Formula 1

Other music, TV, films and general interest
WeeMann

Re: Formula 1

Post by WeeMann »

Oh yes, great race.

A shame to see Russell go out like that, but in a position to pass Bottas? Wow!

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

WeeMann wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:55 am Oh yes, great race.

Well yes. VB was having a terrible weekend though.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:55 amOh yes, great race.

Yep. He's a class act behind the wheel. Been driving the wheels off that Williams since he got in it. Still remember that cheeky move he pulled on Bottas whilst subbing for Merc at Bahrain last year, at a corner where literally no one pulled an overtake.

I'd put money on him being in a Mercedes next year, even if he's not exactly in Wolff's good books at the moment :lol:

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Red Bull have signed one of Mercedes’ senior engine technicians.

Not only is it a bit of coup to swipe one of the people instrumental in Merc’s dominance over the last seven years, it’s also a sign that Red Bull are serious about developing their power unit themselves once Honda pull out at the end of the year.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Generic username wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 am
WeeMann wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:55 am Oh yes, great race.

Well yes. VB was having a terrible weekend though.
Maybe so, but he was up to 9th in a Williams. It's been a few years since that was last possible.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Tbf a bit of rain always mixes things up. Not knocking Russell at all - as I've said, I'm a big fan - but would have been so far up the grid in the dry?

Although in fairness he was also in 10th last year when he dropped it, and that race was bone dry.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I think Williams are gradually improving and are certainly in a position to improve more in coming years. I listened to the Beyond The Grid podcast interview with Jost Capito this week and he's really optimistic, not to mention realistic - they won't be battling for the championship next year! Add in a driver like Russell and it looks good for them.

I can certainly see him replacing Bottas next year at Merc. The question will then be who Williams get to replace him. There are a couple of good drivers in F2 who didn't move up this year, but possibly no-one quite as good as him and Yuki, my new favourite driver. Yuki reminds me a little of Montoya when he came in to F1 - he doesn't give a toss who he's overtaking, he's just going to go for it. Montoya did it to Schumacher and Yuki has done it to Alonso.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 amI think Williams are gradually improving and are certainly in a position to improve more in coming years.
I certainly hope so. More than any other team on the grid, they're the ones I want to see back up the front. I just wish it could've happened while Frank and Claire were still involved.
WeeMann wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 amI can certainly see him replacing Bottas next year at Merc.
Or even Hamilton? Part of me still wonders whether his signing a one-year deal was merely a side effect of it being decided so late or whether it's possibly a sign of something more.
WeeMann wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 amYuki reminds me a little of Montoya when he came in to F1 - he doesn't give a toss who he's overtaking, he's just going to go for it. Montoya did it to Schumacher and Yuki has done it to Alonso.
Yeah, Tsunoda's definitely caught my eye.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Like it or lump it, Hamilton is worthy of what he's achieved. The only question is whether anyone can afford to have him, or transversely, afford not to have him.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I don't know if anyone saw the "collision" today between Max Verstappen, and Lewis Hamilton.

The main thing bugging me, is that if you were part of an accident that could have easily broken the neck of your championship rival, and your car was still on his head, wouldn't you at very least, go and have a look to see if you'd succeeded in killing him?

Not Max, he got out of his car, and walked off in the opposite direction, not giving a shit at all. At least when they collided at Silverstone, Hamilton was on the radio asking if Verstappen got out of the car, and was OK.

Sometimes, maturity, and immaturity shows.