SHEER HEART ATTACK LP (vinyl collectors guide)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

SHEER HEART ATTACK LP (vinyl collectors guide)

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Sheer Heart Attack is my favourite Queen album, and vinyl is my favourite format, so I have always collected this vinyl LP over the years.

I have become a bit of an expert on it to be honest (sadly some might say :lol: ), especially over the last year, where I have studied it in lots of detail.

I have over 50 copies of the UK Sheer Heart Attack LP, there are many slight different variations which frankly very few people will be interested in, but hey if even one person is interested about this then this has been worthwile :)

Also Sheer Heart Attack was released on vinyl LP in about 30 different countries, I've collected these from about 25 countries, the last 5 or so are proving difficult to find for me anyway e.g any Queen collectors out there in India please get in touch :?

So the UK Sheer Heart Attack LP was first released in November 1974. That first LP sleeve can be identified as I'm sure some people know, as they forgot to put the Trident symbol on the back of the cover in the bottom right hand corner. This was added for all future pressings. Also the inner sleeve of that very first pressing is also different to all other pressings. For that first inner sleeve, the bottom corners are not cut, and the Queen crest is in the very bottom right hand corner, unlike all other versions (photos to follow). The matrix numbers for that very first pressing are:-
A-side YAX4881-3U
B-side YAX4882-4U
The UK LP was actually mastered/cut at The Mastering Lab, Los Angeles, USA after the group were not happy with the cuts done at Trident. I actually have an acetate from The Mastering Lab of the first cut done there, and also those rejected first cut Trident test pressings in my collection (someone else has the first Trident acetates I'm guessing Brian has those now), all mine came from the late great Mike Stone.

There is a lot of misinformation about this very first pressing, but what I have explained above is definitely 100% correct. The inner sleeve and matrix details above are 100% definitely correct for the first pressing (even people in the past who think they know about this have unfortunately got this wrong on a few places on the internet, to be honest it is really confusing, that's why I've spent lots of time on it to work it all out e.g the 3U/3U pressing is very bizarrely definitely a later pressing). I will give more detail and explain further this evening when I've got more time, and add lots of photos, which explains it better than me rambling on :)

There are 5 different inner sleeves for the original UK pressing of SHA, from 1974 to about 1986, photos to follow.

Here we go, hope this works, the very first version of the inner sleeve from November 1974, which has no bottom corners cut, the crest in the very bottom right hand corner, and the lyrics to Misfire in the bottom left (on all other versions of the inner sleeve, they were top middle).

This version of the inner sleeve is actually the most common (as SHA sold more copies in late 1974 and throughout 1975 than at any other time obviously), although there are 3 variations (different numbers of bottom corners cut). This design was used from December 1974 through to about the end of 1975 (maybe early 1976). At first they had no bottom corners cut, then they cut one corner (as shown in photo), then they cut both bottom corners. It is definitely that order, as that matches the matrix numbers order.

There are 3 more different inner sleeves for SHA, shown in a post below.

And if anyone has any info or photos of anything interesting about this superb Sheer Heart Attack LP, please post them here in this thread, as I'm always learning new stuff about this amazing album!
Last edited by jimbo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Re: SHEER HEART ATTACK LP (vinyl collectors guide)

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:56 pm

All interesting stuff to me.

Here's some other info to add to your research.

http://www.discogs.com/Queen-Sheer-Hear ... se/2768455

Note: That their copy has one side (the A) done at The Mastering Lab - 6U TML-S, and the B side without a U, indicating it was done at Abbey Road, and it has Abbey Road hand-etched in a separate part of the dead wax.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Kes wrote:All interesting stuff to me.

Here's some other info to add to your research.

http://www.discogs.com/Queen-Sheer-Hear ... se/2768455

Note: That their copy has one side (the A) done at The Mastering Lab - 6U TML-S, and the B side without a U, indicating it was done at Abbey Road, and it has Abbey Road hand-etched in a separate part of the dead wax.

Thanks Kes, well it's probably just you, Billyboy and about 4 others, but anyway I'll stick with it :?

Yeah, that's the very last UK pressing thanks. Like many other pressings with Sheer Heart Attack, it's a bit odd. For the B-side they hardly used the 5U cut to produce the mothers/stampers, and didn't use the 6U at all (guessing that one never passed quality control), so they obviously decided to go to Abbey Road to do a new cut. The "7" was the only one they did (or at least used), and they never used an Abbey Road cut for the A-side. For the A-side they were obviously happy that the 6U Mastering Lab (TML) cut was still working well to use up until the end.

At the moment I'm having trouble with my photos unfortunately, but will try later, below is some info I've mentioned before in another thread, which had a couple of photos in it luckily.

This is a close-up of the bottom right hand corner of the rear sleeve of the quite rare original first UK pressing from November 1974 which has no "Trident" symbol there:-

This is a close up of the same from the quite rare last EMI UK pressing of the Sheer Heart Attack LP from about 1986, with writing stating English manufacture underneath the "Trident" symbol:-

I'd say about 98% of all the EMI UK pressings of the Sheer Heart Attack LP just have the "Trident" symbol there (with nothing underneath about English manufacture).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 pm

As I mentioned earlier, there are 5 different inner sleeves for the original UK pressing of SHA (1974 to about 1986). The first 2 are above.

This is the third one, and like the first version is quite relatively rare. I think these were only made from around late 1975 to around the beginning of 1976. It is basically the same as the second version, only with rounded corners.

This is the fourth version. It was made 1976 to about 1980, so is quite common as SHA sold well in the late 70's. It is very similar to the 3rd version having rounded corners, but underneath the crest on both sides it now says "Crest Design Queen Productions LTD 1975" instead of "G & L" underneath crest on A-side and "EMC3061" underneath crest on B-side, which it had always said previously.
Also this version is made out of lots of different types of paper and card (OK I admit that I am now going into too much detail :lol: ), they obviously kept ordering it in smaller batches than in 1975, and the materials changed. I've got this version of the sleeve in thin matt paper, thick matt paper, thin shiny paper, plasticky paper and thick card (as shown below)!

This is the fifth and final UK EMI version, it was made about 1981 to 1986. SHA didn't sell brilliantly at this time, but these are not difficult to find. It is the same as the fourth version basically only with square corners.

Last edited by jimbo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Right then, this bit is for fanatics only, the different matrix details :lol:

The matrix details stamped into the run-out grooves shows which versions were made first etc. For most LP's this is relatively straightforward, but for Sheer Heart Attack, it is really confusing!

To be honest when I started looking at this in detail I gave up, as it didn't seem to make any sense, but I came back to it earlier this year, and I have now worked it out.

Anyway the A-side is "YAX 4881-1U
B-side is "YAX 4882-1U.

The YAX numbers don't change, but the different cuts/lacquers/masters whatever you call them, used to actually cut the mother plates used to manufacture the actual stampers which press the vinyl LP's, are differentiated by the U numbers.

Firstly I'll mention where the lacquers/masters used to cut the stampers were made. It seems the "1U" were cut at Trident, the 2U-6U were cut at The Mastering Lab (TML), Los Angeles, USA and the "7" was cut at Abbey Road.

So the 1U were cut at Trident, were not sonically up to standard it seems. The 2U I'm quite sure was the first TML cut as I have my TML acetate (photos later) in an inner sleeve with 2U written on it. This can't be a coincidence, but anyway they were not happy with the 2U for whatever reason as that wasn't used at all.

So the first used cut was the 3U made at TML. There were 3 different lathes at The Mastering Lab at this time used to cut the lacquers "S", "M" and "X". And the following were used to cut the various masters.

3U TML-S
4U TML-M
5U TML-S
6U TML-S

I wasn't going to mention that, but they are stamped into the runout grooves, so thought I'd try and explain it. (As Kes mentioned earlier for the "7" cut, done later, that has "Abbey Road" in the runout grooves).

So to summarise:-

1U Trident
2U Not used (as explained probably TML though)
3U The Mastering lab (TML)
4U TML
5U TML
6U TML
7 Abbey Road

Now this is where it gets weird. So you'd have thought as 1U were not up to standard, same with 2U, then 3U would have been used first, well it was for the A-side, but not for the B-side :?
I have some very first pressings, and they are definitely 3U/4U pressings 100%, in fact the first 50 or so pressings are 3U/4U.
They then seemed to make an error when looking to cut some more mother plates, and actually used the 1U cut to make one stamper. Yes the rejected 1U B-side Trident cut seemed to be accidentally used to make one stamper "1OT" actually, that is mother plate number "1" for the 1U matrix, and stamper plate with letters "OT" (that is actually number 59, see codes further down). It is competely bizarre as not only was it used once, it was used to make the B-side with a 3U and a 4U cut stamper on the A-side, really really odd. So there is one 3U/1U version out there, and one 4U/1U version out there, probably about 500 copies of each, so these are really rare and almost impossible to find :shock:

Well done to anyone following this, I'll keep going :lol:

They then briefly used the 3U to cut a few stampers for the B-side, and matched them up with the 3U A-side. Again these are very rare, but I've found 3 different combinations (there might well be a few more), but again these are definitely late 1974, and definitely made after the earliest 3U/4U. An example is a 3U/3U with 83rd stamper on A-side and 77th stamper on B-side, whereas I have 3U/4U with 1st stamper on A-side and 1st stamper on B-side, the holy grail 1G/1G pressing (using the GRAMOPHLTD code for stamper numbers 1234567890 etc).

After that they used the 4U/4U combination for most of 1975 seemingly, and these are by far the most common versions made of SHA. I would estimate 70% are 4U/4U, 20% are 3U/4U, and the others make up the rest. As SHA sold by far the best in 1974-76 than at any other time.

So the different combinations that I've found of the matrix details, in order of manufacture are:-

1U/1U Test pressing only (incredibly rare probably only about 10 exist)
3U/4U
3U/1U (very very rare)
4U/1U (very very rare)
3U/3U (very rare)
4U/3U (this was used before and after the 4U/4U versions actually, quite rare though)
4U/4U
4U/5U (rare)
5U/3U
6U/3U
6U/5U (rare)
6U/7

I think that is every combination of A and B-side matrix details. I've been looking for a few years, and that's all I've found. There maybe one more, I've always thought maybe 5U/5U, but never seen it. So that is 11 different retail versions in total + the first test pressing obviously.

Phew, there we go. There are incidentally about 400 different A-side Stamper matrixes in total according to the codes, but it isn't known how many were missed out, and how many combinations of A and B-sides were done. So I can't work out how many stamper pressings, and it is basically impossible to know. That's all I know anyway, I apologise for any confusion, but it is really difficult to explain it easily.

Edit:-
One thing I forgot to mention is that even though I've only got about 50 copies of the UK version of SHA LP (I say only but you know what I mean), I've only really bought the rarer versions. I've been collecting for years, and seen literally thousand of matrix numbers in shops/record fairs/others collections/the internet(websites/ebay/discogs/popsike etc). So I'm not just going on my 50 copies, that would be ridiculous, I'm going on all the different versions I've seen over the years, and that is thousands.
Last edited by jimbo on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Here is a photo of the back cover of the original Italian LP version of SHA, I think it is the only version that doesn't have the "slashes" on the back cover!

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:51 pm

I'll just add a little extra explanation, just in case it wasn't clear, that EMI UK would add the letter "U" into the matrix number of any cut not made at an EMI cutting facility, ie EMI Manufacturing at Hayes or Abbey Road.

Jimbo knows this already, as I've discussed it with him.

Re: The slashes, I always thought it was meant to be "held in place" broken glass, like a broken picture frame pane.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Prophet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Wow, thanks for the information overload :shock:

I just checked and I was surprised to find I actually own a SHA copy without the Trident logo. It doesn't have the same inner sleeve as on your photo's though, mine's blank.

The Prophet
Spread Your Wings

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 pm

The Prophet wrote:Wow, thanks for the information overload :shock:

I just checked and I was surprised to find I actually own a SHA copy without the Trident logo. It doesn't have the same inner sleeve as on your photo's though, mine's blank.

Yeah I know, I must admit i spent hours working on the matrix info. in particular!

Well there will be thousands of that sleeve without the Trident logo, but it is definitely the first version. Some SHA LP's just came without the inner sleeve with the lyrics, and just had a blank white bag, although the vast majority did have those lyric inners in the approx years I've mentioned, but there will always be exceptions.

Sometimes they just had an old inner, or old LP in the then current sleeve, or if you bought it second-hand, sometimes the sellers have swapped over inners/LP's etc.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:02 am

Kes wrote:I'll just add a little extra explanation, just in case it wasn't clear, that EMI UK would add the letter "U" into the matrix number of any cut not made at an EMI cutting facility, ie EMI Manufacturing at Hayes or Abbey Road.

Jimbo knows this already, as I've discussed it with him.

Re: The slashes, I always thought it was meant to be "held in place" broken glass, like a broken picture frame pane.

Thanks Kes, yeah I've missed out quite a lot of info like that, it was difficult to remember everything in one post, everything that you've told me, and everything I've read etc there is lot to recall.

I havn't even really discussed the basic positioning of all the matrix details in the runout groove really. So for anyone that doesn't know (I know Kes and some others know this), if you look at the runout grooves and have the basic matrix at the 6 o'clock position (with the actual record label being like at the centre of a clock face), so for this example on A-side it would be "YAX 4881-1U" at 6 o'clock as you look at it.

As I said this "YAX4881-1U" is known as the main matrix detail, this part identifies the lacquer/master/cut whatever you are going to call it that is used to produce the '"mother" plate that is used to produce the actual "stamper" plate that manufactures the vinyl LP's.

If you look at about 9 o'clock there will be a very small number, for SHA it will actually be a 1,2,3 or 4. This number indicates the "mother" used to produce the stamper.

If you look at about 3 o'clock you will see a series of letters, for SHA it will be 1,2 or 3 letters and they will always be one of GRAMOPHLTD, this is a code corresponding to 1234567890. So for the example I gave earlier of "OT" that is "59" if that makes sense? "G" would be "1", the very first stamper used. "GR" would be "12", and "AHD" would be "370" the 370th stamper used etc

Each stamper would produce about somewhere between 300-1000 LP's depending on the quality as it goes along in the manufacturing process. Quality control was apparently very good at EMI, they would check the quality regularly, and if not good enough replace the stamper if needed. Apparently 500 was often the quantity produced per stamper, but as I said it did vary.

Also as I mentioned earlier you will also see in the runout groove for most of the SHA LP's "TML-S" which tells you that the lacquer/matrix was cut at "The Mastering Lab" on the "S" lathe, although the 4U was cut on the "M" lathe. Reading about it, the "M" lathe was supposed to be the best, which makes absolute sense looking at SHA as an example, because the 4U lacquers effectively produced more LP's than all the others put together!

Anyway back to the stamper details. With some LP's, and Sheer Heart Attack is an example of this, the stampers are numbered in order of manufacture, it doesn't matter what lacquer/matrix was used. This isn't the case with all albums though, in fact many are zeroed when a new lacquer/matrix is used, making it much more difficult to track the stamper numbers etc. So in a way SHA is easier to work out, although the whole thing with 4U being used first for the B-side really did throw me at first :shock:

Re: The slashes, I think you are right, looking at it again, I think it is supposed to be broken glass. I always thought it was a slashed photo, but clearly supposed to be broken glass, there I've learnt that today, always new things to learn :-D

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:23 am

Of the six copies I have at hand. Just to add to your research about mix of A and B plates.

A - TML-S 6U; B - 7 Abbey Road (Cream label)
A - TML-M 4U; B - 4U (No Trident mark on sleeve)
A - TML-M 4U; B - 4U
A - TML-S 6U; B - 3U
A - TML-S 3U; B - 4U
A - TML-S 3U; B - 3U

If I ever go into my loft again, I'll try and dig out all my other copies, and see if I have any revelations to add.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:50 am

Kes wrote:Of the six copies I have at hand. Just to add to your research about mix of A and B plates.

A - TML-S 6U; B - 7 Abbey Road (Cream label)
A - TML-M 4U; B - 4U (No Trident mark on sleeve)
A - TML-M 4U; B - 4U
A - TML-S 6U; B - 3U
A - TML-S 3U; B - 4U
A - TML-S 3U; B - 3U

If I ever go into my loft again, I'll try and dig out all my other copies, and see if I have any revelations to add.

Thanks Kes, no surprises there luckily (there are definitely some very early 4U/4U pressings that have the "No Trident" sleeve, but the vast majority are earlier matrixes as explained above), and yeah when in the loft do please dig out any other copies, and please let me know the stamper letters on A and B-sides as that is where it gets really interesting (to me anyway :lol: ).

For example your 3U/3U pressing is definitely rare, and for the B-side I've only ever seen "HH" (77th pressing) and "TD" (90th), so I'm willing to bet your B-side stamper details is one of those 2. Having said that I'm guessing there is likely to be a couple more, but I've only ever seen those 2, and in fact all of my 3U/3U B-side pressings are "HH" except one :shock:

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:56 am

Oh, and I've realised that I havn't discussed the record labels yet. There are only 2 different designs used for the UK SHA EMI LP between 1974 and about 1986.

Up to about 1980 they all have the normal EMI brown/red label, and then after that they all have the cream label. I havn't done any photos of them, but will add them here at some point.

All the cream labels that I've ever seen have the 6U/7 pressing (i.e the last pressing), and vice versa so also all the 6U/7 pressings have the cream label. I've never seen exceptions to this, although I'm guessing a few are bound to exist, where they had some old labels left for example.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 am

On the 3U/3U, it's TD, so no surprises there, I'm afraid.

Seems a bit strange, but if the sound off the various test plates was so important, how come everywhere outside the UK seemed to cut their own plates, ie Germany, etc?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:33 am

Kes wrote:On the 3U/3U, it's TD, so no surprises there, I'm afraid.

Seems a bit strange, but if the sound off the various test plates was so important, how come everywhere outside the UK seemed to cut their own plates, ie Germany, etc?

Thanks, no surprises, but I am beginning to worry how much I know about this now :lol:

It does show again though how rare that 3U/3U pressing is, I'd say less than about 2000 in total, from the pressing details I currently have. And again this is the 90th B-side pressing, so a long way from the 1st pressing which is definitely a 3U/4U. In fact of those early 3U/4U pressings, I have in my collection a G/G, G/R and R/R, those are definitely the earliest :)

As for those plates, yes some countries did cut their own, but many countries did actually use The Mastering Lab plates, in fact I'm going to be listing which countries did later this week, when I've checked them!

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Next

Return to Killer Queen