Upcoming concerts, shows and events...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Didymus

Upcoming concerts, shows and events...

Post by Didymus »

On the previous board, we had quite a long running thread with many iterations about the various shows we were all going to see.

It made sense to me to bring that back here - so... who are you going to see? And who have you seen recently? Let's talk all things 'LIVE' here! 8-)

Didymus

Re: Upcoming concerts, shows and events...

Post by Didymus »

Just to separate out the thread topic from my own waffle...

2019 shaped up fairly well given I had less time and money than usual to attend things - thanks to a busier work life and buying a house that needed renovating. But I still managed to see...

• 06/03/19 - Jeremy & The Harlequins @ Night & Day, Manchester
  • 29/03/19 - Jinkx Monsoon & The Major Scales: The Ginger Snapped @ HOME, Manchester
  • 18/04/19 - Seaside Terror @ Waterside Arts, Sale
  • 25/04/19 - The Creepshow, Mad Jack & The Hatters, Dog Hand String @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
  • 27/04/19 - The Kathy Rocker Appreciation Gig (Fuck Cancer 2!) featuring Goldblade, The Kopek Millionaires, The Kingcrows, One Man Stand, Boggy Formby @ Star & Garter, Manchester
  • 10/05/19 - Peaches Christ's Drag Becomes Her starring Bendelacreme, Jinkx Monsoon & The Major Scales and Donna Trump @ HOME, Manchester
  • 20/05/19 - Manic Street Preachers @ The Ritz, Manchester
  • 21/05/19 - Adam Kay: This is Going To Hurt @ The Lowry, Manchester
  • 09/07/19 - Elbow @ Castlefield Bowl, Manchester
  • 11/07/19 - Kylie Minogue @ Castlefield Bowl, Manchester
  • 16/07/19 - Sarah Kendall: Paper Planes + Catherine Bohart: Lemon, compared by Toby Hadoke @ XS Malarky, The Bread Shed, Manchester
  • 23/08/19 - Dusty Ray Bottoms and Kim Chi with Violet Vogue and Miss Ellie Ganza @ Cruz 101, Manchester
  • 07/10/19 - The Rasmus @ o2 Ritz, Manchester
  • 14/10/19 - Elbow @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
  • 15/10/19 - Shuck 'n' Jive @ The Soho Theatre, London
  • 01/11/19 - Tim Minchin: Back @ The Liverpool Empire, Liverpool
  • 02/11/19 - Jonny & the Baptists Love You & Hate Bastards @ The Lowry, Salford
  • 08/11/19 - Show of Hands, FolkLaw @ The Forum, Bath
  • 09/11/19 - The Shade Pullers & Lash Stackers Social Club @ The Wardrobe Theatre, Bristol
  • 01/12/19 - Jinkx Monsoon and Bendelacreme: All I Want for Christmas is Attention @ The Palace Theatre, Manchester

Of those, my absolute highlights were seeing Elbow in a tiny social club in Leeds, meeting Jinkx Monsoon multiple times after amazing shows, dancing to Kylie with what felt like half of Manchester, and seeing Adam Kay, who I've known for years thanks to his comedy screenwriting work, sell out the biggest room at The Lowry and get a standing ovation. What a mad year!

2020 is already shaping up to be a pretty good one... got some gaps to fill in yet, but there's a trip to Finland in May for an epic gig, and likely a festival or two in the summer as it's been a couple of fallow years for us on that front!

Let's see...

• 18/01/20 - The Boulet Brothers present Dragula - Starring Landon Cider, Evah Destruction, Louisianna Purchase, Priscilla Chambers, Saint Lucia, Maddelynn Hatter & Victoria Elizabeth Black @ Rebellion, Manchester
  • 31/01/2020 - Alexei Sayle with Peter Brush @ HOME, Manchester
  • 15/02/2020 - Steve Knightley @ The Drill Hall, Bury
  • 23/02/2020 - Sophie Aldred book launch & q+a @ Fab Cafe, Manchester
  • 19/03/2020 - Sarah Keyworth: Pacific @ The Bread Shed, Manchester
  • 30/04/2020 - Deathstars @ Academy 3, Manchester
  • 01/05/2020 - Jinkx Monsoon & The Major Scales: Together Again, Again! @ HOME, Manchester
  • 27/05/2020 - Green Day with Manic Street Preachers @ Suvilahtiuvilahti, Helsinki, Finland
  • 07/06/2020 - David McAlmont & Alex Webb @ Band on the Wall, Manchester
  • 09/06/2020 - Nerina Pallot @ Yes, Manchester
  • 20/11/2020 - Levellers @ Albert Hall, Manchester
  • 07/12/2020 - Skunk Anansie @ Victoria Warehouse, Manchester

I was honoured to see Alexei Sayle last month - second row centre too - and this year I'll get to see a few more of my heroes for the first time... super hyped for David McAlmont & Skunk Anansie!

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:58 pm On the previous board, we had quite a long running thread with many iterations about the various shows we were all going to see.

It made sense to me to bring that back here - so... who are you going to see? And who have you seen recently? Let's talk all things 'LIVE' here! 8-)
Saw Thunder in Manchester the Saturday before Christmas. They did a stunning cover of Somebody to Love which I have posted in the Thunder thread.

Booked to see Steve Harleys 70th birthday bash in Glasgow next February.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Saw a great band last night - Those Damn Crows. A friend discovered them a couple of years ago and has been raving about them, so a few of us went along. Two excellent support bands too - Florence Black and Hollowstar.

It was my first visit to the venue too - KK's Steelmill in Wolverhampton. It was set up by KK Downing, ex-guitarist from Judas Priest and it's excellent. I'd heard plenty of good reviews of the place, but I think it's my fave local venue now.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

I think I've seen Those Damn Crows. IIRC they were supporting Toyah a couple of years back!

Ray

Post by Ray »

I've seen Megadeth yesterday, Dream Theater the day before (with complete Scenes From A Memory album).

In April I'll try The Australian Pink Floyd Show, in May Guns N' Roses, in June QAL, in July Deep Purple and Iron Maiden, and in September ELO.

J Starbuck88

Post by J Starbuck88 »

Having quite a Queen year this year as I'm taking my other half to see Bulsara & his Queenies in Birmingham on March 7th, then taking her to see We Will Rock You in Northampton on May 16th, then we're seeing One Night of Queen in Telford on May 23rd, then I get to go and see Queen + Adam Lambert in London with a friend on June 6th and then I'll be taking my other half to see them in Birmingham on June 14th.

Anymore beyond that is still in the planning if anything big gets announced.

Tero

Post by Tero »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:21 pm 27/05/2020 - Green Day with Manic Street Preachers @ Suvilahti, Helsinki, Finland
I'm almost tempted, just to see the Manics again...
I haven't listened to Green Day since Dookie came out, have they gotten any better since then? :D

(BTW, I fixed that location for you ;) )

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

My concert year is starting slowly but a couple dates on the horizon.

Reverend Horton Heat is coming to town in March. I've seen Rev a few times but not for about 10 years, should be a fun night in a very small venue.

I just bought 6th row seats for a May show by Todd Rundgren. Todd is doing his 'Individualist/True Star Tour'. He's doing a first set that is a 'best of' and the second set will be one of the two sides from 'A Wizard A True Star'. Fans vote before the show as to which side will be performed. I loves me some Todd and this will be my 18th time seeing him.

MyFaerieQueene

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

I'm seeing Procol Harum at the London Palladium in April. It's all I have planned for this year so far.

At the moment I can only afford "essential" gigs because I'm saving up to see Queen. I didn't fancy any of the venues they've chosen in the UK this year so I'm living in hope for 2021.