Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Post by Kes »

The thing is, if I was into streaming, and in turn interested in recording them, then I'd probably have an idea of which technology I'd want to do it with.

But as I'm not, it's a reasonable supposition that I don't know what recorder anybody uses. For that reason, as Duncan Ballentyne might say "It's a silly idea, it'll never work, Ahm ooot!"

Ray

Post by Ray »

I also don't see the "trouble" with converting a CD to your phone or other device. Copy it to the computer and then over to whatever you use, done. Takes about 3 minutes, I would feel quite lazy if I would consider even that as "too much effort".

Furthermore, I love buying CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays on release date (or in general) at my local store. It's always great after months of anticipation to finally hold a new album of your favourite band in the hands. Also you got a nice booklet with lyrics, pictures and liner notes, all part of the "album package" for me. There are also often Digipack/Digibook editions for only 1€ more, often also with bonus CDs or even DVDs. How can this NOT be worth 15-20€?

I usually also don't buy albums multiple times. Either I stick with the edition I already have or I upgrade if I really like the new edition and sell the old one or give it to a friend.

Also, seeing your own CD collection that you spent years/decades building is always nice. It's like a visual representation in your home of all the music you love.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Ray wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 am I also don't see the "trouble" with converting a CD to your phone or other device. Copy it to the computer and then over to whatever you use, done. Takes about 3 minutes, I would feel quite lazy if I would consider even that as "too much effort".
New computers don’t even have CD drives nowadays. Seriously, it’s obsolete technology. And CDs are so boring that they don’t even hold any nostalgic appeal - I see cassettes are making a comeback amongst collectors.

This is why physical albums should come with digital versions as industry standard, because as time goes on physical albums will increasingly just be for collectors who will often not have a means of transferring the files to their computer, especially if (as will become increasingly likely) they buy the vinyl or tape version.

The Kurgan

Post by The Kurgan »

Digital recordings laid on vinyl or tape do not appeal to me, and are really quite pointless.
CD is a lossless format, which is a lot more than can be said of streaming at this point in time.
Roger's new album is offered on CD, so that's the one for me.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pm
Ray wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 am I also don't see the "trouble" with converting a CD to your phone or other device. Copy it to the computer and then over to whatever you use, done. Takes about 3 minutes, I would feel quite lazy if I would consider even that as "too much effort".
New computers don’t even have CD drives nowadays. Seriously, it’s obsolete technology. And CDs are so boring that they don’t even hold any nostalgic appeal - I see cassettes are making a comeback amongst collectors.
You mean "CDs are boring" compared to the thrilling and exciting digital files? :lol: Funny comment...never heard of physical media being called "boring", as if a CD's intention - as a medium - is to entertain. Speak for yourself, but for very many people CDs are far from obsolete, boring or lacking nostalgic appeal. Let alone the fact that musicians basically earn shit from streaming. Music is taken for granted by way too many people and they don't even think about supporting the musicians.
Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pmThis is why physical albums should come with digital versions as industry standard, because as time goes on physical albums will increasingly just be for collectors who will often not have a means of transferring the files to their computer, especially if (as will become increasingly likely) they buy the vinyl or tape version.
You don't realize that 1. not only collectors buy physical media and 2. there are LOTS of a) collectors and b) people that just like physical media who will always buy them when possible. There is a reason Vinyl made a comeback in the last years and I don't see it vanishing again anytime soon, so why should the even more popular CDs?!

Kes

Post by Kes »

For the same reason that vinyl and cassettes have seen a resurgence, it stands to reason that later forms of media carriers will at some point, have a resurgence, as well.

It might be dependent on the availability of second hand forms of the particular item, as with the re-released stuff that's coming out now.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Ray wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:38 pm
Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pm
You mean "CDs are boring" compared to the thrilling and exciting digital files? :lol: Funny comment...never heard of physical media being called "boring", as if a CD's intention - as a medium - is to entertain. Speak for yourself, but for very many people CDs are far from obsolete, boring or lacking nostalgic appeal. Let alone the fact that musicians basically earn shit from streaming. Music is taken for granted by way too many people and they don't even think about supporting the musicians.
Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pmThis is why physical albums should come with digital versions as industry standard, because as time goes on physical albums will increasingly just be for collectors who will often not have a means of transferring the files to their computer, especially if (as will become increasingly likely) they buy the vinyl or tape version.
You don't realize that 1. not only collectors buy physical media and 2. there are LOTS of a) collectors and b) people that just like physical media who will always buy them when possible. There is a reason Vinyl made a comeback in the last years and I don't see it vanishing again anytime soon, so why should the even more popular CDs?!
Hey, if you like CDs then good for you, I’m not attacking them, I’m just describing the state of play as I see it.

CDs are ‘boring’ in that they’re just pieces of metal. If (and I accept you might disagree with the premise but for argument’s sake let’s briefly accept it) CDs become obsolete in that computers no longer have CD drives and CD players become increasingly rare (like the VHS player), why would anyone choose a CD over a vinyl when deciding which physical product to buy as a physical embodiment of the digital files they play? On a really simple level, vinyl is bigger and therefore the booklet is bigger. People frame vinyls. Have you ever seen anyone frame a CD? (I’m sure you’ll say yes, but please at least accept that vinyl is far more popular for this purpose)

I didn’t say that digital files aren’t boring; fundamentally they’re just a load of 0s and 1s after all, but they’re incredibly versatile and that’s why they’re taking over the market alongside streaming.

I also accept that streaming is a bad deal for the artists and I addressed this in an earlier post. But the solution isn’t to take a step backwards and go back to CD players, it’s industrial reform. Progress is never made by going backwards. Opposition to progress very rarely lasts for very long.
Last edited by Starman on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Kes wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:49 pm For the same reason that vinyl and cassettes have seen a resurgence, it stands to reason that later forms of media carriers will at some point, have a resurgence, as well.

It might be dependent on the availability of second hand forms of the particular item, as with the re-released stuff that's coming out now.
Maybe it’ll happen with CDs but I doubt it. I think the cassette thing will prove to be a short-lived retro phase. Vinyl will always (or at least for a long time) have a market though I suspect.

Starman

Post by Starman »

I’m sorry that these facts cause such unhappiness but if your happiness is anchored to the ongoing commercial success of a circular piece of metal you possibly need to evaluate why that is.

By the way I’m not ideologically opposed to the CD. I own many, I think the last album I bought was a CD and I got a notification just a couple of hours ago that another CD (bundled with a vinyl and digital copy) is on its way to me even as we speak. And I do own a USB CD drive.

I have no preference for digital/streaming to triumph over CDs. But I can see that it’s inevitable.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pmAnd CDs are so boring that they don’t even hold any nostalgic appeal
:lol: You're right, a big disc of black plastic is much more interesting to look at the a smaller disc of silver plastic!

I don't own CDs because they're interesting, I own them because they the easiest, most convenient way for me to get music into my life and keep it in a safe format that isn't susceptible to the whims of a streaming provider or the health of my electronic equipment.