Formula 1

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Leigh Burne

Re: Formula 1

Post by Leigh Burne »

Ray wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 pmWhat a classic! I remember watching it back then...my brother and I were so shocked about that huge crash. When Coulthard made Schumacher lose a tire and the race, we actually laughed because we thought the race couldn't get any more crazy. Then Schumacher was so angry, he wanted to fight Coulthard in the pit and they had to hold him back, haha.
Over the last few years I've been enjoying Channel 4 playing those two clips back to Coulthard every time they're at Spa, or any other time they can find an excuse :lol:

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Coulthard never says anything interesting about it, does he? Isn't it all "it was all OK later "?

Ray

Post by Ray »

Coulthard was the best team-mate Häkkinen could have had in that race. :lol: From what I know he mostly claimed Schumacher didn't see him because of the rain. I also don't think Coulthard did it on purpose, it was just another accident due to the bad weather conditions.

I really enjoyed those seasons back then when Häkkinen and Schumacher were rivals and chasing each other, often for many laps. The legendary overtaking at Spa in 2000 when Häkkinen chased Schumacher for laps and then finally both overtook him and lapped Zonta at once was such a highlight - Häkkinen in his prime!

Despite being Germans, my brother and I were fans of Häkkinen (not Schumacher), he was in general very popular in Germany because of his friendly personality. It was always funny to watch the interviews after the race when he was asked a long compilcated question and usually thought about it for seconds, just to answer "yes" or "no" then. :lol:

Schumacher was so annoyingly ambitious and would have tried every dirty trick to win, despite being one of the best drivers anyway. He changed later though and became way more likeable...then that terrible accident happend. :cry: I fear we'll never see him again in public.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Ray wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 amSchumacher was so annoyingly ambitious and would have tried every dirty trick to win, despite being one of the best drivers anyway.
This was the main reason I never liked him back in the day. He didn't need any dirty tricks, he was already so good, so it just made him look like a c*nt.

At least when Senna ran Prost off the road in Japan 1990 you felt like he was simply settling the score for the previous year.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I think it's like a lot of people have said, generally (and there are exceptions) when you're that ambitious it becomes a "Win at all costs" mentality. Just look at Schumi hitting the wall in Monaco. There's no way that you'd pre-plan something that ridiculous, that's the "in the moment" lack of forethought, just do what needs to be done and worry about the consequences later. Senna and Schumacher were definitely both guilty of it (and I say that as a huge fan of both).

Hamilton seems to be the exception - he's never gone for the dirty move, relying on his genuine skill to get there. He does occasionally make a silly mistake (such as trying to get past Button at Canada when Button was clearly taking the normal racing line), but even those seem to be getting more minimal as the years go on.

To be honest, as a viewer I enjoy a little of both. They need to race hard to make it exciting. I loved it when Montoya came into the sport as he wasn't intimidated by Schumacher and went for it, where most other drivers would just back off. Unfortunately he mellowed very quickly.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 pm
JLP wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

F1 were doing the same thing themselves through their YouTube channel. Helped pass a few days when I couldn't even get out for a walk.
They showed the Australian race from 1994 recently where Schumacher accidentally collided with Damon Hill. ;)
Oh the one where he accidently aimed his car at Damon's?
That's the one.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 amHamilton seems to be the exception - he's never gone for the dirty move, relying on his genuine skill to get there.
This is one of the reasons I've warmed to him so much in recent years. Irrespective of his talent, he always seems to be fair.

The incident that immediately springs to mind is when the team ordered Bottas to let him by in Hungary a few years back, so he could have a go at the guy in front (I forget who it was). When Hamilton couldn't do the job either, he let Bottas back past before the line. And this was early on in a season where Vettel and Ferrari really looked like they were going to give Hamilton a run for his money.

Sure, you could say that was simply what was agreed when the initial switch was implemented. But by the same measure I'm pretty sure Vettel had agreed to let Leclerc back past after using him to slipstream off the line in Russia a couple of years back, but of course he didn't and it all kicked off in the Ferrari camp.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Some of them are decent blokes, some of them are prima donnas.

I knew a guy who sub-contracted at Williams, when Hill and Coulthard were the two listed drivers. Back then they had moulded seats, where the driver had to sit in a "fluid" seat while it set to their contours for about two and a half hours. This guy had to drill off pilot holes in the structure underneath them, that secured the seat to the car. Anyways, he bought a team jacket from the Williams shop and while the drivers were sat there doing sod all for 2 1/2 hours, he asked them if they could please sign the back of the jacket. Coulthard - Yeah, no worries. Hill - No, f*ck off, who do you think you are?

I know other people who worked at Kidlington airport, when Benneton were based in Witney, and they were told never to even make eye contact with Schumacher, as he'd get onto their management, and have them sacked.

On the other side of the coin, you have Hamilton. Just after he got his first championship at McClaren, he was "young driver ambassador" at Mercedes Benz World. At the time, Mercedes provided the engines for McClaren. Anyway, he had allowed himself half an hour to meet, greet, and sign autographs for the people who turned up. After about 2 hours, his advisors were telling him he'd seriously over-run his schedule, but he wouldn't leave until everybody who wanted an autograph, had got one, and even then, he grabbed a microphone and did an unplanned Q&A session.

The most emotional I've ever seen a driver, was Rubens Barrichello at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, about two weeks after Imola, when Ratzenberger and Senna had died. Somebody asked him an innocent question about what Senna meant to him, and Rubens just broke down in floods of tears. A gibbering wreck.

Another story from the same event. Patrick Head and Adrian Newey were stood chatting at the Williams garage there, and a press reporter asked Patrick Head if he had any comment to make on Senna's crash. He just turned round looked at the reporter, and then looked at Newey, and said "Ask him, he designed the car!" As far as I know, Adrian Newey never did another productive day designing at Williams.

As I say, good blokes, and bad ones.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Talking about Ayrton Senna, at that Festival of Speed, I was chatting to a couple of Williams mechanics.

Remember back then, telemetry on F1 cars was a fairly new thing. They could remotely read, and in some cases tweak engine management, traction control, launch mode, etc, they could fairly accurately read g-forces, acceleration, and braking. Anyway, these mechanics told me that Senna's steering column was sheered. An alluminium pole between the steering wheel, and the steering rack.

In the preceding two races, Senna had complained that it was too low, and in the way of his legs. Apparently, they raised it a couple of inches, and in doing that, had to cut it, and weld it back together again. With steel when you weld it, the join is usually a lot harder than the otiginal, with alluminium, it's like solder, and weaker. On examining the car, it was noticed that the column had failed on the weld. The only real question, is did it fail on or after the impact with the wall, or halfway through the Tamborello?

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Pretty sure the Italian court case concluded that the steering column shearing was the cause of the crash, but by the time they came to that conclusion the statute of limitations for manslaughter had expired under Italian law and so no one was charged.