Queen's Sales and Charts

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Queen's Sales and Charts

Postby Wild/Wind » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Hernán wrote:
Wild/Wind wrote:I was looking the http://chartmasters.org/2017/10/cspc-qu ... alysis/63/ and my conclusion is that general public still considers Queen singles band, since their digital sales & streaming is big for the hit singles, but not for the remaining songs, which the numbers are not so good. While bands like Led Zeppelin have big numbers on their whole albums not only their "hit" singles. This fact was well shown on their recent set list, according to the analysis NOTW is their biggest selling album, however few people know songs like spread your wings or it's late.

Is that the only or the most relevant conclusion you came up with?

Because, when compared to bands like Led Zeppelin, the biggest conclusion I see is that Queen -overall- sold more and are bigger than Led Zeppelin in terms of equivalent albums sales and total records sales. This seems a more relevant conclusion, to me.

Queen's overall comes from the hits and the Greatest hits albums. Their hit singles have high streaming but not the remaining songs of the studio albums.

Another fact is that Queen is more popular than the likes of Zeppelin etc but in public consciousness is a singles band
This is unfair to Queen's great back catalog.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 am

This is all pointless pfffft, both bands are great. Led Zeppelin are consistent with the streaming but many so called album artists like The Stones, AC/DC and Pink Floyd don't have consistent streaming with many albums, check the entire Rolling Stones catalogue after 'Exile on main street'.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 am

Wild/Wind wrote:
Hernán wrote:
Wild/Wind wrote:I was looking the http://chartmasters.org/2017/10/cspc-qu ... alysis/63/ and my conclusion is that general public still considers Queen singles band, since their digital sales & streaming is big for the hit singles, but not for the remaining songs, which the numbers are not so good. While bands like Led Zeppelin have big numbers on their whole albums not only their "hit" singles. This fact was well shown on their recent set list, according to the analysis NOTW is their biggest selling album, however few people know songs like spread your wings or it's late.

Is that the only or the most relevant conclusion you came up with?

Because, when compared to bands like Led Zeppelin, the biggest conclusion I see is that Queen -overall- sold more and are bigger than Led Zeppelin in terms of equivalent albums sales and total records sales. This seems a more relevant conclusion, to me.

Queen's overall comes from the hits and the Greatest hits albums. Their hit singles have high streaming but not the remaining songs of the studio albums.

Another fact is that Queen is more popular than the likes of Zeppelin etc but in public consciousness is a singles band
This is unfair to Queen's great back catalog.

It would be great if some of their albums cuts had more streaming on Spotify. But the most important point here is that their overall total is truly massive: Queen's 10 biggest tracks on Spotify have about as many streams as the whole catalogue of Led Zeppelin and Queen's whole catalogue have about twice as many streams as Led Zeppelin's entire catalogue. They also do better than all other catalogue groups, except The Beatles (and outside the English speaking countries, probably even more than The Beatles).

Considering that, is it really very important that some average track from (say) Led Zeppelin 4 has more streams than some random track on (say) News Of The World? Sure, an interesting observation. But more important than that is surely the fact that Queen have totally outsold Led Zeppelin overall and, in modern days, they are doing miles better than them on streaming. I think this is easily more important.

No idea why so much focus has to be put on how some of their albums tracks perform...

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I think that digital and now streaming reflects popularity. But when our favorite band release a new product there is very low interest from general public even for beautiful release like Rainbow 74.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 am

I believe Queen have released far too many new compilations/live albums over the last 20 years and so people have lost interest. If you look at 'Made in Heaven' when it came out, anticipation was massive and so were the sales basically from pent up demand. It's the same when a band reforms after decades of nothingness and all their shows sell out. It's all about demand and supply, I have no interest in anything Queen release anymore and yet I love them!

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby anato2570 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:05 pm

No,no,no, i have to disagree, Queen are more popular know than ever. Especially a new younger audience now listening to Queen as well.

anato2570
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am

I agree with you ANATO! I think Queen are huge these days, their streaming figures are 2nd only to The Beatles and Michael Jackson for pre 2000 acts. The point I was trying to make was about releasing new compilations, I think it's saturated although I'm sure there will be a soundtrack for the upcoming movie in December and also I'd like it if they gave an official release to a lot of their b-sides and unreleased tracks that you can find on YouTube, it's just the compilations and live albums I'm a little tired of.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 pm

nucleardolphin wrote:I agree with you ANATO! I think Queen are huge these days, their streaming figures are 2nd only to The Beatles and Michael Jackson for pre 2000 acts. The point I was trying to make was about releasing new compilations, I think it's saturated although I'm sure there will be a soundtrack for the upcoming movie in December and also I'd like it if they gave an official release to a lot of their b-sides and unreleased tracks that you can find on YouTube, it's just the compilations and live albums I'm a little tired of.

You definitely have a point regards compilation oversaturation (say that when you have had a few drinks!); although I see the logic from the record company's point of view. But, it does push the idea of them being simply a greatest hits band - and, of course, we know they are far more than that.

Still, they must be doing something right: this music simply refuses to die.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby nucleardolphin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:40 am

It's crazy calling them a singles band. I think if they'd never released any greatest hits albums and never released singles then they'd be viewed differently and long term sales of their studio albums may have been more. It's just the way they were originally marketed. Besides their total album sales now are huge.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 am

Queen's total streams on their 15 studio albums equals 2.424 billion plus Thank God its Christmas, The Beatles are at 2.624 billion which includes a whole bunch of non album tracks from their compilations. I thought that was pretty interesting! The only other artist to get streamed more is Michael Jackson. These are pre 2000 artists.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 am

Queen have been streamed 5.2 billion times on Youtube.

Here is a link that you can use that shows who has been streamed how many times and over what period and it which country/city. Its quite incredible! It seems Bo Rhap is the most streamed rock song ever on the internet.

https://artists.youtube.com/insights/ar ... Fm%2F0bk1p

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 am

Also Queen are the most streamed band ever, from the pre 2000 era if you include Youtube and Spotify. I can't find information for Apple music or Tidal.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby Hernán » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 pm

nucleardolphin wrote:Queen have been streamed 5.2 billion times on Youtube.

Here is a link that you can use that shows who has been streamed how many times and over what period and it which country/city. Its quite incredible! It seems Bo Rhap is the most streamed rock song ever on the internet.

https://artists.youtube.com/insights/ar ... Fm%2F0bk1p

Thank you, that is a very interesting list.

They have 5.2 billion streams since September 2014, so the grand total must be stronger than that, of course.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 am

Yes, I have no idea how much it would be though. Their daily numbers are almost identical to Pink Floyd.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

Postby nucleardolphin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 am

Another way of looking at it is there are on average, 14,116 people streaming a Queen song on Youtube every minute of every day based on the figures available.

nucleardolphin
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen