The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Postby AndersDK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm sure you're right on that one (discogs agree too). It's a mess anyway. Just like with the french white vinyl of ANATO where someone decided to print "Queen" across the crest on the label as well as the overprinted catalogue number on the green NOTW. Pathé Marconi manner apparently ;-)

Anyway I'm very fond of the five special french presses: The two Jazz pd's and the ANATO, NOTW and AKOM colored ones. Are there any rumours about the quantities of these presses?

Funny story with Roy Thomas Baker. I guess he went (if he did) to the mastering lab to be sure that the drums sounded compressed enough for his taste.

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:54 pm

I never got the French AKOM one, in fact I only managed to get the New Zealand orange vinyl about a year ago. And my two genuine Jazz pic discs have only been acquired in the past ten years.

Seemed to miss them all when they first came out, and then up until the Internet, and ebay, they'd always go for extremely silly prices.

In fact, for the impending coloured vinyl releases, I've been on at anyone who'd listen (and many who wouldn't) for about the past fifteen years. I'd like to think that someone who's heard, picked up on some of the points I've made, and maybe that's why they're finally here. Long overdue anyway, but personally, I'd have stayed away from any specific colours previously released with specific albums, but I suppose ANATO on white, is the only colour they could really go with.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Spud » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

jimbo wrote:Here's one that is quite rare, it's the Freddie Mercury - Love Kills US Promo 12".

A brilliant sleeve not shown very well by my terrible photo :-(

Anyway I've always thought it odd that this said "Special AOR Sampler" on the top of the cover?

Just bought this online.
Let us cling together as the years go by
Oh my love, my love
In the quiet of the night
Let our candle always burn
Let us never lose the lessons we have learned

Spud
Spread Your Wings

Postby pootle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:12 am

jimbo wrote:I've done a full internet search and still can't find out much about this second UK LP version of Live At Wembley 86. According to a couple of threads on Queenzone it was definitely for sale in the UK with this "totally remixed and remastered by Roger Taylor" sticker, but only for a very short period of time, as a few people remember seeing it and buying it. Someone noted, like me, it was "printed in Germany" and thought the sticker might have been put on to sell it better in Germany where apparently Roger Taylor was popular at the time. This seems unlikely for many reasons, the main one being a few people bought this version in the UK as discussed above (nobody remembers this particular stickered version being sold in Germany), and the sleeve had the UK catalogue number on it.

So this is still a mystery, if anyone reading this knows more, please tell us and help solve the mystery of this very odd sticker being attached to this rare version of Live At Wembley 86!

Well. I have that LP and I sent copies to various friends around the world a few years ago and the concensus was that it sounded no different!
Maybe the label was just a marketing ploy to get people to buy that as well as the CD?

pootle
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Can't think why Roger would be particularly "qualified" to remix/remaster it, anyway.

Back in the day, if Brian was bored, he might have done that sort of thing, but this side of the millenium, they'd have got their "sound team" to do it, after all, that's why they employ them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 pm

I hope someone here can help me sort this out:

I just recieved the I Want It All promo pack today (http://www.discogs.com/Queen-I-Want-It- ... se/3571098).

The single contained in it is made in EEC (both cover and disc).

My question is now if this is a bastard or if the promo pack was also released outside UK?

Help appriciated!

Anders

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 pm

Can you give us some more detail?

Like what colour label and print has it got. Matrix numbers in the run off groove area. Etc etc.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Of course:

The single contained in the pack is simply this one: http://www.discogs.com/Queen-I-Want-It- ... se/1969700

The outer "envelope" sleeve, the picture and the press release is like this: http://www.discogs.com/Queen-I-Want-It- ... se/3571098

Maybe someone lost the UK-single originally packed and replaced it with this EEC one..? Or maybe this was simply given out in Germany or wherever and therefore packed with it.

If I'm the only one's who ever seen it with other than UK single, it's probably a bastard.

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:47 pm

OK, so it's a German vinyl with the black label, and cut out centre.

I think you're right. It's a bastard.

The UK single was pressed basically with three different labels. A white/pink paper label. A moulded label pressed into the record, with silver paint, and an extremely rare black paper label with silver print, mimicking a negative of the pink label.

If the promotional information is in English, I'd guess it would naturally have a UK pressed single with it. If it was in German, I'd expect maybe a German vinyl with it. Can't see why EMI UK would ship in a load of German singles, when they had thousands of Hayes pressed ones sat there.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Sound plausible to me. Thanks.

Anyway I can just un-bastard it with i UK single. Just don't know if I can get myself to it...

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:11 pm

If you wanted to see the black label one, there's one in the gallery here.

I'll see if I can link to it.

gallery/album.php?album_id=45&sk=n&sd=a&st=0&start=72

Second from left, top row.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Haven't seen that one before

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:39 am

I've only ever seen the one, in a second hand record shop somewhere in the Medway area, and I'm not joking when I say I bought it within a minute of first clapping my eyes on it. I dare say it wasn't just a one off, as on another occasion I picked up a copy of Paul McCartney's My Brave Face with a black and silver paper label, and I think most of those were issued with the pink Parlophone label or moulded silver painted label too.

I remember seeing a copy of The Miracle CD album, in a record shop in Swindon, it had a silver silkscreened label, with the Miracle logo in purple, and the titles in black, instead of the normal yellowy brown silk screening with the logo in red. I didn't buy that one, and have unfortunately never seen another like it since. Swindon being where EMI pressed their CDs back then, I guess lots of anomalies and test pressings/designs found their way out of the factory. I picked up a Greatest Hits CD just after EMI Swindon started pressing them, it's just like all the regular silver faced ones, except the black lettering is on a white background that covers the face of the disc. Never seen another like that one, either.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Very interesting with these anomalies.

Here's a beauty that i got in the mail today: The Danish version of Somebody To Love 7".

The front is pretty much like the UK version only with "Queen" added above the title and an EMI logo in the right corner (mine has a price tag sticked here. Don't know if I dare to take it off...). The record is indeed the UK version (no bastard here, this is the way they came. The back is the only thing really different. The text is: "listen to Queen's records". - Please do so.

As a Dane this has been on my wantlist for a long time. Finally I can cross it out. I believe it's very rare.

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Sat May 07, 2016 8:38 am

Great thread which I've only just found.

I did have a genuine (not one of the widely bootlegged) copy of the Bulgarian Greatest Hits pic disc. I think it was pressed in Germany about 1984 and with different tracklisting inc Sweet Lady and Death on Two Legs....

I bought it for about £17 in the late 80s from a second hand store, and it features in Record Collector top 10 Queen collectables of all time a few years back and was valued then at about £600. I sold my copy (wish I hadn't now!) on EBay for about £400 a few years back.....it's very possible that someone here bought it as it is a niche collectors item. I took some pics for the sale so must have them somewhere.

I have a lot of the usual suspects such as Japanese and European singles, pic discs, some promo releases, but nothing 'uber rare' that I'm aware of, though need to catalogue it all! I do have all Fredddie's original Mr Bad Guy single releases inc fold out packs and pic discs, plus a couple of additional things like the Love Kills AOR Sampler featured earlier in this thread. Also have a few signed vinyls such as Roger signed original Fun In Space, Mad, Bad...fully signed by The Cross and some others.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen