Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
WeeMann

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by WeeMann »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm
Generic username wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 am Let me research that for you...

https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/how-much ... musicians/

Or, to put it in really simple terms - if you pay Spotify 10 currency units a month, and listen to 50 songs a day, how can those artists possibly be getting paid anything more than 0.01 of a currency unit? Apparently (5 minutes research, I recommend it), Spotify used to explicitly state that 10.5% of its income went on royalties. So those 10 currency units are already being split on a 90/10 basis between Spotify Inc. and ALL THE ARTISTS YOU LISTEN TO..

Does that seem like a money spinner from the artist's point of view to you?
I listen to music via Apple Music streaming service which pays more than Spotify if I correctly remember.
For myself, I consider it impractical and unprofitable to buy CDs that will collect dust most of the time. CD players for me outdated.
In addition, I do not have a CD player, and also there is no way to copy songs from the disc to a PC, and then transfer them to a portable device that is convenient to take with you on the road. Even if I had the opportunity to transfer songs from the disc to a portable device, even in this case I wouldn't bother with it, it's easier to buy a digital version of the album in an online store and listen to it and not think that the disc will be scratched, or that the casette will jam the tape
The problem with this business model is that it will kill the industry unless something changes soon.

Here's a little more in-depth research. You may feel happy that Apple is paying the artist more than Spotify, but it's still pitiful:

Spotify paid the artists $0,0032 per stream
Apple Music got the average rate of $0,0056
Google Play Music landed a $0,0055 payout rate
Deezer fell slightly lower at $0.00436

Source - https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-stre ... and-deezer

So, to earn $5.60 from Apple, an artist need 1000 streams. That is $5600 for a million streams. I doubt there are many artists out there who can afford to live on those levels of income.

Still, as long as you haven't had to fork out for a £20 USB cd player to plug in to your laptop, all is good.

https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-stre ... es-payouts

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

WeeMann wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:30 pm
Generic username wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 am Let me research that for you...

Or, to put it in really simple terms - if you pay Spotify 10 currency units a month, and listen to 50 songs a day, how can those artists possibly be getting paid anything more than 0.01 of a currency unit? Apparently (5 minutes research, I recommend it), Spotify used to explicitly state that 10.5% of its income went on royalties. So those 10 currency units are already being split on a 90/10 basis between Spotify Inc. and ALL THE ARTISTS YOU LISTEN TO..

I listen to music via Apple Music streaming service which pays more than Spotify if I correctly remember.
For myself, I consider it impractical and unprofitable to buy CDs that will collect dust most of the time. CD players for me outdated.
In addition, I do not have a CD player, and also there is no way to copy songs from the disc to a PC, and then transfer them to a portable device that is convenient to take with you on the road. Even if I had the opportunity to transfer songs from the disc to a portable device, even in this case I wouldn't bother with it, it's easier to buy a digital version of the album in an online store and listen to it and not think that the disc will be scratched, or that the casette will jam the tape
The problem with this business model is that it will kill the industry unless something changes soon.

Here's a little more in-depth research. You may feel happy that Apple is paying the artist more than Spotify, but it's still pitiful:

Spotify paid the artists $0,0032 per stream
Apple Music got the average rate of $0,0056
Google Play Music landed a $0,0055 payout rate
Deezer fell slightly lower at $0.00436

Source - https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-stre ... and-deezer

So, to earn $5.60 from Apple, an artist need 1000 streams. That is $5600 for a million streams. I doubt there are many artists out there who can afford to live on those levels of income.

Still, as long as you haven't had to fork out for a £20 USB cd player to plug in to your laptop, all is good.

https://soundcharts.com/blog/music-stre ... es-payouts

Music Streaming never die.
if music streaming dies, although this is bullshit, the CD will die next
If artists were not interested in this direction, they would not upload their music to streaming services.
I don't see anything wrong with streaming.
If artists did not earn anything from streaming services, then they would have abandoned this business model. I understand why you are against streaming services.Are you from the old school who is used to opening a box with a disc and putting it in the player and listening

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

No, I'm from the old school who believe people should be paid fairly for their work.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

WeeMann wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:15 pm No, I'm from the old school who believe people should be paid fairly for their work.

What if you pay for they work which you possibly bought many time before?
What is the point of paying for a product that is re-released more than once?
I understand if you are a collector of reissues that usually come out in beautiful covers on which words becomes brighter and brighter more beautiful and more beautiful with each reissue. And the packaging is becoming more and more reliable
But understand, not everyone suffers from this disease of collecting
Pay from year to year for the same thing so boring and senslesly. From the fact that you pay for these reissues and come out again and again. After all, this is the easiest thing. Why release a concert that has been asking for a release for a long time when they can once again reissue concert at Wembley stadium and fans will pee with happiness.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Whether people choose to collect different versions of a product is irrelevant.

There are tens of thousands of artists who are struggling to earn a living due to the greed of these streaming companies. These artists are being denied the opportunity to build a career that will allow them to re-release stuff in years to come as they won't survive long enough to do it.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Hmm, as soon as the "streaming makes money" angle was shot down, you changed tack to "this is what works for me".

No point having a discussion with you , you just keep changing the focal point to give yourself the last word.

Feel free.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The basic logistics are that it costs money to make a physical product, materials, promotion, and distribution, and yet still they pay the artist, writers, producers, about a third of the retail price.

Streaming has very little overheads, and the people running those services make much more money from each play, than the artists providing the music.

Artists have little choice, they either get paid sod all, or agree to it, and at least get "something" for their work.

Maybe I'll ease up on that view, when there's some sort of equilibrium, or fairness to the situation.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I still buy physical products and always will. You can stick streaming where the sun don't shine.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I find it really easy to pop a CD into my computer's risk tray, copy of onto the hard drive then transfer to my phone.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

JLP wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:14 amI still buy physical products and always will. You can stick streaming where the sun don't shine.
Aside from the equity of payments issue, I refuse to go for streaming because you have no real right of access to your music - if the streaming service decides some obscure album I love isn't worth providing any more, I completely lose access to it, even if I'm still paying them for the service. That can't happen if I've got the CD on my shelf.

There's also the fact a ton of music I really like simply isn't on streaming services.