Presidents of the United States

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Presidents of the United States

Post by Kes »

Not the band.

Unfortunately, due to circumstances mentioned elsewhere, this is the new home for discussions about the 45th and 46th POTUS, and how you feel.

Please keep it clean, true, and impersonal.

Anything we (the moderation team) feel crosses the line, left, right, slanderous, or plain propaganda, WILL be removed.

Sorry folks, but this is a music board, not a homeground for divisive or personal arguments.

Thanks, play nice, children.

Lord of all darkness

Re: Presidents of the United States

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Kes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 am Unfortunately, due to circumstances mentioned elsewhere, this is the new home for discussions about the 45th and 46th POTUS, and how you feel.

Please keep it clean, true, and impersonal.

Anything we (the moderation team) feel crosses the line, left, right, slanderous, or plain propaganda, WILL be removed.

Sorry folks, but this is a music board, not a homeground for divisive or personal arguments.

Thanks, play nice, children.
Crikey, what happened?

Kes

Post by Kes »

With allegations against everybody, and their dog, it's just wound up being 300+ pages of "he said, she said, they said", topped off with the invasion of the Capitol building. It's just best for everyone to start afresh, and play by a fair set of rules.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Anyway, just for something controversial...

Joe Biden uses Kleenex tissues! And I'm not saying what for.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Looks like it is going to be another wild day in the USA with reports saying Democrats are going to ask Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment. Which he is unlikely to do as it could damage his chances of a shot at the Presidency in 2024.

A lot of responsibility for what is happening in America surely lies with social media platforms and the way they are used. Should political leaders, on both sides, be allowed a platform where they can stoke the fires to the point their supporters no longer see anything but what is written on Twitter.

What happened on Wednesday should have been prevented because surely the authorities must have known what was planned? It certainly would not have been allowed to happen in London. There would have been a total no go area around Westminster if anything similar had been planned.

The UK was bitterly divided over Need It but we seemed to have healed a lot of our divisions and moved on. Maybe that was forced upon us by the pandemic. I hope that America and her people can move on too.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It all gets a bit muddy when the person in charge sets the rules.

I wouldn't say "it can't happen here!" Because it really could, and does happen everywhere. Hong Kong, where the government change the rules at the drop of a hat, Draconianly enforce them, and people who disagree with it, just go and do what they want, whatever the rules.

I'm not saying any political viewpoint is particularly wrong, it's whatever you're happy with and what works for the society you live in.

What's not quite right with America, is that the whole country isn't unified, and in agreement for what it wants. Not even close.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think they all cherish democracy, but only when that democracy suits their own personal values. It's a similar ideal, but looking at it from two different directions.

The reality is close enough, that the only way hardliners can get their heads above water, is to demonise the other side, and make up shit about them, rather than tout their own policies.

Sat outside the political sphere, it's probably easier for us to see what's real and what isn't, but we don't have the pressure of living it everyday, like they do.

Starman

Post by Starman »

JLP wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 pm Looks like it is going to be another wild day in the USA with reports saying Democrats are going to ask Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment. Which he is unlikely to do as it could damage his chances of a shot at the Presidency in 2024.
Maybe I’m missing something, but I think he should certainly invoke it! Trump’s supporters turned on Pence after he certified the election result. Some were calling for him to be hanged. Trump openly criticised him on Twitter. Upshot of that is he won’t get the Trumpist vote in 2024. His best hope is to get the traditional conservative Republican (of which he is one) vote. If he invokes the 25th he will become president and then he has a week or so to ensure a smooth transition to Biden, to attend the inauguration, and basically to look presidential. Then in 2024 he can point to the fact that he had a little dress rehearsal as evidence that he’s the man for the job.

But maybe I’m missing something.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Doesn't matter where we live, we all look around ourselves, and choose our politics based on our surroundings, and what affects us.

Someone living in the centre of a city, compared to living in a wilderness, will have a totally different perspective, but might vote for the same people based on different issues.

You can't please all the people, all the time, but I guess you try to look after them, or as many as you can.

Ray

Post by Ray »

I don't think in general people like the president should use common Social Media like everyone else for their job... especially if it's used the same (often nasty) way like by everyone else. I think the last pope tried Social Media once, but had to stop using it too since it only led to problems.

It's not about freedom of speech but about if Social Media is a good way to do such jobs. No president before had/needed Twitter or Facebook for their job and still did it. I highly doubt you need some platform like this if you can give a press conference on TV anytime. And if someone posts there all the time one should seriously ask yourself, how a president has so much time to even do all this nonsense stuff. But I don't want to get into THAT topic more specific again.

What I mean is just that Social Media was never used before for those kind of political jobs and that proves that it's not needed. Most people always complain about what bad usually mostly comes out of Social Media anyway, with no matter who. Even if the president wasn't THAT active and provocative on those platforms, it's rather leading to problems than something good. Imo it should only be used for official announcements or special occasions.