Queen's Sales and Charts

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Queen's Sales and Charts

Postby Hernán » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 am

Also, according to MJD's sales numbers, Queen are the very best selling album act ever in Europe as a whole, tied with Michael Jackson and a good 5 million above The Beatles:

Queen – 91,245,000
Michael Jackson – 90,730,000
The Beatles – 86,230,000
Pink Floyd – 80,780,000
Madonna – 79,330,000

In the UK, Queen are at 26,700,000 albums sold, whilst The Beatles 33,100,000, some 6 million above. But Queen totally outsold The Beatles in the other European countries, including Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Finland and others.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Loris1985 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Hernán, you're highlighting a very important fact: Queen are the most selling artists in Europe, even ahead of Michael Jackson and The Beatles. Really a huge result! In the markets you've cited, Queen have always been better than The Beatles. In some of which, Queen are even the best sellers or into the top-three. In Italy they are only second to Pink Floyd. I think that, excluding North America where Fab Four are massively ahead, there's a huge competition between Queen and The Beatles in the other continents as to albums. As to digital singles, the United States are the main market for Queen and they compete both with Michael Jackson ans The Beatles for the leadership. According to MJDangerous, Queen might surpass Madonna very soon. But when he analyses Elvis Presley and Elton John, I think they will probably ahead of Queen in his CSPC list.

Loris1985
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you, Loris.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Over the past 2 years, I have suggested -more than once- that Queen aren't really that far behind The Beatles outside the English speaking countries, notably USA, of course. And these days Queen do really sell more than The Beatles outside North America/other English speaking countries, to be honest.

The interesting thing about Italy is that, if we add their various box sets to the individual albums (especially Greatest Hits I & II and Platinum Collection added to the individual hits compilations), then Queen get ridiculously closer to Pink Floyd. It would be something like 10.3 million for Pink Floyd and 9.9 million for Queen.

And with equivalent albums sales coming from music videos, physical singles, digital downloads and streaming, Queen are potentially slightly bigger, believe it or not.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Does anyone know where the sales for the re-issue of NOTW will be allocated? We already know that the picture disc has sold 1977 copies and surely the box set should add at least another 500 or so. So if these sales of an estimated 2,500 copies are given as UK sales then the album should chart inside the Top50!

We'll have to wait until next Friday to see unless someone can shed some light on the matter ;-)

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby rockfizzy-o » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Some more RIAA certifications in the US last week:

Another One Bites The Dust: 4 times platinum

Bohemian rhapsody: 6 times platinum

Earlier this year the RIAA certified We Will Rock You (4 times platinum), Don't Stop Me Now (platinum) and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (platinum).

rockfizzy-o
Spread Your Wings

Postby Loris1985 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:10 pm

rockfizzy-o wrote:Some more RIAA certifications in the US last week:

Earlier this year the RIAA certified We Will Rock You (4 times platinum), Don't Stop Me Now (platinum) and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (platinum).

That's a great result! I thought Bohemian Rhapsody would be certified 5 times Platinum, but 6 Platinums is impressive. This is surely thanks to the streaming market, which adds about 1,500,000 units, as it has sold almost 4,500,000 downloads. I also thought Another One Bites The Dust had only three Platinums. This proves Queen have a great audience among the young generations, who are the main users of the digital markets.

Loris1985
Spread Your Wings

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Loris1985 wrote:
rockfizzy-o wrote:Some more RIAA certifications in the US last week:

That's a great result! I thought Bohemian Rhapsody would be certified 5 times Platinum, but 6 Platinums is impressive. This is surely thanks to the streaming market, which adds about 1,500,000 units, as it has sold almost 4,500,000 downloads. I also thought Another One Bites The Dust had only three Platinums. This proves Queen have a great audience among the young generations, who are the main users of the digital markets.

So do these totals account for only downloads and streaming? In which case what would total sales be if we included physical copies? :-D

slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You

Postby Loris1985 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm

slightlymad1970 wrote:So do these totals account for only downloads and streaming? In which case what would total sales be if we included physical copies? :-D

As to Bohemian Rhapsody and Another One Bites The Dust, the figure only considers the digital market (streaming and downloads). In this link some certifications are available: https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab ... ch_section As we can see, Bohemian Rhapsody has one Gold certification obtained in 1976 for the physical format. Counting also the 1992 version, it has probably sold more than 8,000,000 (counting the 6 Platinums). Its sales without streaming amount at more than 6,500,000.
Another One Bites The Dust might have sold 3,500,000 physical copies. As to its digital copies, I'm not sure but it might have sold approximately between 2,500,000 and 3,000,000 downloads. I think that counting both the physical and the digital formats, it might have sold between 6,000,000 and 6,500,000 units.
I think Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen's most selling single in the United States.
Hernán, as you are more competent than me, what do you think...? :-)

Loris1985
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Killer Queen