Presidents of the United States

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Ray

Re: Presidents of the United States

Post by Ray »

WeeMann wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm He's just become the first president to be impeached twice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-55645957
At least he got something twice...not the presidency, but come on, first in history to be impeached twice... that's the real achievement. I already can hear him say...

"there have been lots of presidents who have been voted twice, oh by the way, me too, but nobody ever got impeached twice like me...look how special I am, first in history to do so, I won, I have the new record, over all the other presidents!"

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Ray wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm
WeeMann wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 pm He's just become the first president to be impeached twice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-55645957
At least he got something twice...not the presidency, but come on, first in history to be impeached twice... that's the real achievement. I already can hear him say...

"there have been lots of presidents who have been voted twice, oh by the way, me too, but nobody ever got impeached twice like me...look how special I am, first in history to do so, I won, I have the new record, over all the other presidents!"
It will all be symbolic. The Senate won't have time to convict him prior to Biden's inauguration. If they do end up convicting him after he leaves he will be the first President to have this done.

Kes

Post by Kes »

He hasn't tried pardoning himself yet.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Kes wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:23 pm He hasn't tried pardoning himself yet.
He's probably realised that it won't make any difference, as even if it survived a legal challenge, it would only apply to federal crime, not state stuff.

Ray

Post by Ray »

How is it even possible to pardon yourself?? Why is that an option at all? I mean it just confirms you did something and gives you the chance to get away with it. Especially a president shouldn't have the right to do so. Weird system.

I'm curious to see what will all follow after he's out. The impeachment is one thing, but I expect way more problems to appear for him...as soon as he is out of office, I think pretty much everyone left will turn on him. They supported him for their own advantage the last years, but now when he can't do anything for them anymore, I think they have no reason left to stand behind him. Quite the contrary probably even so.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I suppose it's a bit like going through a tunnel. The deeper you get into it, the harder it is to turn round and go back, and so it is to admit that you might have been wrong.

I think most of those that still support the man, arent likely to jump off the train now it's started speeding up.

And about a dozen more metaphors.

Kes

Post by Kes »

There was a programme I watched last night, that had a BBC film crew in the Senate building during the 'protest'.

Now, you can imagine this place is quite big, and like a maze. Unless you know where you're going, you're going to be wandering round there for days.

The film crew showed one woman, like a conductor directing hundreds of people like an orchestra, stood there going "No, no, you want to go up these stairs, turn right, and then down the corridor!" She knew her way around the place.

It was a bit more organised than a spur of the moment "Oops, We got carried away a bit" thing.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Doesn't surprise me. It was way too easy for them to get in there and in general to get in all those rooms. We heard also about some police men/security posing with the rioters for pictures, so it's not hard to imagine there was planning behind and some already knew what was coming.

Good thing Washington is now way better prepared for the upcoming days...who knows what will happen.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Two lots of people all over the country, armed with assault rifles, and both truly believe they are defending the integrity of the USA?

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm not sure Trump, even if he had the time, could difuse this, and that's if he still had access to twitter and facebook.

I think any country that's had a massacre, and is now with a level of gun control, looks at the second ammendment, and thinks maybe it should be ammended a bit again. Assault rifles are specifically designed to kill people (in the plural), not angry bears rampaging through shopping malls in New York.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Did anyone see the video he made for the news yesterday? Probably about as Presidential as he could ever be. He came across like a kid with chocolate all round his mouth just after his mum has found the cookie had empty without actually admitting he had munched them all.