Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
TheMiracleMan

Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Post by TheMiracleMan »

I wonder if Roger will be releasing singles from his forthcoming album as it does/done Brian via popular streaming services

Kes

Re: Roger's next solo album

Post by Kes »

When you can stream album tracks individually, I'm not sure I see the point of releasing them also as digital singles.

It's just a box ticking exercise, to try and get to 50,000 streams, so the artist can get about 20p for the royalty cheque.

Thank God the market seems to be moving back towards physical sales.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Kes wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:37 pm When you can stream album tracks individually, I'm not sure I see the point of releasing them also as digital singles.

It's just a box ticking exercise, to try and get to 50,000 streams, so the artist can get about 20p for the royalty cheque.

Thank God the market seems to be moving back towards physical sales.
:shock:

Kes

Post by Kes »

How many artists do you know, who've publicly stated that they've actually made a living wage out of streaming. Tech companies hoover up the money, and pay the artist a ridiculously small amount, just so they can say "Well, the artist DID get paid!"

Enough to go out and buy an ice cream, maybe.

An artist, these days, only makes money from touring. Not much of that going on in the last 18 months.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Kes wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:02 pm How many artists do you know, who've publicly stated that they've actually made a living wage out of streaming. Tech companies hoover up the money, and pay the artist a ridiculously small amount, just so they can say "Well, the artist DID get paid!"

Enough to go out and buy an ice cream, maybe.

An artist, these days, only makes money from touring. Not much of that going on in the last 18 months.
Obviously you have outdated views. Streaming is the engine for all kinds of musicians. Brian put three of his songs on streaming services. Queen's albums and Roger Taylor on streaming services. If they didn't want their music to be on streaming services, they would say no, although who will listen to Brian and Roger. The bosses of the record companies decide everything.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Kes' views are far from outdated, and the existence of albums on streaming services is not proof that income levels are high.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Then why is the release of new albums or reissues accompanied by a link to streaming services? If record companies were not interested in this area, there would be no links, but there are links. We need to live in the present and the future and not shake the dust off vinyl records

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Anyway, I prefer the streaming music format than every time buy new cd's, dvd's, vinyl

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Let me research that for you...

https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/how-much ... musicians/

Or, to put it in really simple terms - if you pay Spotify 10 currency units a month, and listen to 50 songs a day, how can those artists possibly be getting paid anything more than 0.01 of a currency unit? Apparently (5 minutes research, I recommend it), Spotify used to explicitly state that 10.5% of its income went on royalties. So those 10 currency units are already being split on a 90/10 basis between Spotify Inc. and ALL THE ARTISTS YOU LISTEN TO..

Does that seem like a money spinner from the artist's point of view to you?

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Generic username wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 am Let me research that for you...

https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/how-much ... musicians/

Or, to put it in really simple terms - if you pay Spotify 10 currency units a month, and listen to 50 songs a day, how can those artists possibly be getting paid anything more than 0.01 of a currency unit? Apparently (5 minutes research, I recommend it), Spotify used to explicitly state that 10.5% of its income went on royalties. So those 10 currency units are already being split on a 90/10 basis between Spotify Inc. and ALL THE ARTISTS YOU LISTEN TO..

Does that seem like a money spinner from the artist's point of view to you?
I listen to music via Apple Music streaming service which pays more than Spotify if I correctly remember.
For myself, I consider it impractical and unprofitable to buy CDs that will collect dust most of the time. CD players for me outdated.
In addition, I do not have a CD player, and also there is no way to copy songs from the disc to a PC, and then transfer them to a portable device that is convenient to take with you on the road. Even if I had the opportunity to transfer songs from the disc to a portable device, even in this case I wouldn't bother with it, it's easier to buy a digital version of the album in an online store and listen to it and not think that the disc will be scratched, or that the casette will jam the tape