The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Postby jimbo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 am

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for people to show photos of and talk about Rare Queen Vinyl and CD's from their collections. To include anything really on Vinyl or CD that Queen fans might be interested in, whether they are slightly rare, quite rare or very rare. Photos of the sleeves or labels etc would be good, any quality, mine for a start will probably be awful :?

So I'm thinking anything at all really which us Queen fans might want to see, to include anything except bootlegs/fakes. Any detail about catalogue numbers/matrix numbers etc would be good as well for people who like that sort of thing!

I hope some collectors do post some items here. I've got a medium sized Queen collection, but I know there are 100's of Queen fans with much bigger and better collections than me, and I and I'm sure many others would really like to hear about, and/or see some nice Queen vinyl and/or CD's :-D
Last edited by jimbo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Re: The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Postby jimbo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 am

I'll start with this one, the rare second version of the UK Rocks LP on vinyl:-

(Sorry about the rubbish photo)

As far as I'm aware this second version of the UK double album of Rocks is from 1997, the same as the first version?

Catalogue number:- 8230911

Barcode on back sleeve:- 724382309116. Also worth noting here it's not only the front cover that is different. The "pattern" on the back cover is aligned completely differently with the titles. In fact I wonder why they actually changed the cover anyway?

Matrix numbers (on run-out groove):- 8230911 A-1-1-1 D, 8230911 B-1-1-1 D, 8230911 C-1-1-1 D,8230911 D-1-1-2 D

The "D" of the matrix is not next to the rest of the matrix, but further around the run-out groove. Does anyone know what the "D" means please? I was thinking it was maybe indicating the vinyl was actually made in Germany? But that's just a guess.

This is a strange one, as it seems to be very rare. Anyone know anything about it please?
Last edited by jimbo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 am

Here is another LP, the rare second version of the "Live at Wembley 86" LP, apparently "totally remixed and remastered by Roger Taylor" according to the sticker on the front:-

(I don't know why my photos are so dark even with a flash)

I don't know if this 2nd UK version of the double LP of "Live At Wembley 86" is also from 1992, the same as the first version?

Catalogue number:- PCSP725

Barcode:- 0077779959419 (and it actually says "Printed in Germany" under the barcode).

Matrix numbers:- 7996021-A1 2, 7996021-B1 2, 799603-A1 1, 7996031-B1 1 (the main part of the matrix is stamped, but the "2" on the end for the first disc, and the "1" on the end for the second disc is hand written, and again is further around the run-out than the rest of the matrix. The labels say "made in EEC". And actually the inner sleeves also are different to the first version of this LP, they have a matt finish on this version (shiny gloss on the first version).

I've listened to this to compare the versions (although only side 1 to be honest), and I don't think it has been remixed by anyone at all. It does sound slightly different, and the vinyl cut is different, so it could have been remastered in some way, but I really doubt if Roger Taylor had done it?

Again this is a strange one, does anyone know anything about it please?
Last edited by jimbo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:49 pm

So does anybody know please if the second version of the UK double LP "Live At Wembley 86" was actually totally remixed and remastered by Roger Taylor?

If is wasn't then why does it have an official sticker on it saying "totally remixed and remastered by Roger Taylor"?

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 am

Roger wouldn't know what a remaster was if it walked up to him and bit him...

...on the leg!

More likely the bloody drummer from Duran Duran did it.

As far as I'm aware, the remaster the vinyl was taken from, was maybe by Eddie Schreyer at Future Disc Systems in the good old US of A, but that's not gospel.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 am

By the way, I've got about three copies of LAW on vinyl. One is deffo UK, another one Spain, and I don't know off the top of my head where the third one came from, though I did buy it in Germany, so it's probably one of their's.

I think certainly up to Greatest Hits II, UK editions were still pressed in the UK, German ones in Germany, Spanish ones in Spain, and I'm pretty sure both the Freddie Mercury Album and Brian's Back To The Light still had the vinyls pressed in those territories FOR those territories.

By the time we get to the late 90s with Rocks and GHIII, I'm not sure.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 am

Apparently, this is worth a look.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/audiosl ... s-heritage

It's all about what "was" EMI's vinyl pressing plant at Hayes, Middlesex.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:57 am

You might find this link interesting as regards Queen (and related) UK coloured vinyls, picture discs, and oddities like 10" pressings.

http://www.crimson-ceremony.net/pr3/pag ... =pp-orlake
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Kes wrote:Roger wouldn't know what a remaster was if it walked up to him and bit him...

...on the leg!

More likely the bloody drummer from Duran Duran did it.

As far as I'm aware, the remaster the vinyl was taken from, was maybe by Eddie Schreyer at Future Disc Systems in the good old US of A, but that's not gospel.

Haha, or maybe the 70's tennis player :-D

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Kes wrote:By the way, I've got about three copies of LAW on vinyl. One is deffo UK, another one Spain, and I don't know off the top of my head where the third one came from, though I did buy it in Germany, so it's probably one of their's.

I think certainly up to Greatest Hits II, UK editions were still pressed in the UK, German ones in Germany, Spanish ones in Spain, and I'm pretty sure both the Freddie Mercury Album and Brian's Back To The Light still had the vinyls pressed in those territories FOR those territories.

By the time we get to the late 90s with Rocks and GHIII, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info. I've done a full internet search and still can't find out much about this second UK LP version of Live At Wembley 86. According to a couple of threads on Queenzone it was definitely for sale in the UK with this "totally remixed and remastered by Roger Taylor" sticker, but only for a very short period of time, as a few people remember seeing it and buying it. Someone noted, like me, it was "printed in Germany" and thought the sticker might have been put on to sell it better in Germany where apparently Roger Taylor was popular at the time. This seems unlikely for many reasons, the main one being a few people bought this version in the UK as discussed above (nobody remembers this particular stickered version being sold in Germany), and the sleeve had the UK catalogue number on it.

So this is still a mystery, if anyone reading this knows more, please tell us and help solve the mystery of this very odd sticker being attached to this rare version of Live At Wembley 86!

On a side note 1992 was the year that CD's took over from LP's. I remember at the beginning of the year we still had a large vinyl section in the shop, and then had a sale in the Summer and sold all the vinyl off, just being left with CD's. So from 1993 until about the end of the decade when vinyl made a very slight comeback, vinyl was difficult to find, as most of the shops had stopped selling it. Vinyl has very slowly grown in popularity since about the year 2000, still a limited market, but it may outlast the CD, very ironic if you think back to the late 80's :shock:

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Kes wrote:Apparently, this is worth a look.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/audiosl ... s-heritage

It's all about what "was" EMI's vinyl pressing plant at Hayes, Middlesex.

Thanks Kes, interesting to see this!

Although I think the company that took over the EMI vinyl pressing plant has now closed it completely, and is getting their vinyl pressed elsewhere, although I may be wrong about that, but i think that's what someone told me.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Anyway, here is a slightly rare version of the Bohemian Rhapsody 7", with the solid centre.

(a better photo this time at least :-D )

Catalogue number:- EMI2375

Matrix number:-EMI2375 A-2 (stamper code is "12" with no letters, so this looks like possibly a late 70's pressing?)

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am

Yeah, I've got one of those as well, but it's probably not in as good nick as your's.

I can't say I've seen too many of those knocking about either, but a solid centre variant was used as a link piece quite extensively in an independent documentary about the song, five or six years ago.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 am

While we're on the subject of Bohemian Rhapsody, here's a Record Collector article from 1998 all about the legendary blue vinyl variant.

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was recorded in the summer of 1975 during sessions for their fourth album, "A Night At The Opera". The song's composer, Freddie Mercury, never revealed his inspiration for his lyrics except to say that they were personal, about relationships.
"It's one of those songs which has such a fantasy feel about it," he said in 1976. "I think that people should just listen to it, think about it and then make up their own minds as to what it says to them". According to Brian May, the song was "really Freddie's baby from the beginning", but the task of realizing his ideas fell to Queen's producer at the time, Roy Thomas Baker.

"Freddie was sitting in his apartment and had an idea for the song", remembered Baker. "He didn't have it all quite worked out, but the basic framework was there. Then he stopped and said, 'Now dears this is where the opera section come in!' And I thought, 'Oh God!'" The over-the-top operatic reverie that is the song's middle section was originally intended only as a brief interlude, but once recording began, "Bohemian Rhapsody" took on a life of its own.

Roy Thomas Baker would arrive at the studio each day, assuming that the song was finished. And then Freddie would arrive: "He'd walk in and say, 'We'll just stick some more 'Galileos' in here'! It got longer and longer, and we kept adding blank tape...!" Sessions for the song eventually stretched to nearly three weeks, with the opera section alone taking seven days to complete. The trio of Mercury, May and Roger Taylor sang their parts continually for ten to twelve hours a day, resulting in an astonishing 180 separate overdubs. Although detractors accused Queen of being pretentious, the atmosphere in the studio was the exact opposite - the group were in constant hysterics at the overt campness of the song.

The group were justifiably proud of the finished product, and wanted it released as their next single. However, at nearly six minutes in length, both EMI and Queen's manager, John Reid, were reluctant, maintaining that the radio stations wouldn't play it. A subtle editing job was proposed, but Queen were adamant that the song should be heard in its entirety.

Freddie himself had some doubts as to its potential as a hit single, and sought the advice of his friend, DJ Kenny Everett, sending him a promo copy accompanied by strict instructions not to broadcast it. Kenny knew it was a hit "from the first note", and disobediently played it a reported fourteen times on his two weekend shows on Capital Radio, claiming that "his finger slipped"! EMI was swamped with inquires the following Monday and realized they were onto something big.

Released on October 31st 1975, "Bo Rhap" entered the charts the following week at No. 47, climbing to No. 1 three weeks later, where it stayed for an incredible nine weeks, helped by a memorable innovative prop video.

Three years later, Queen had gone from strength to strength, creating stadium anthems such as "We Are The Champions" and "We will Rock You", but it was "Bo Rhap" that was remembered when EMI was awarded the prestigious Queen's Award To Industry For Export Achievement. Beating off competition from thousands of other manufactures, EMI's International Division won the title due to the massive increase in exports of records by British artists.

As EMI's International Sales Manager at the time, Norman Bates, explained: "The award was for EMI's records and pressing fees, with some importance to Queen, who were getting bigger and bigger at the time. What it meant was that groups like Queen were being shipped to markets throughout the world where there were no manufacturing facilities. So from Iceland to Zanzibar we were selling records where previously we hadn't." After compiling a portfolio for the Department Of Trade And Industry, detailing the increase in turnovers, EMI became Her Majesty's choice for 1978. "It really was a coveted award," Bates recalled. "We were over the moon to receive it."

Justifiably proud, Paul Watts, then General Manager of EMI's International Division, decided to commemorate the award with the release of a special single. The choice of artist was easy. "The award represented the way in which Queen were so much a part o the fabric of the company," he recalled. "They were central to what EMI was doing." "Bohemian Rhapsody" seemed the natural choice for the record, as it was such a milestone and had been the single that had catapulted Queen into international super stardom.

The then current vogue for colored vinyl seemed to the the ideal way to present this special edition of 200 copies: "We came up with the band's original colors - purple and gold, as on the 'Queen I' cover," Watts remembered. "These colors signified Queen in a way. We decided on a maroon and gold sleeve and a single in purple vinyl." But it wasn't to be: the project became a corporate event, with EMI Records Ltd (and not just EMI the label) getting in on the action. Paul Watt reluctantly relinquished control of the project to "the team upstairs", imploring them to "make sure you do it right!"

But as Watts had feared, there was a blunder: "Lo and behold, when the record came back from the factory, it wasn't purple at all, but blue! It was a cock-up, but as we only had 200, it wasn't worth changing it." At the EMI pressing plant in Hayes, Middlesex, Production Controller John Tagg had no idea that the vinyl should have been purple, and - acting on corporate directives - pressed the record in blue. "The blue granules were specially formulated for the project," he remembered.

Pressing the run of 200 blue vinyl singles from the usual minimum of 1,000 or 1,500 black vinyl records was no easy feat, with Tagg and his team having to isolate the special edition from the rest of their system. Getting a pure blue strain of vinyl was also time-consuming, and the Queen single took around three days to produce, costing an exorbitant £4 to £5 per copy, where the usual rate was 50p. To finish off the record, full-colour "Night At The Opera" crest labels were printed and each disc was hand numbered on the A-side and again on the back of the special purple-and-gold sleeve.

Although John Tagg claims that the record was "very much a limited edition" of only 200 and that all the materials associated with the pressing were destroyed afterwards, some unnumbered test pressings or end-of-run copies did slip out. These come with finished labels but no sleeves, and are currently worth around £500-£600.

EMI's International Division was formally presented with the Queen's Award To Industry for Export Achievement at a three-hour luncheon in the Cotswold suite at London's Sellfridge Hotel on Wednesday, 26th July 1978. EMI directors and management were out in force, but Her Majesty was absent, sending instead the Vice Lord-Lieutenant Of Greater London, Admiral Sir Charles Madden as her representative. the group themselves were also noticeably absent, being holed up in Montreux, Switzerland, recording the "Jazz" album and holding a typically extravagant party for Roger Taylor's 29th birthday (most probably attended by naked women on bicycles).

The initial quantity of blue vinyl singles was framed and given to the members of Queen's entourage and EMI big cheeses. Press kits were packaged in an 'EMI International Division' purple carrying envelope (complete with card handles) and sent out with luncheon invitations. The remaining copies were handed out to the luncheon guests, along with a pair of etched goblets in a blue silk-lined box and a blue silk scarf, both bearing the official award's 'E' export logo. Some sets also came with a commemorative brio.

Despite the pomp and circumstance of the occasion, EMI's Norman Bates remembered that the record giveaway was a bit of a mundane affair: "They were just shoved in a plastic bag and handed out. You didn't really know what you had until you got back to the office. Most people got either the record, or the glasses and the scarf. But I managed to get all three!"
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 am

But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Killer Queen