SHEER HEART ATTACK LP (vinyl collectors guide)

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: SHEER HEART ATTACK LP (vinyl collectors guide)

Postby jimbo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 am

Also I realised that I havn't actually discussed the different types of UK outer sleeves in much detail. There are hardly any differences, but anyway here goes (and I've now included the usual inner sleeves and matrixes as well):-

1st version: November/early December 1974. Laminated sleeve, NO "Trident" symbol on bottom right-hand corner of Back cover. This is the rarest outer sleeve version, but is only quite rare.
Usual inner sleeve Version 1(crest actually very bottom right corner), but also Version 2 (usually with variation of no bottom corners cut/crest mid right).
Usual Matrixes: 3U/4U, 3U/1U, 4U/1U, 3U/3U
(But if you are looking for a very first UK pressing of SHA you need: No "Trident" outer sleeve, inner sleeve with crest very bottom right corner and matrix 3U/4U ideally with single letter stamper details (see page1) :) )

2nd Version: About December 1974-1979. Laminated sleeve, with "Trident" symbol on bottom right-hand corner of Back cover. This is by far the most common outer sleeve version.
Usual inner sleeves Version 2 (usually with variations 1 and 2 bottom corners cut/crest mid right), Version 3(rounded corners/crest mid right) and Version 4 (rounded corners/c1975))
Usual Matrixes: 3U/4U, 4U/3U, 4U/4U, 4U/5U, 5U/3U, 6U/3U.

3rd Version: About 1979-1982. NON-Laminated sleeve, with "Trident" symbol on bottom right-hand corner of Back cover. So it is exactly the same as the second version, only it is NON-Laminated. But some of these will have Blue or Black "Price Attack" stickers on the front of sleeve.
Usual inner sleeve Version 4 (rounded corners/c1975), Version 5 (Square corners)
Usual Matrixes: 5U/3U, 6U/3U, 6U/5U, 6U/7.

4th Version: About 1983-1986. NON-Laminated sleeve, with "Trident" symbol on bottom right-hand corner of Back cover, also saying "Sleeve Printed in England Manufactured in England" underneath the "Trident" symbol. There is a Barcode on the Back cover. This is also only quite rare to find (None of the 4 outer sleeve versions are that difficult to find in the UK really). This version could be found in shops until early 1990's probably if it didn't sell through, but was the last UK EMI SHA LP pressing made.
Usual inner sleeve Version 5 (square corners).
Usual Matrix: 6U/7.

So doesn't really need any photos to explain the outer sleeves, but there are a couple on the first page of this thread, showing detail of "Trident" symbols.

Oh, and as a reminder the 6U/7 matrixes exclusively have the EMI cream record labels. All the other earlier matrix versions have the EMI Red/Brown labels.

ALL versions of the UK sleeve from 1974 to about 1986 have "Sheer Heart Attack" on side spine of sleeve, and also across the top of the edge of LP as well.
You cannot tell how old the sleeve is from the colours used on the sleeve, some may have faded for example. Yes there are some later ones that are very red, but also some later ones that are more orangey in colour, so the colour really is irrelevant, the criteria to look at are: laminated, "Trident" symbol and barcode.
And well over 99% originally came with one of the inner sleeves mentioned earlier, it's much much rarer to find one without a lyric inner sleeve actually!

Lastly need to remember vinyl LP's can get swapped out of their original inner and/or outer sleeves by accident (during manufacture) or on purpose (by second-hand record dealers for example), so there are always some exceptions to the above when looking at Queen SHA EMI UK LP's from 1974 to about 1986.
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Technically, the last issue of Sheer Heart Attack on vinyl in the UK, was a Parlophone one, a couple of years before the band left EMI for UMG.

As these probably weren't actually pressed in the UK, I'll let you have it though. ;-)

As an aside, I always have a chuckle at those Japanese mini-vinyl recreations, as none of those first albums were ever on EMI in Japan, well, not until the band signed to EMI in that territory in the eighties, anyway, so they HAVE to recreate the UK editions, lol. Something the UK couldn't be f*cked to do themselves.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Walter B. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Here's another one for you. A German reissue from the 80's I guess?
Attachments
rsz_1102_2.jpg
rsz_2102_1.jpg

Walter B.
Spread Your Wings

Postby jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Kes wrote:Technically, the last issue of Sheer Heart Attack on vinyl in the UK, was a Parlophone one, a couple of years before the band left EMI for UMG.

As these probably weren't actually pressed in the UK, I'll let you have it though. ;-)

As an aside, I always have a chuckle at those Japanese mini-vinyl recreations, as none of those first albums were ever on EMI in Japan, well, not until the band signed to EMI in that territory in the eighties, anyway, so they HAVE to recreate the UK editions, lol. Something the UK couldn't be f*cked to do themselves.

Haha yeah I forgot about the 2009 Parlophone EMI LP :shock:

I agree about those Japanese mini-LP CD's being amusing, but as you say at least they have released them in this great looking format, in fact 4 times now, 1998, 2004, 2008 and 2014. Although the 1998 ones only go up to The Game, and as of right now the 2014 ones also seemed to have stopped at The Game :shock:

Does anyone know if the other 2014 versions (Flash-MIH) ones are going to be released soon or ever? I've been buying the boxed versions, and they look great, but hope they complete the releases in this format.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Walter B. wrote:Here's another one for you. A German reissue from the 80's I guess?

Thanks. The infamous German "Black label" version :shock: :twisted:

:lol: I think that's the standard 80's version though maybe?

There are so many versions. I'm concentrating on getting at least one version from each country anyway, and like I said I have 5 more to find. One being the India version, anyone out there from India? Or maybe Guatatmala then who wants to send me one to help me complete my collection? :lol:

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Walter B. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:05 pm

jimbo wrote:
Walter B. wrote:Here's another one for you. A German reissue from the 80's I guess?

Why do you call this version infamous? Is there a story behind this? I am really curious now...

Walter B.
Spread Your Wings

Postby jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Walter B. wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Why do you call this version infamous? Is there a story behind this? I am really curious now...

Sorry Walter, I'm just joking about it being infamous, I'm sure my sense of humour doesn't usually come across too well on here a lot of the time. I think that is just a standard black label version from the mid eighties by the looks of it.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Walter B. » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 pm

My mistake then...I don't think it's your sense of humour. It must have been me, being unaware of it...The smileys should have given me a clue...

Were those black label versions released in Germany only?

Walter B.
Spread Your Wings

Postby jimbo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Walter B. wrote:My mistake then...I don't think it's your sense of humour. It must have been me, being unaware of it...The smileys should have given me a clue...

Were those black label versions released in Germany only?

Well without the smileys I'd find it difficult to post on here.

I don't really know about those black label versions only being released in Germany, but I'm sure I've seen them in other European countries at least. I'd say they are quite rare, but you do definitely see them around.

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 pm

jimbo wrote:
Kes wrote:Apparently, it was also issued in France on Red vinyl.

I don't think I know anyone who's ever seen either of them.

I don't think I know anyone that has actually seen one either, but the Japan Red Vinyl Promo LP does exist (according to popsike), but it's just that it might be a fake. As I've never seen one to check it out, or know anyone that's seen one, it is difficult to confirm whether the few ever sold on auctions over the years are genuine or fake?

As for that French Red vinyl SHA, who knows? Don't think there is even a photo of that one, is there? So I'd say that one is genuinely mythical, but you never know :shock:

Edit:-
Just had a look again at Popsike, and the 3 Japan Red vinyl SHA LP promos were all sold by one seller a couple of years ago, who didn't even know himself if they were genuine :shock: In fact when selling the last one of the three, he said it wasn't a genuine original I've just noticed :?
It does sort of look like it might be original though, for example the tracks banding looks correct (as much as you can tell from one photo anway), but the runout groove is much narrower than the normal Black vinyl Japan promo LP (which is genuine), so it could be a different cut, but that is strange in itself.
Also why have no more sold apart from that one seller? Why are there so few if they are fake? Why did one seller have 3 copies? Why were they on red vinyl anyway if genuine? So many questions, so few answers :lol:

Had another look, this time detailed, on Popsike. And 3 more of those Red vinyl SHA Japan LP's have been sold from Italy. They are admitting that they are fake basically. So it looks like all those from Italy are indeed fake.

So there so far isn't any photographic proof of the official Red Vinyl SHA LP from Japan or France. Looks like both are mythical until someone shows us all a photo :shock:

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 pm

I have heard that people in EMI used to occasionally run off coloured vinyls for themselves at the end of pressing runs, so I guess that's possible anywhere there's a pressing plant.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Kes wrote:I have heard that people in EMI used to occasionally run off coloured vinyls for themselves at the end of pressing runs, so I guess that's possible anywhere there's a pressing plant.

And that's probably what happened with the Japan Red Vinyl as I've read that Roger has it? And why we've never seen it as it is maybe the only one?

Could explain the French Red vinyl of SHA as well, in terms of there maybe being only one that we have never seen?

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 am

jimbo wrote:
Kes wrote:Technically, the last issue of Sheer Heart Attack on vinyl in the UK, was a Parlophone one, a couple of years before the band left EMI for UMG.

Haha yeah I forgot about the 2009 Parlophone EMI LP :shock:

I agree about those Japanese mini-LP CD's being amusing, but as you say at least they have released them in this great looking format, in fact 4 times now, 1998, 2004, 2008 and 2014. Although the 1998 ones only go up to The Game, and as of right now the 2014 ones also seemed to have stopped at The Game :shock:

Does anyone know if the other 2014 versions (Flash-MIH) ones are going to be released soon or ever? I've been buying the boxed versions, and they look great, but hope they complete the releases in this format.

So does anybody know if those 2014 Japanese mini-LP CD's will stop at The Game? Which they seem to have, or go on until MIH?

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Dunno Jimbo. I've got the Toshiba ones coming out of my ears.

The first eight with the black OBI strips, then the next set with the silver ones, and then a load more that came out later than that with multi-coloured edge strips on them.

The Japanese did the Island remasters, and then started doing them on SHMCD, and I think SACD as well. It's bloody hard to keep track, and even harder to keep bloody buying the things. BTW. I love the sound off the SHMCDs, but can't keep justifying paying out over and over again for the same albums. Even I have draw the line somewhere, especially with "new" product coming out.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Kes wrote:Dunno Jimbo. I've got the Toshiba ones coming out of my ears.

The first eight with the black OBI strips, then the next set with the silver ones, and then a load more that came out later than that with multi-coloured edge strips on them.

The Japanese did the Island remasters, and then started doing them on SHMCD, and I think SACD as well. It's bloody hard to keep track, and even harder to keep bloody buying the things. BTW. I love the sound off the SHMCDs, but can't keep justifying paying out over and over again for the same albums. Even I have draw the line somewhere, especially with "new" product coming out.

Thanks, I guess I will have to wait to find out if these 2014 Japan miniLP CD's are going to stop at The Game, will be annoying if they do though!

As I said I bought the 1998 (black obi's), 2004 (silver obi's) and 2008 ones (multi coloured obi's), but didn't buy any of those 2011 SHMCD's as I'd just bought the 2011 UK CD's and didn't think they'd sound that different.

I didn't buy the 2012 SACD's as again they are from the same 2011 master so don't think they'd sound that different, and they were very expensive and only SACD stereo not 5.1 etc.

So I was happy to see these Japanese 2014 editions, but looks like they may stop at The Game, ridiculous if they do though as the 2011 (SHMCD's) and 2012 (SACD's) series both went through until MIH, and thought the 2014 versions would as well that's why I started buying them, typical :?

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen