She Makes Me???

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: She Makes Me???

Postby Peace Loving Guy » Fri May 18, 2018 2:01 pm

I love Sheer Heart Attack from start to finish. It takes you in to this memorable world full of slightly seedy night time characters, like an Edward Hopper painting. It feels like it's set in some hybrid 1930/1970s world full of gangsters, prostitutes and groupies, plus it seamlessly combines British and American sensibilities without jarring.
She Makes Me is so evocative and elusive. The subtitle Stormtrooper in Stilettos, (which feels like a reference to 1930s Nazi Era Berlin), coupled with the US police sirens, gives the song an ominous ending as the person takes their last breath.

Peace Loving Guy
Spread Your Wings

Postby BrandonSquared » Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 am

Peace Loving Guy wrote:I love Sheer Heart Attack from start to finish. It takes you in to this memorable world full of slightly seedy night time characters, like an Edward Hopper painting. It feels like it's set in some hybrid 1930/1970s world full of gangsters, prostitutes and groupies, plus it seamlessly combines British and American sensibilities without jarring.
She Makes Me is so evocative and elusive. The subtitle Stormtrooper in Stilettos, (which feels like a reference to 1930s Nazi Era Berlin), coupled with the US police sirens, gives the song an ominous ending as the person takes their last breath.

That's a fascinating description of the album as a whole - it's a colorful yet darkly enigmatic view of a mixed world that the guys roll us through. It's almost dreamlike in that respect. You described also the theoretically interesting concept behind She Makes Me - it is haunting and that ending is so open-ended - but to hear the song in actuality is a bore. I appreciate it conceptually but not as a piece of music. It fits better on SHA than it would on any other album, but I still wish there was more to the arrangement.

BrandonSquared
Spread Your Wings

Postby fosterol » Sat May 26, 2018 7:27 am

Never liked, liked a bit, bit more, n now love it. The simple use of chords is effective esp following the opening A / D repetetive verse section. Weird ending that sets up L O T G very effectively

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby sbrown » Tue May 29, 2018 12:51 am

Cool Cat wrote:I think Brian wrote the song about his mother.

that's just nasty

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 am

A quick Google image search has revealed some disturbing imagery...

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Previous

Return to Killer Queen