In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Black Wings

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Black Wings »

lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:17 pm Brian May originally posted that on Instagram and deleted it when all the replies were telling him how wrong he is.

I assumed he’d seen sense. Sadly he’s re-posted it in a place where there’s no replies.

I even replied on the Gram with the badger analogy.
Where has he reposted it? I think a person can turn off comments on instagram in the settings.

User avatar
WeeMann
Moderator
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by WeeMann »

lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:23 pm
WeeMann wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm
lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 pm
It’s a little bit of a gamble though, and it’s very difficult to sell politically.

But it’s better than what the rest of Europe is doing. They’ve gone into lockdown which will get the epidemic under control nice and quickly, but as soon as they lift the restrictions it will re-emerge.
It may be a difficult sell politically, but that suggests it's the right thing to do - how many governments would simply panic and think only of the next election? Whether you agree with their policies or not generally, I do think they're being sensible here following the advice of people who know what they're talking about rather than pander to a populace who think toilet rolls will save them.
I’ve been pretty clear right from the start that I agree with their stance. I said so before it became cool to do so (see page 17).
I'm not disagreeing with you.

Black Wings

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Black Wings »

Schools, daycares are going to be closed in Alberta.

FCB101
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by FCB101 »

WeeMann wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm
lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:23 pm
WeeMann wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

It may be a difficult sell politically, but that suggests it's the right thing to do - how many governments would simply panic and think only of the next election? Whether you agree with their policies or not generally, I do think they're being sensible here following the advice of people who know what they're talking about rather than pander to a populace who think toilet rolls will save them.
I’ve been pretty clear right from the start that I agree with their stance. I said so before it became cool to do so (see page 17).
I'm not disagreeing with you.
And will you still agree with that policy when your health system crashes and 1000's of people die?

User avatar
Elessar
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Elessar »

The alternative will also see it collapse, but even more so and with more deaths.

Although I agree with the policy, I bet Dominic Cummings is having wet dreams about being able to control the population like this.

FCB101
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by FCB101 »

lsr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 am The alternative will also see it collapse, but even more so and with more deaths.

Although I agree with the policy, I bet Dominic Cummings is having wet dreams about being able to control the population like this.
You're wrong.
You have to flatten the curve.
What you are doing now in the UK is making sure there will be a terrible peak of cases, one which your hospitals can't handle.

And then you get the Italian scenario where there's not even the possibility to give everyone the medical attention they need, resulting in deaths and funerals without family attending, just because there are TOO MANY people dying.

The only way to fight this is the Asian way, like the Chinese did and like Singapore and Japan do. Sadly, the Western world doesn't seem clever enough to understand this.

User avatar
Elessar
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Elessar »

FCB101 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 am
lsr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 am The alternative will also see it collapse, but even more so and with more deaths.

Although I agree with the policy, I bet Dominic Cummings is having wet dreams about being able to control the population like this.
You're wrong.
You have to flatten the curve.
What you are doing now in the UK is making sure there will be a terrible peak of cases, one which your hospitals can't handle.

And then you get the Italian scenario where there's not even the possibility to give everyone the medical attention they need, resulting in deaths and funerals without family attending, just because there are TOO MANY people dying.

The only way to fight this is the Asian way, like the Chinese did and like Singapore and Japan do. Sadly, the Western world doesn't seem clever enough to understand this.
Nope. The UK strategy flattens the curve. Other strategies squishes the curve down without increasing the area under the curve, which must stay the same. The result is you get another curve afterwards, possibly unexpectedly.

User avatar
Generic username
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Generic username »

lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 pm

All it takes is one person to transmit it and the epidemic starts again.
.
All it takes is one lockdown long enough and that can't happen.

User avatar
Elessar
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Elessar »

Generic username wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:18 am
lsr wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 pm

All it takes is one person to transmit it and the epidemic starts again.
.
All it takes is one lockdown long enough and that can't happen.
We’re not testing everyone. One person in self isolation who sheds the virus for a bit longer than normal can pass it onto someone else who never had it in the first place on the last day of quarantine and it all kicks off again.

FCB101
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by FCB101 »

lsr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 am
FCB101 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 am
lsr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 am The alternative will also see it collapse, but even more so and with more deaths.

Although I agree with the policy, I bet Dominic Cummings is having wet dreams about being able to control the population like this.
You're wrong.
You have to flatten the curve.
What you are doing now in the UK is making sure there will be a terrible peak of cases, one which your hospitals can't handle.

And then you get the Italian scenario where there's not even the possibility to give everyone the medical attention they need, resulting in deaths and funerals without family attending, just because there are TOO MANY people dying.

The only way to fight this is the Asian way, like the Chinese did and like Singapore and Japan do. Sadly, the Western world doesn't seem clever enough to understand this.
Nope. The UK strategy flattens the curve. Other strategies squishes the curve down without increasing the area under the curve, which must stay the same. The result is you get another curve afterwards, possibly unexpectedly.
Are you aware of what's happening in Italy?

They also had minimal measures for a long time...

And now it's warzone.

Post Reply