In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Innuendoes »

Icy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:03 pm
Cool Cat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:42 pm I keep hearing about shelves being emptied of toilet rolls, hand santizers, antibacterial soap etc, i went into Aldi today, their shelves were full of all 3, but Asda, Morrisons and Tesco were empty :?
Wow, I thought that was just happening in North America :shock:
Big problem and it's snowballing because people are off work due to employers being afraid to have their factories, etc, open. Then people who work for a living can't go to work, suddenly losing their incomes and everything is going downhill and to hell in a hand basket, fast. Thank you, media, all of you! :x

Innuendoes
Location: Uh-Oh, You're In Trouble, Something's Come Along And It's Burst Your Bubble

Post by Innuendoes »

Kes wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 pm There's a logical part of me saying the more pockets you get where the virus hasn't ravaged through it, the longer it's going to go on. Problem is, that it's probably going to wipe out a lot of elderly people, and people who already have health problems out, on it's way. You can be carrying and transmitting this shit, a week before you know you've got it.

Then there's another part of me that thinks I might be in that higher risk group ie age, and health status, so I'm trying to avoid it as best as possible.

For the majority of the population though, I think you're probably best getting it out of the way, buying a few toilet rolls, and isolating yourself for a fortnight.
I know I'm in the high risk group. And I am scared. I am not ready to die just yet. You take care of yourself, ya hear?

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Panic buying of toilet roll started in Australia.

What I saw of the media reaction was largely "look at these idiots", not "YOU'RE MISSING OUT!!!!! BUY MORE TRIPLE PLY!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!", although I don't have any proof of this.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Innuendoes wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm
Kes wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 pm There's a logical part of me saying the more pockets you get where the virus hasn't ravaged through it, the longer it's going to go on. Problem is, that it's probably going to wipe out a lot of elderly people, and people who already have health problems out, on it's way. You can be carrying and transmitting this shit, a week before you know you've got it.

Then there's another part of me that thinks I might be in that higher risk group ie age, and health status, so I'm trying to avoid it as best as possible.

For the majority of the population though, I think you're probably best getting it out of the way, buying a few toilet rolls, and isolating yourself for a fortnight.
I know I'm in the high risk group. And I am scared. I am not ready to die just yet. You take care of yourself, ya hear?
You all take care of yourselves. This is truly frightening.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Generic username wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 am Panic buying of toilet roll started in Australia.

What I saw of the media reaction was largely "look at these idiots", not "YOU'RE MISSING OUT!!!!! BUY MORE TRIPLE PLY!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!", although I don't have any proof of this.
Here, there are reports of how bare the shelves are. Well that was yesterday, today the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife are self isolating as his wife has been tested for it. Schools in Ontario are going to be closed for two weeks. Events of more than 250 people have been cancelled and outright banned except for schools, churches etc, and that could change in Alberta, where I am ( and two other provinces ).

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

WOW, one of my pharmacys (I use 2 for certain reasons) is really bending over backwards to help everyone. I just got this email. They sell all kinds of things besides medicine including loads of brands of name brand makeup, perfume, food like crackers, cereal, canned meats, even some frozen foods I think. This is great!

March 12, 2020

Dear Walgreens Customers,

We know there is growing concern as the outbreak and impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve. Ensuring the health, safety and well-being of the communities we serve across the U.S. has always been a top priority, and is especially critical at this time.

Most importantly, we want you to know, we're prepared to take care of you and your loved ones on your terms. We're working around the clock to monitor the situation, while partnering with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other state and local health officials on response efforts, as well as to provide you with the most up-to-date information. Here are more ways we're supporting our valued customers in our pharmacies and online:

As always, Walgreens pharmacy teams are here for you to address any questions or concerns related to your prescription drug needs -- in your neighborhood store, over the phone and 24/7 online through our Pharmacy Chat. Picking up prescriptions is as convenient as a drive-thru trip, or you can have them delivered to your home next day. At this time, Walgreens is also waiving delivery fees for all eligible prescriptions, beginning Friday, March 13th.

To ensure you have access to the medications you need, our pharmacists are also continuing to partner with various health plans, physicians and state officials, and can speak to you about options like 90-day refills, early refill authorizations and prescription delivery.

As a reminder, Walgreens Find Care on our mobile app can connect you to a wide selection of health care services from local providers, as well as various telehealth options and services.

In our stores, teams are working diligently to take precautions and steps to ensure a clean and safe environment. We're making every effort to make the products you need available, and while we may experience temporary shortages of certain items in some locations, we're continuing to work closely with our supplier partners to meet customers' needs. Due to extremely high demand, we are taking additional steps to best manage our inventory so that the essentials you're looking for can be more widely available.

Our website (www.walgreens.com) also updates with the latest available store inventory information frequently throughout each day. And to make online shopping even easier, also beginning this Friday and for the time being, we'll be offering free delivery on any purchase on Walgreens.com, with no minimum purchase required.

As an additional resource for information, prevention and the latest guidance from the CDC, we've also launched a dedicated webpage at: https://www.walgreens.com/coronavirus.

Our Walgreens pharmacists and team members are people you know and trust who live right in your communities. Our employees' health and safety are also of the utmost concern. Our clinical and safety teams are keeping our team members up-to-date with the latest information from public health officials and the CDC. We are also encouraging team members to stay at home if they are sick or showing signs or symptoms of possible illness and asking them to limit travel.

We remain committed to you, and to doing our part as an organization to champion the health and wellbeing of every community in America.

Sincerely,

Richard Ashworth
President, Walgreens

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Wow, that's amazing. Walmart and Safeway should do the same.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I’d like to reserve an ECMO machine please. Thanks.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

It goes without saying that I don’t like Boris Johnson.

However.

I think he’s getting this absolutely spot on.

Considering everything, being guided by scientific evidence, not jumping in too quickly but also not pretending it isn’t happening.

The USA is getting this spectacularly wrong. Ireland and other European countries have probably reacted a bit too aggressively, too quickly.

For a change, I’m feeling proud to be British.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I have a feeling the Premier League will call off games today considering several players and/or managers have tested positive.

Don't play games behind closed doors. People will go to pubs to watch where it is warm and humid. An environment in which viruses thrive.