The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: The RARE Queen VINYL and CD Thread (with Photos)

Postby Guru » Thu May 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Kes wrote:I've only ever seen the one, in a second hand record shop somewhere in the Medway area, and I'm not joking when I say I bought it within a minute of first clapping my eyes on it. I dare say it wasn't just a one off, as on another occasion I picked up a copy of Paul McCartney's My Brave Face with a black and silver paper label, and I think most of those were issued with the pink Parlophone label or moulded silver painted label too.

I remember seeing a copy of The Miracle CD album, in a record shop in Swindon, it had a silver silkscreened label, with the Miracle logo in purple, and the titles in black, instead of the normal yellowy brown silk screening with the logo in red. I didn't buy that one, and have unfortunately never seen another like it since. Swindon being where EMI pressed their CDs back then, I guess lots of anomalies and test pressings/designs found their way out of the factory. I picked up a Greatest Hits CD just after EMI Swindon started pressing them, it's just like all the regular silver faced ones, except the black lettering is on a white background that covers the face of the disc. Never seen another like that one, either.

Massively late response, but I was living in Swindon when TM came out, and got a standard yellow edition on day one (there were about five of us trawling from shop to shop on that Monday waiting for stock to arrive).

On the wider subject of the EMI Swindon pressing plant, surely the discs were all sent somewhere else to be warehoused and then onwardly distributed, so there would be no correlation between pressing plant and Our Price records?

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Kes » Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 am

You've lost me with anything to do with connecting the factory to "Our Price Records". :oops:

As far as I'm aware, EMI Swindon would press the discs and silkscreen them, beyond that, I know sod-all. I don't even know if they were assembled into their boxes with booklets or not at that factory, or whether the process was done at somewhere else like EMI'ls facility in Hayes.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby cmsdrums » Tue May 17, 2016 11:59 am

AndersDK wrote:Of course:

The single contained in the pack is simply this one: http://www.discogs.com/Queen-I-Want-It- ... se/1969700

The outer "envelope" sleeve, the picture and the press release is like this: http://www.discogs.com/Queen-I-Want-It- ... se/3571098

Maybe someone lost the UK-single originally packed and replaced it with this EEC one..? Or maybe this was simply given out in Germany or wherever and therefore packed with it.

If I'm the only one's who ever seen it with other than UK single, it's probably a bastard.

I also have this 'promo' pack edition of I Want It All - I'll check out the detail to see if it's UK/EEC etc... I've no reason to believe mine is anything but genuine.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Kes wrote:I've only ever seen the one, in a second hand record shop somewhere in the Medway area.......

You're not far from me then Kes if you still live that way...I'm in Herne Bay!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon May 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Nah, I was just visiting.

I live more or less about fifteen miles due south of the centre of London.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm

I wonder how bootleggers manage to get these pressed ? Isn't it illegal ? :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-LIVE-4-30 ... SwqfNXo~Rf

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:40 pm

The same way they ever did.

They've bought the technology to both cut masters, and press discs.

There was a famous factory pressing bootlegs back in the seventies, called themselves TAKRL or something. Literally ALL the decent Queen bootlegs were pressed by them.

The Amazing Korneyphone Record Label.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Guru » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 pm

Kes wrote:You've lost me with anything to do with connecting the factory to "Our Price Records". :oops:

The post I quoted included your suggestion that the fact that you found an anomaly in a Swindon record shop might be because there was a nearby pressing plant. I was making the point that the supply chain wouldn't have been that simple, and that it was really just a coincidence.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby ChloeH » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 am

Good day all, I’m new to forums in general, so my apologies for any etiquette faux pas in advance.
In short, I’ve been very lucky in having my parent’s vinyl / acetate collection shipped over to me from London, UK to New Zealand. While going through it I found an acetate with Queen written on a blank label in green ink. After a bit of research, it appears to be an acetate of the 1971 Trident Studios De Lane Lea recording. The following tracks are present: -

• Jesus
• Liar
• Keep Yourself Alive
• The Night Comes Down
• Great King Rat

In May 2015 I made contact with the Queen group (via May’s website) and was put on to Greg Brooks and Kris Fredriksson. They made contact quickly and, after an exchange of query emails, organised a studio session (Stebbing, Auckland) here in NZ to make a recording of the acetate and send it through. The studio engineer was really excited at the find too, completed the recordings and sent through to Messrs Brooks and Fredriksson.

Following this, there were a number of exchanges for the rest of the year, one even asking me to hold on a bit longer before sharing with any forums (I was keen to share a possibly exciting find!).

Since 9 October 2015 there has been silence. This is the last response I had: -

Just to let you know that I had a bit of a go at this yesterday.
Unfortunately I need to rebuild an old system in order to get into this in the right way to be able to do a complete comparison with the work that went into the copy that is in the archive here, and I wasn't able to put my hands on every elements that I need to make that happen.
But SOMETHING is happening, and the first signs were encouraging.
Best wishes
Kris

So I find the silence a little odd. I’m looking for some advice / guidance on what I should do next…if anything! I really wouldn’t want to have something that could be important to the Queen legacy collecting dust in another attic!

ChloeH
Spread Your Wings

Postby AndersDK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 am

Sounds awesome.

Did you get a copy of the transfer yourself? If so, you could share it with us :) Over on Queenzone.com there's a dedicated forum for sharing.

Anders

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:22 pm

My guess would be that they've put it on the back burner due to other projects, or even forgotten entirely. Kris and the audio team will be paid by QPL to work on whatever they want to focus on, and if Brian, Roger and Jim decide to leave the acetate work untouched then sadly that's how it'll be.

The 2011 remastered included the tracks from Brian's acetate and whilst yours is hopefully a different mix or different versions, it could be that they've found it's the same as Brian's copy and so haven't done anything else with it.

I initially wondered why they haven't offered to buy the original disc from you, but then I suppose it will only really play a few tines without degrading and as they have now got a digital copy that serves their archive purposes.

Keep us posted on any progress!

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby ChloeH » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 am

AndersDK wrote:Sounds awesome.

Did you get a copy of the transfer yourself? If so, you could share it with us :) Over on Queenzone.com there's a dedicated forum for sharing.

Anders

Sounds great! I'll try and figure out how to share on Queenzone when I get a chance!

cmsdrums wrote:My guess would be that they've put it on the back burner due to other projects, or even forgotten entirely. Kris and the audio team will be paid by QPL to work on whatever they want to focus on, and if Brian, Roger and Jim decide to leave the acetate work untouched then sadly that's how it'll be.

The 2011 remastered included the tracks from Brian's acetate and whilst yours is hopefully a different mix or different versions, it could be that they've found it's the same as Brian's copy and so haven't done anything else with it.

I initially wondered why they haven't offered to buy the original disc from you, but then I suppose it will only really play a few tines without degrading and as they have now got a digital copy that serves their archive purposes.

Keep us posted on any progress!

I was thinking along the same lines - disappointing though when you've heard such encouraging noises from them and it could be something quite rare...sigh...

ChloeH
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

Guru wrote:
Kes wrote:You've lost me with anything to do with connecting the factory to "Our Price Records". :oops:

The post I quoted included your suggestion that the fact that you found an anomaly in a Swindon record shop might be because there was a nearby pressing plant. I was making the point that the supply chain wouldn't have been that simple, and that it was really just a coincidence.

I think we got our wires crossed.

The record shop I was on about, was a second hand one, and I think their supply might have been augmented by someone who worked at the plant, and was passing on stuff that wasn't part of what we might call the "regular supply chain".
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby AndersDK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:42 pm

ChloeH wrote:
AndersDK wrote:Sounds awesome.

Anders

Sounds great! I'll try and figure out how to share on Queenzone when I get a chance!

Can't wait!

AndersDK
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Kes wrote:
Guru wrote:

I think we got our wires crossed.

The record shop I was on about, was a second hand one, and I think their supply might have been augmented by someone who worked at the plant, and was passing on stuff that wasn't part of what we might call the "regular supply chain".

Understood - there weren't many second hand shops in Swindon - the only one I remember from that time was in a basement in a small arcade and I acquired a fair amount of vinyl there including my first bootleg (Sheetkeeckers) and half the collection of some muppet that wrote his name on everything (vinyl & sleeve), although he had looked after the vinyl, which was all that really mattered. I definitely had his copy of Love Kills, and possibly TGIC too.

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen