Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
The Kurgan

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by The Kurgan »

I would be perfectly happy if QPL streamed material they have no intention of ever releasing to the masses.
They could make some more money for very little effort, rather than leaving it to gather dust in the archive.
I would of course prefer a physical format any day of the week though.

Kes

Re: Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Post by Kes »

....and of course, of the three it could be, which member of Queen absolutely hates the thought of someone else making more money out of his work, than he does?

I'll give you a clue, he's the drummer.

Starman

Post by Starman »

It’s entirely true that streaming is a bad deal for artist, especially those who haven’t broken through to the mainstream yet and don’t have much money. However the solution isn’t moving back to obsolete tech. The solution must be industrial reform to redress the balance and make sure artists get paid fairly.

There’ll always be a niche market for vinyl for collectors and purists, but the CD is pretty much dead.

Sometimes when you buy vinyl you also get a digital download and this should surely become the industry standard. Amazon do it so everyone else needs to follow suit or they’ll fall even further behind.

Kes

Post by Kes »

You get to keep a digital download, well, at the moment, anyway.

Streaming is like the radio used to be. It's there, and then maybe it isn't.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Kes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 pm You get to keep a digital download, well, at the moment, anyway.

Streaming is like the radio used to be. It's there, and then maybe it isn't.
You can always record the stream. 😇

Kes

Post by Kes »

Sounds a bit like being sat there with your little cassette player, recording the ones you liked on Sunday's New Top 40 radio show, in the 70's.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

I have no problem buying the album. I use spotify in the car as it is easier than trying to copy from a cd to my phone etc.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Kes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:03 pm Sounds a bit like being sat there with your little cassette player, recording the ones you liked on Sunday's New Top 40 radio show, in the 70's.
I don't own a little cassette player and I probably use a recorder you've never heard of before. 8-)

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Innuendoes wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:08 am
Kes wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:03 pm Sounds a bit like being sat there with your little cassette player, recording the ones you liked on Sunday's New Top 40 radio show, in the 70's.
I don't own a little cassette player and I probably use a recorder you've never heard of before. 8-)
Are you not familiar with the concept of simile?

If you're recording a stream, are you flexing your recording settings to match the incoming stream ( assuming the service even tells you what the coding is)? Or are you transcoding up to 320kps just to be on the safe side?

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

That's exactly what I did to record Roger's first stream back in the last century!
Anyone else remember 56k dial up?