Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Other music, TV, films and general interest
JLP
Site Admin

Re: Roger's next solo album The Streaming Discussion.

Post by JLP »

Maybe taking away CD drives is a clever way of forcing people stream. They forced us to buy CDs by putting bonus tracks on them. Same with Blu Ray discs. If people cannot get their music onto their phones, tablets etc, they might be forced to stream.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Desktop PCs still come with disc drives. It's only really laptops that have ditched them, for lightness and sleekness.

And either way external disc drives are still readily available.

Although I can't help but notice my PS4 won't play CDs whereas my PS3 would.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 am Desktop PCs still come with disc drives. It's only really laptops that have ditched them, for lightness and sleekness.

And either way external disc drives are still readily available.

Although I can't help but notice my PS4 won't play CDs whereas my PS3 would.
Apple Macs don’t have them either

Starman

Post by Starman »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:29 am
Starman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pmAnd CDs are so boring that they don’t even hold any nostalgic appeal
:lol: You're right, a big disc of black plastic is much more interesting to look at the a smaller disc of silver plastic!
I suspect you’re being sarcastic but yes, you’re right, they are. If nothing else, the cover art and booklet are bigger. Again - when albums go platinum, are artists presented with framed vinyl or framed CDs?

I don't own CDs because they're interesting, I own them because they the easiest, most convenient way for me to get music into my life and keep it in a safe format that isn't susceptible to the whims of a streaming provider or the health of my electronic equipment.
I understand that view, and I think part of the reason why I have never embraced streaming myself but certainly buy digital downloads is that I want a degree of certainty that those tracks exist on demand and aren’t dependent on internet connection or whatever. But I think that the reality is that your digital tracks are safe. Just look at similar industries that at have gone digital. There was a time when there was a kickback against digital photography, with purists preferring films, but I can’t even remember the last time I saw a camera film. Surely only the most neurotic of people print out their photos on the basis that their digital photos might be lost.

And again, I say all the above as an objective assessment of fact. I really don’t care which medium ‘wins’. It’s just pretty obvious which one it’s going to be.

Starman

Post by Starman »

I would also add that whilst CDs may seem like safe storage of your music, digital copies are far more future-proof, counterintuitive though that may seem.

Do you have a plan for how you will retrieve data from an old floppy disc should the need arise? Or a VHS? Or one of those larger 5 1/4 inch floppy discs?

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Starman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 amI would also add that whilst CDs may seem like safe storage of your music, digital copies are far more future-proof, counterintuitive though that may seem.
Yes and no. Hard drives go kaput.

And even now I've gone to re-download something from Amazon only to find that particular file isn't available from them any more.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:19 am
Starman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 amI would also add that whilst CDs may seem like safe storage of your music, digital copies are far more future-proof, counterintuitive though that may seem.
Yes and no. Hard drives go kaput.

And even now I've gone to re-download something from Amazon only to find that particular file isn't available from them any more.

Clearly the industry is still finding its feet here. I think if you buy a download there should be a reasonable expectation that the provider will continue to provide it for as long as you want it. That should become easier as internet speeds and cloud storage capacities increase, which they continue to do almost exponentially.

If you move to the other side of the world and want to bring all your music with you, your options are to transport your vinyl collection (and probably a vinyl player) at considerable expense, transport your CD collection at less but still great expense, or pop every single track you've ever bought into a USB drive smaller than your thumb. Or if they're in the cloud, you don't need to do anything other than log back on once you arrive.

In today's world it really is a no-brainer to predict what's going to win.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Replace the hard drive with a new solid state drive. Back up all the files to an external hard drive such as Seagate or whatever you have over there that's decent and dependable, then back them up a 2nd time on another external drive for safety's sake, if you're that worried about them. Then you have 3 copies and a new hard drive that should not overheat and will last for years. That's for laptops.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Lol, if you want to move to the other side of the world, I think your music collection will be the least problem/task you have. Also, how many people want to move to the other side of the world? Not really a good argument for that discussion.

It will be never guaranteed you can get your digital files back once you lose them. Rights situations also change over time, so some things will just vanish or you have to buy them again. Same as with physical media. There are pros and cons for both streaming and physical, but to say one is definitely superior is just subjective and no fact. It depends on personal preferences, that's all. It's like saying that Queen album is better than the other, because the songs are shorter/longer or because you prefer mustache-Freddie to 70s Freddie.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Ray wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:17 am Lol, if you want to move to the other side of the world, I think your music collection will be the least problem/task you have. Also, how many people want to move to the other side of the world? Not really a good argument for that discussion.

It will be never guaranteed you can get your digital files back once you lose them. Rights situations also change over time, so some things will just vanish or you have to buy them again. Same as with physical media. There are pros and cons for both streaming and physical, but to say one is definitely superior is just subjective and no fact. It depends on personal preferences, that's all. It's like saying that Queen album is better than the other, because the songs are shorter/longer or because you prefer mustache-Freddie to 70s Freddie.
Well, it’s usually pretty mean-spirited to criticise someone’s analogy or hypothetical scenario, but as you’ve done it with my extraordinarily unlikely story of someone daring to move to the other side of the world (which I’ve done twice), I’ll explain why your comparison to someone preferring moustache-Freddie is rubbish.

For as long as music remains available, it’s very likely that both moustache and long-hair Freddie music will still be available. There are some unlikely scenarios in which this might not be the case but I think we can dismiss them within our lives.

Physical media, on the other hand, is quite clearly dying. That’s not my desire or my opinion, it’s just cold hard facts. Any resurgence is a dead cat bounce.

There are lots of reasons why physical media can enhance the experience of consuming music. I get that. Indeed, I agree with it and I’m part of the ever-decreasing minority that still buys physical music. But I accept that I’m basically like those guys on the Titanic who played on whilst the ship was sinking.

When physical media ceases to be available, I will be mildly sad but it won’t affect me too much. I’ve already accepted it and don’t get upset or defensive when people on message boards suggest that they’re dying media. Clinging on and insisting that physical media is superior is like saying you’ll never buy an electric vehicle because you love the purring sound of an internal combustion engine. Your view is understandable but it’s one that will seem totally bizarre in one or two generations’ time.