comfortable (too comfortable?) in the range of the song.

I much prefer the Queen version - Freddie's vocal is effortless and I love the Queen signature sound all over the track (including the guitar solo!). They play this song on Radio Gibraltar all the time while I'm at work and it's lovely to hear it as often!

Stephen
 
newville
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby M&M » Mon May 31, 2010 12:51 am

This is hard because I'm not that crazy about the song itself. It's a bit too maudlin for my taste. When I heard Freddie's version on MIH, I remember thinking that it sounded as if Freddie really didn't like the song either! Brian's voice suits the song better, but like Dittany said a few posts back, he sounds like he's gone over the edge. I guess I'll vote Freddie's version: it's much less depressing, and I don't feel the need to call the Good Samaritans after I've listened to it!
 
M&M
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 2:44 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby lolita » Mon May 31, 2010 1:47 am

Belle Leisha wrote:
lolita wrote:Fred.
Brian's version brings out the mopey side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying cause I've got lurve issues' side), whereas Fred's brings out the grotesque side of the song (the 'ooh, I'm dying, and I'm rubbing my own nose in it' side). Brian's version makes me cringe in the same way In Only Seven Days makes me cringe. Fred's version makes me cringe because it sounds like a sick accusation. Not a fan of the song, overall, but I prefer Fred's version because of his voice and because, for me, being grotesque is far more interesting than being mopey.



In Only Seven Days makes me cringe too, annoyingly because I love it, it's just that little bit too sweet. I don't find that with Too Much Love at all, the video is...well, what can you say really? :lol: But the song I think is beautiful, I like both because I don't think either were meant to be quite so literal or sound that way, Brian sounds like a man in enough pain to perform a song which is really beyond his vocal power, Freddie sounds like an awesome singer who's not all that into the song he's singing.


I don't know, to me he sounds as if he is into it just as much as Brian is into it, but to him it means something completely different. Like someone below said, Brian's version is pretty much maudlin. Freddie's version, to my ear, at least, is really, really angry - especially the 'pain will make you crazy' part - now, that is the bit when I actually cringe, cause I can honestly feel the pain and rage. I know it wasn't meant to be taken literally, but, as the reviewer from Q wrote, some resonances are simply too strong to be ignored. I guess that, in my book, Brian singing about something that, in his case, can be interpreted as pain caused by relationship/love problems pales in comparison with Fred singing about something that could be interpreted as anger with the universe that made him ill. Just the feeling I get. But, as I said, I'm not a fan of the song anyway.
 
lolita
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:50 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby y2marmar » Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm

^ ^ ^ that's actually why I love Freddie's version. I think the emotion he shows is amazing. It blows me away each time, where as Brian doesn't seem to feel it as much. But....that's just my opinion.
See me, feel me, touch me, heal me...
 
y2marmar
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Ireland
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 pm

lolita wrote:
I don't know, to me he sounds as if he is into it just as much as Brian is into it, but to him it means something completely different. Like someone below said, Brian's version is pretty much maudlin. Freddie's version, to my ear, at least, is really, really angry - especially the 'pain will make you crazy' part - now, that is the bit when I actually cringe, cause I can honestly feel the pain and rage. I know it wasn't meant to be taken literally, but, as the reviewer from Q wrote, some resonances are simply too strong to be ignored. I guess that, in my book, Brian singing about something that, in his case, can be interpreted as pain caused by relationship/love problems pales in comparison with Fred singing about something that could be interpreted as anger with the universe that made him ill. Just the feeling I get. But, as I said, I'm not a fan of the song anyway.



Oh completely, I don't disagree with any of that at all. Just for me, I think the song itself is beautiful, yes it's depressing and taken in Freddie's case, almost sickening, but it's gorgeous. I do like Queen's version a lot, Freddie's vocals are never likely to be something that ruin a song after all! I don't think he sounds unemotional, just less of an attachment to the song and what he's singing than Brian. It's unfortunate really that the lyrics had such a double meaning depending on who was singing it, there is a definite whole other level of pain involved in Freddie singing it. While Brian's version could be called maudlin, I think it hits a very accurate note, in our own ability to create the end of the world over situations. I don't want to call it melodrama, but certainly the way for moments in time, we can think because something hurts, it must be the worst pain ever experienced by a human and despite what should be certain knowledge it won't last, nothing could convince us of that at the time. Despair, maybe. The only tiny thing I would say is that if it wasn't for a couple of lines, like "Torn between the lover, and the love you leave behind", it could have had a much less specific meaning. Clearly Brian wrote it about his own love life, but it could have been about any kind of pain, grief would be the most obvious one. So maybe Brian was just a tiny, tiny bit too personal with it, but I do love both versions, Brian's just a bit more.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Too Much Love from Brian or Too Much Love from Fred?!

Postby sebastian » Mon May 31, 2010 11:38 pm

Brian's: better piano, better arrangement IMO (I'm more classical oriented), wonderful harmonies, love the lead vocals especially 'make you plead and scream and crawl' (so emotional). And it's nice to hear it coming from the 'Resurrection' outro.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
 
sebastian
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 94 times

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests