Queen's Sales and Charts

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Queen's Sales and Charts

Postby EDWOOD » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 am

Hernán wrote:Results are coming very soon.

I have seen some of the stuff and, while some prudence is needed, all I can tell you is: get ready to be a bit shocked (and I mean in a very good way)! :-D

Hernan - looking forward to this :-)

I will not be happy though if The Cosmos Rocks is included in the 'studio album' section. This should be in the 'Orphan' category as it isn't really classed as an official Queen album release but as a Queen+ project.. I hope Guilliame knows this!

I can imagine 'Queen' and 'Queen 2' not being too big as the singles weren't too high selling (apart from Seven Seas of Rye which was a minor hit) plus their streaming results aren't too large (although I have noticed that their live streaming is getting quite big when you add up all the early tracks from 'On Air', A Night At the Odeon, and 'Live At the Rainbow' - some of these streaming totals are bigger then the original album tracks!

Then Sheer Heart Attack will see a big increase thanks to Killer Queen and Now Im Here. ANATO will be huge - probably a few more millions of top of that result that the site did last year when it did the 1975 albums battle! Its streaming results look like they have doubled since then. Also Bo Raps Youtube views should be huge. (I feel sorry for who has to look for all the songs on Youtube and count all the relevant ones over 1m!)

If you double count Greatest Hits 1 and 2 and triple count The Platinum Collection this will make a real difference!

Then its a case of some albums doing better then other. ADATR will see a big decline but then NOTW, Jazz and The Game will see astonishing results (much bigger then their original studio album sales) thanks to their huge hits such as WWRY,WATC, Another One Bites The Dust, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Don't stop me Now. All their other 80s albums should be good apart from Flash Gordon, even Hot Space will do well thanks to Under Pressure.

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby Hutchence » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Hutchence
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:31 am

What can I say, guys? Wow!

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby anato2570 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Wow!! Fantastic results, especially when you consider all the other artists had massive USA sales and Queens were relatively much less, shows how Global a band they are. Would be interesting to take out the USA sales of all the other artists and see where Queen sit then?
Once again great stuff!!

anato2570
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Wow! What an amazing result for Queen and they squeezed past The Rolling Stones to be the second most popular band ever. I'm really interested to see where Elvis Presley, Elton John and AC/DC come. Can Queen stay in the top 5? In a couple of years I think they will inch past Madonna. Incredible for a band who were mostly derided by the critics and had much smaller US sales than the other bands in the top 10.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Loris1985 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:10 pm

What to say: it is the most reliable publication about Queen sales.

Albums - Pure sales

Physical singles

Digital singles

Music Videos

Impressing numbers. Differently from MJD's last estimation, the biggest change now regards The Game, because now it is on more than 9,000,000 copies (and 5,000,000 only in the United States).

In conclusion, Queen are the second most selling band in the history. Not bad. 8)

Loris1985
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:45 pm

Nice summary.

This is their pure album sales broken down by country/region:

Total Album (all types) Sales per Country

America
US – 44,440,000
Canada – 6,785,000
Argentina – 2,925,000
Brazil – 3,745,000
Mexico – 3,465,000
Asia – 16,735,000
Japan – 8,550,000
Oceania
Australia – 3,605,000
New Zealand – 1,005,000
Europe – 91,245,000
UK – 26,695,000
France – 7,870,000
Germany – 16,780,000
Italy – 8,630,000
Spain – 4,845,000
Sweden – 1,485,000
Netherland – 4,690,000
Switzerland – 2,245,000
Austria – 1,545,000
Finland – 650,000
World – 179,295,000

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:11 pm

I find it strange that on this list 'Queen's Greatest Hits' is marked down at selling 5,275,000, in UK, when in 2014 it was reported everywhere as being the first album ever in UK to pass the 6m mark, :? :shock: Even Brian May gave a thank you speech at this news.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Hernán » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 pm

Cool Cat wrote:I find it strange that on this list 'Queen's Greatest Hits' is marked down at selling 5,275,000, in UK, when in 2014 it was reported everywhere as being the first album ever in UK to pass the 6m mark, :? :shock: Even Brian May gave a thank you speech at this news.

The Official Chart Company -or the people involved behind the all time album list- came up with a total of 6 million copies by adding one third of Platinum Collection and half of Greatest Hits I & II.

They should have added all of their sales but not a portion of those two box sets. What they did doesn't really make sense, but it is what it is, I guess.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Hernán wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:I find it strange that on this list 'Queen's Greatest Hits' is marked down at selling 5,275,000, in UK, when in 2014 it was reported everywhere as being the first album ever in UK to pass the 6m mark, :? :shock: Even Brian May gave a thank you speech at this news.

The Official Chart Company -or the people involved behind the all time album list- came up with a total of 6 million copies by adding one third of Platinum Collection and half of Greatest Hits I & II.

They should have added all of their sales but not a portion of those two box sets. What they did doesn't really make sense, but it is what it is, I guess.

I guess we'll never get a absolute accurate chart of who sold what, when it comes down to it all seller charts come down to estimates, i mean Elvis as actually been credited with 1 billion sales by the music industry, and everyone knows he shipped a boat-load of vinyl during and after his death, and if anyone asked me who I thought was the biggest selling artist ever, i would say Elvis followed by The Beatles, but i'd just be guessing.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby EDWOOD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi Hernan,

The Queen Popularity analysis is excellent - superb work by yourself, MJD, and Anthony.

I have one issue with the figures though. For the life of me I can't see how 'The Show Must Go On' was on 113,578,000 streams on Spotify when the analysis was done. At the moment the main track in on 57,702,935 as of today. The only other time it is on Spotify is the live track from the 'Return of The Champions' live album with Paul Rodgers which is currently only on 329,765.

What I think might have happened is that whoever did the Spotify numbers maybe double-counted this track as there is the remastered album AND the deluxe albums for all studio albums (apart from ANATO for some reason). All the numbers are the same for both normal and deluxe numbers so 113,578,000 divided by 2 is 56,789,000 which probably was the Spotify number at the time the counting was done.

If this has happened it won't make much difference to the final numbers (Queen have probably already been streamed more times overall on Spotify since the count was made) but the calculation will be out a bit as Innuendo will be smaller then what it would be if these streaming numbers for SMGO weren't double counted. Likewise other albums such as The Works, etc will have their numbers increased.

Am I right here or am I missing something?

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby Hernán » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you, Edwood.

I'm not totally sure myself but something like that may have happened. I wasn't involved in the streaming analysis but I have already consulted MJDangerous about this, we will see his answer.

We still need to consider the version on Greatest Hits III. Although this doesn't explain the gap. You could be right in that case, we will see!

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby EDWOOD » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 pm

I actually forgot that version with Elton John! Thats still only on 1,137,372 plays on Spotify though….

EDWOOD
We Will Rock You

Postby Hernán » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:22 pm

MJDangerous told me: "It seems that he (for Edwood) is right! I just asked for Anthony to cross-check his figures".

So everything will be adjusted accordingly. Not sure how this is going to impact their catalogue. Innuendo will be down a bit but, on the other hand, this will increase all their albums from Hot Space to The Miracle a little bit. The Works may even go up to 20 million and that would give Queen 5 albums above that mark in total, which is something not many acts can claim. 8-)

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:35 am

Edwood, the Queen article has been updated. You were right about The Show Must Go On being double counted, but it has now been corrected.

This causes Innuendo to lose some sales (now at 13,5 million equivalent albums sales), while some of their other albums are up, especially the ones represented on Greatest Hits II and Classic Queen. The most significant change is The Works which now reaches over 20 million equivalent albums sales worldwide.

Overall, Queen have 5 albums above this 20 million mark:

A Night At The Opera - 35,700,000
The Game - 29,500,000
News Of The World - 28,700,000
Hot Space - 21,500,000
The Works - 20,100,000

Jazz is currently at 18,600,000 and, considering its strong catalogue sales, it is likely to reach 20 million in the next few years.

This would give Queen 6 albums above 20 million equivalent albums sales. By comparison, Abba have 4 and Pink Floyd have 3, with no additional titles close to 20 million.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen