Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby slightlymad1970 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm amazed how many young American female singers love our Fred, for a band often cited as making no impression on America it's great to hear so many young successful artists speak fondley about Mr Mercury. Below is a quote from Carrie Underwood, a huge Country Artist in America and American Idol Winner interviewed in a national newspaper, she can be added to these other US females who often talk about there appreciation of Freddie, Lady GaGa, Pink and Katy Perry.

If you could invite three people to a dinner party, who would they be?

FREDDIE MERCURY, because I grew up listening to QUEEN and I feel like he lived such a crazy life and would be a lot of fun


Anybody know of any other artists to add to the list?
 
slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby RandomontheMike » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 am

I know the Foo Fighters love Queen. There's an interview of them where they share a story about tripping out to Under Pressure on their tour bus and thinking that they will never be able to right a song that good.
"You can be my sugar baby, you can be my honey CHILD!"
 
RandomontheMike
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Listening to Jazz

      
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Kes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Copied this off a google search. It pretty much sums it up, I think.

More recently Queen have been recognised as having made significant contributions to such genres as arena rock, hard rock, heavy metal, pop rock and progressive rock, amongst others. Hence the band has been cited as an influence by many other musicians. Moreover, like their music, the collection of bands and artists that have claimed to be influenced by Queen is diverse and spans different generations, countries and genres.

Some of the musicians that have cited the band as an influence include: Anthrax, Ben Folds Five, Blind Guardian, Kurt Cobain, Def Leppard, Extreme, The Killers, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kansas, Manic Street Preachers, Marianas Trench, Marilyn Manson, Metallica, My Chemical Romance (Flash and Under Pressure covers), Mika, Muse, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, Styx, Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert and Dream Theater.

Queen have also been cited as a major influence on the "neo-classical metal" genre by Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. Metallica recorded a cover version of "Stone Cold Crazy", which first appeared on the "Rubaiyat — Elektra's 40th Anniversary" album in 1990, and won the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 1991. In the early '70s, Queen helped spur the heavy metal genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; the New Wave of British Heavy Metal followed in a similar vein, fusing the music with a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.


Thanks to J, who posted the answer on yahoo's ask pages.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14554
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Kes wrote:Copied this off a google search. It pretty much sums it up, I think.

More recently Queen have been recognised as having made significant contributions to such genres as arena rock, hard rock, heavy metal, pop rock and progressive rock, amongst others. Hence the band has been cited as an influence by many other musicians. Moreover, like their music, the collection of bands and artists that have claimed to be influenced by Queen is diverse and spans different generations, countries and genres.

Some of the musicians that have cited the band as an influence include: Anthrax, Ben Folds Five, Blind Guardian, Kurt Cobain, Def Leppard, Extreme, The Killers, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kansas, Manic Street Preachers, Marianas Trench, Marilyn Manson, Metallica, My Chemical Romance (Flash and Under Pressure covers), Mika, Muse, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, Styx, Lady Gaga, Adam Lambert and Dream Theater.

Queen have also been cited as a major influence on the "neo-classical metal" genre by Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen. Metallica recorded a cover version of "Stone Cold Crazy", which first appeared on the "Rubaiyat — Elektra's 40th Anniversary" album in 1990, and won the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 1991. In the early '70s, Queen helped spur the heavy metal genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; the New Wave of British Heavy Metal followed in a similar vein, fusing the music with a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.


Thanks to J, who posted the answer on yahoo's ask pages.


Yeh, the yahoo poster lifted that straight of the Queen Wiki page (a nice big page on them there!).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3011
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Rhapsody Blue » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 pm

This doesn't surprise me. Good musicians can see far beyond what the media tells us. Been an American Queen fan since the mid 1970s and I know that the American media had a lot to do with keeping Queen on the down low. I will never understand why. The American media love affair still continues with the Beatles, another thing I don't understand.
Those were the days of our lives, the bad things in life were so few, those days are all gone now.
 
Rhapsody Blue
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:42 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Kes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

That might have something to do with one of the band members getting shot dead on American soil, by an American, not something that would have been likely in his own country, but still, as with everything else, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

I wouldn't have said the American media were especially that kind to the bloke while he was alive.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14554
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Chickenfeed Babe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Kes wrote:That might have something to do with one of the band members getting shot dead on American soil, by an American, not something that would have been likely in his own country, but still, as with everything else, you pays your money, you takes your choice.


Nothing to do with 12 albums and a fair few non-album singles worth of ground-breaking (mostly) self-penned material over a 7 year period that changed the face of music forever then?
 
Chickenfeed Babe
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Kes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Everything to do with that, but then around that time lots of people were changing the face of music, and much as though I might think The Beatles were the best thing since sliced bread, even I can hear the influence of other contempory artists of that time in their music, from The Beach Boys (Back In The USSR), and Bob Dylan (Lennon's 'Working Class Hero), to breaking artists like Simon & Garfunkel (I've Just Seen A Face), themselves heavily influenced by The Beatles.

In truth everybody was influencing everybody else at that time, and bands like The Rolling Stones, Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience drove The Beatles forward in the same way the The Beatles were driving them forward.

Maybe I should add that nobody overhere really gave a flying f*ck when Lennon got quoted as saying The Beatles were getting 'bigger' (by that he meant "more well known") in the Western world than Jesus. There certainly weren't any mass record burning sessions, anyway.

My point really was that generically, most countries can look back on The Beatles and accept how important they were, America isn't alone there. They (as an institution) might think they could make or break The Beatles, but they were already mega in Britain, long before a single even got released over there, and how the USA accepted them couldn't really make any difference to what had already preceded that. I think it IS notable that the authorities in the US never really accepted Lennon, and weren't keen on the fact he'd chosen to live in New York, that is, until he died there.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14554
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Lester Burnham » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:29 am

Also, his solo albums, save for Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, and his half of Double Fantasy, were mostly crap.
 
Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:14 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby M&M » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 am

Just stumbled across this….not entirely on topic but seemed close enough without starting a new thread. It's a journalist's notes about Green Day's concert in Chicago.

Green Day chose excellent pre-show PA music, including Prince’s “Kiss,” Devo’s “Whip It,” the Clash’s “Tommy Gun,” and Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades.” Just before the band took the stage, Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” played out, and in a weirdly moving few minutes, most everybody in the arena sang along at the top of their lungs. It almost upstaged Green Day’s actual entrance a few moments later. Who else but Freddie Mercury could rule in absentia like that?

source: http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/29/green-day-tour-chicago/

Back on the original poster's comments about American influence: I think Freddie continues to be very influential in America among recording artists. What's even more fun is how artists of such diverse genres cite him as an influence such as the ones previously noted and others like: Billie Jo Armstrong, Cee Lo Green, Harry Connick, Jr., Kimberly Perry (award winning American country artist), Chris Cornell, the guys from fun, etc. Charisma with an exceptional ability to connect with audiences is mentioned even more than his vocal talent or musicianship in a lot of the interviews I've read.
 
M&M
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 2:44 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby mab » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Sorry, don't intend to be rude as such, but what the f*** relevance does this have to anything?

Why do certain Queen fans get so excited when a semi-irrelevant American pop star (or whoever) says they found Freddie entertaining and that they really quite liked A Kind Of Magic when they were a toddler?!

Who f***ing CARES?!

I actually find the list of artists who Queen have supposedly ''influenced'' or ''inspired'' quite embarrassing as there's barely a genuinely credible artist among them. Sorry, folks, but Foo Fighters do NOT amount to much. The Nirvana connection aside, they've got nothing that special about them and I doubt they'll be much remembered in 50 years, if at all.

Radiohead? I'd like to read a quote where they SPECIFICALLY reference Queen. The Killers? Likewise.

Most of the artists Queen supposedly influenced are complete shite. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Lady Gaga amounts to anything is deluded.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby slightlymad1970 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:20 pm

mab wrote:Sorry, don't intend to be rude as such, but what the f*** relevance does this have to anything?

Why do certain Queen fans get so excited when a semi-irrelevant American pop star (or whoever) says they found Freddie entertaining and that they really quite liked A Kind Of Magic when they were a toddler?!

Who f***ing CARES?!

I actually find the list of artists who Queen have supposedly ''influenced'' or ''inspired'' quite embarrassing as there's barely a genuinely credible artist among them. Sorry, folks, but Foo Fighters do NOT amount to much. The Nirvana connection aside, they've got nothing that special about them and I doubt they'll be much remembered in 50 years.

I suppose the point I was trying make here was that contrary to what some critics, music press and fans may have us believe is that Queen and especially Freddie have made quite a big impact on the other side of the pond, not in the same league as say The Beatles, Zeppelin and Floyd but Queen have undeniabley had an influence on American music. The sheer diversity of Music Artist that site Queen as an influence is staggering and for a band who's core audience was supposed to be young adult males for so many young successful AMERICAN females to talk so positively about Fred I find fascinating. And yes mab the guy who blew his head off in a fit of depression that fronted the band you hold in such high esteem was a huge Queen fan and because off your opinion of his music you would hold his opinion of Queen up as that of a "credible artist" but dismiss that of Katy Perry, GaGa et all as embarrasing I find to be an example of musical snobbery at it's worst :-(
 
slightlymad1970
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby Chickenfeed Babe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 pm

mab wrote:I actually find the list of artists who Queen have supposedly ''influenced'' or ''inspired'' quite embarrassing as there's barely a genuinely credible artist among them. Sorry, folks, but Foo Fighters do NOT amount to much. The Nirvana connection aside, they've got nothing that special about them and I doubt they'll be much remembered in 50 years, if at all.

Radiohead? I'd like to read a quote where they SPECIFICALLY reference Queen. The Killers? Likewise.

Most of the artists Queen supposedly influenced are complete shite. Sorry, but anyone who thinks Lady Gaga amounts to anything is deluded.


I agree that a lot of these artists aren't exactly "credible" . The Darkness and Def Leppard would certainly rank among my least favourite rock bands of all time. However, there are a few significant acts in there. Muse and the Manics for a start. Thom Yorke has cited Brian as an influence when he acquired his first guitar at the age of 7 after he saw Queen on TV (as he was born in '68, I assume it was either watching the Bo Rhap promo or the Hammersmith concert). The more bombastic elements of Radiohead's The Bends (and its accompanying B-sides) are fairly Queenesque. Flea and Chad from the Chili Peppers have often spoke of their admiration for Queen and other English 70's rock bands.
 
Chickenfeed Babe
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby lord of all darkness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am

Sorry MAB, take a chill pill mate. If you don't like a thread, don't post in it.

Back to topic. Pink, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga. These 3 ladies have all had massive hits and have mentioned how Queen and Freddie have influenced them.

Muse have totally blown me away with their latest album. You can hear the big Queen sound. The single, 'madness' i think has echoes of IWTBF.

I think the point is, that because of the spectrum of Queen's different styles, they are always going to influence a wide range of musicians.
BAN them!
 
lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

      
 
Posts: 554
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia = where it's warm and sunny.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Another American Female Singer Loves Freddie!!

Postby icy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 pm

M&M wrote:Just stumbled across this….not entirely on topic but seemed close enough without starting a new thread. It's a journalist's notes about Green Day's concert in Chicago.

Green Day chose excellent pre-show PA music, including Prince’s “Kiss,” Devo’s “Whip It,” the Clash’s “Tommy Gun,” and Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades.” Just before the band took the stage, Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” played out, and in a weirdly moving few minutes, most everybody in the arena sang along at the top of their lungs. It almost upstaged Green Day’s actual entrance a few moments later. Who else but Freddie Mercury could rule in absentia like that?

source: http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/03/29/green-day-tour-chicago/

Back on the original poster's comments about American influence: I think Freddie continues to be very influential in America among recording artists. What's even more fun is how artists of such diverse genres cite him as an influence such as the ones previously noted and others like: Billie Jo Armstrong, Cee Lo Green, Harry Connick, Jr., Kimberly Perry (award winning American country artist), Chris Cornell, the guys from fun, etc. Charisma with an exceptional ability to connect with audiences is mentioned even more than his vocal talent or musicianship in a lot of the interviews I've read.

:agreepost: and great post as always.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 15313
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 231 times
Been thanked: 521 times

Next

Return to Killer Queen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests