Formula 1

Other music, TV, films and general interest
WeeMann

Formula 1

Post by WeeMann »

The opening round of the Formula 1 season at Melbourne has been pushed back to later in the year.

Kes

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

And news on that, Lewis Hamilton has just this week, finally signed a one year contract with Mercedes for this season.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Kind of interesting that he's only signed for one year. The most obvious reason is probably that he wants to wait see how Mercedes are shaping up ahead of the big regulation changes in 2022 before agreeing to continue, but part of me wonders whether he's planning to get his eighth title this year (as he most likely will), objectively making him the most successful driver of all time, before switching to a lesser team and seeing what he can do there.

Also in F1 news, they've agreed to trial sprint races in lieu of qualifying at three races this season.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

There's talk that, as Bottas' contract is also up at the end of the year, it opens Mercedes to sign George Russell and Max Verstappen for next year (assuming Max has a get out clause in his contract). That's a line up I'd like to see.

I like the idea of the sprint races, it should add some colour to the Saturday.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I know Hamilton went into this round of negotiations originally wanting a three year deal.

F1 have got budget caps coming in very soon, so that might have a bearing. I think if Mercedes had known how things were going to pan out, they'd have had Hamilton and Russell this next season, but Bottas had already sorted his contract out.

Part of Hamilton's new contract, is to open up a Mercedes F1 up and coming driver training school to diversity. So, like always with Lewis, it's not just about him.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

George Russell would always have been an issue joining this year, though. The 2021 car is basically the 2020 car, with some minor adjustments due to rule changes. When he raced for them last year, his feet were too large to fit properly, leading to him wearing shoes a size too small in order to get him in. You can get away with that for a race, but not a season.

If the plan is to get him in the team next year they can design the tub to accommodate his feet as there is a major shake up of the rules requiring pretty much a new car.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I fully expect to see Russell in a Merc for 2022.

I'm a big fan of his so I'd be all for it.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I hope that's the case. He's consistently put that Williams further ahead than he should be able too and the way he drove the Mercedes just proved he has the skills.

To be honest there's a great crop of drivers coming through - Leclerc, Norris, Verstappen, Sainz, Russell, plus the newbies this season, Tsunoda, Mazepin, Schumacher and that Alonso fella. If the rule changes next year give us closer racing I think we could be in for a good season or 2.

Kes

Post by Kes »

With the sprint races, do we know yet how they set the grids for those?

Another of the proposed rule changes, is absolutely no engine development allowed. That could be interesting with someone like Red Bull if Honda pull out.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:43 pm With the sprint races, do we know yet how they set the grids for those?

Another of the proposed rule changes, is absolutely no engine development allowed. That could be interesting with someone like Red Bull if Honda pull out.
There is qualifying for the sprint races on the Friday.