In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
User avatar
Kes
Moderator
Posts: 3938
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

The vast majority of people in the UK, are brought up with a moral code that would never allow them to murder anybody.

Unfortunately, some people are brought up with a moral code where murdering somebody, isn't the worst thing they could do, and to them, there is some unearthly way, they can achieve redemption.

User avatar
Innuendoes
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:32 pm
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Innuendoes »

Parents charged with selling 13-year-old daughter into marriage
https://www.wpta21.com/2021/11/19/paren ... -marriage/

User avatar
Innuendoes
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:32 pm
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Innuendoes »

Free for Amazon Prime subscribers.
Rent for $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... o6fUFTAlgo

Partial video.


Forgotten Ellis Island: The Extraordinary Story of America's Immigrant Hospital Paperback – October 1, 2007

Image

Starman
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Starman »

I couldn’t find the thread where someone said electric planes won’t happen

They’ve happened

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-59359263

Long ways to go yet, but we’ve hopefully got millions of years as a species!

Exciting!

User avatar
Leigh Burne
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
Location: England

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Leigh Burne »

I'm still not sold on electric vehicles, mostly because no one seems to be addressing the issue of the batteries being terrible for the environment to both make and dispose of, added to which they only last a few years, certainly less than the average life of a car.

I'm also not convinced anyone has actually thought about all the extra electricity we're going to need to charge all these vehicles if everyone starts getting them, or what people who live in terraced houses with no designated parking space are going to do about plugging their cars in.

User avatar
Lord of all darkness
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 am I'm still not sold on electric vehicles, mostly because no one seems to be addressing the issue of the batteries being terrible for the environment to both make and dispose of, added to which they only last a few years, certainly less than the average life of a car.

I'm also not convinced anyone has actually thought about all the extra electricity we're going to need to charge all these vehicles if everyone starts getting them, or what people who live in terraced houses with no designated parking space are going to do about plugging their cars in.
I took a Tesla for a test drive the other week. Let me first say I was very scared 0-94 kmh in just over 2.5 secs. My objection is the price 60k AUD for entry level model. A change in government next year will change that.

You do know that eventually, with more uptake, they will use more and more renewable energy. Electric cars will only cost about 7 AU dollars to fully charge as a charging station. If you are smart and have solar panels at home, you can charge overnight. As electric cars don't have combustion engines, they don't need to be serviced as much as non electric cars.

Petrol engines will become more and more obsolete as petrol becomes more and more expensive as supplies become more limited. Oil is not a finite resource.

User avatar
Leigh Burne
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
Location: England

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Leigh Burne »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:20 amYou do know that eventually, with more uptake, they will use more and more renewable energy. Electric cars will only cost about 7 AU dollars to fully charge as a charging station. If you are smart and have solar panels at home, you can charge overnight. As electric cars don't have combustion engines, they don't need to be serviced as much as non electric cars.
None of that addresses the issue of people living in inner cities who aren't going to have ready access to a charging point at their home.

User avatar
Lord of all darkness
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Leigh Burne wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 am
Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:20 amYou do know that eventually, with more uptake, they will use more and more renewable energy. Electric cars will only cost about 7 AU dollars to fully charge as a charging station. If you are smart and have solar panels at home, you can charge overnight. As electric cars don't have combustion engines, they don't need to be serviced as much as non electric cars.
None of that addresses the issue of people living in inner cities who aren't going to have ready access to a charging point at their home.
Well, you build it, they will come. Demand will motivate governments to build them. In Australia the tyranny of distance is more of an issue. Even our right wing government recognises this. That is why they pledged to spend millions of dollars. Remember, you can actually charge them at home.

User avatar
Leigh Burne
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 am
Location: England

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Leigh Burne »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 amWell, you build it, they will come. Demand will motivate governments to build them.
You say that, but there are plenty of areas where there are more people than there is space for their cars. Not to mention the fact a lot of public car parks in the UK are too small anyway, if you start losing spaces to install charging stations, parking problems are going to get a hell of a lot worse. And yeah, I've already started seeing the occasional charging points in supermarket car parks, but at some point they're going to have to start ripping up pavements and putting them everywhere, and I really don't feel like the powers that be have thought about that. In fact, I get the distinct impression they've said they'll ban petrol and diesel and go electric to be seen to be doing something about the problem, but haven't actually considered what such a massive change means in real terms.

As usual, I don't understand why more isn't being done with hydrogen fuel cells, because we at least have established, proven infrastructure for that (fuel filling stations) already in place. We don't have to construct a completely new network incorporating technology that's developing so fast anything they install now will be out of date and perhaps even obsolete in a few years. It would also make the transition away from petrol/diesel a hell of a lot easier, because there's no reason stations couldn't sell conventional fuel and hydrogen at the same time, rather than having having problems with forecourts closing as people start going electric and those who haven't switched yet getting screwed. Not to mention you can refuel a hydrogen car in the same amount of time as a conventional one, so it's infinitely more convenient in that respect.

And on the subject of recharge times, it's great for people who can plug in on their driveway overnight, but what about truckers who have to haul cargo hundreds of miles a day and don't have time to spend three hours parked up recharging their lorries?

There's so much more to it than, "Oh, they can just build some plug sockets."

User avatar
Lord of all darkness
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Leigh Burne wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 am
Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 amWell, you build it, they will come. Demand will motivate governments to build them.
You say that, but there are plenty of areas where there are more people than there is space for their cars. Not to mention the fact a lot of public car parks in the UK are too small anyway, if you start losing spaces to install charging stations, parking problems are going to get a hell of a lot worse. And yeah, I've already started seeing the occasional charging points in supermarket car parks, but at some point they're going to have to start ripping up pavements and putting them everywhere, and I really don't feel like the powers that be have thought about that. In fact, I get the distinct impression they've said they'll ban petrol and diesel and go electric to be seen to be doing something about the problem, but haven't actually considered what such a massive change means in real terms.

As usual, I don't understand why more isn't being done with hydrogen fuel cells, because we at least have established, proven infrastructure for that (fuel filling stations) already in place. We don't have to construct a completely new network incorporating technology that's developing so fast anything they install now will be out of date and perhaps even obsolete in a few years. It would also make the transition away from petrol/diesel a hell of a lot easier, because there's no reason stations couldn't sell conventional fuel and hydrogen at the same time, rather than having having problems with forecourts closing as people start going electric and those who haven't switched yet getting screwed. Not to mention you can refuel a hydrogen car in the same amount of time as a conventional one, so it's infinitely more convenient in that respect.

And on the subject of recharge times, it's great for people who can plug in on their driveway overnight, but what about truckers who have to haul cargo hundreds of miles a day and don't have time to spend three hours parked up recharging their lorries?

There's so much more to it than, "Oh, they can just build some plug sockets."
I am of course talking of future state. As you say what we think of today may be out of date in the years to come. That means that they may improve technology so that to recharge a semi-trailer truck could be done overnight and have the capacity of thousands of miles between full charges.

I admit that I don't know too much about hydrogen technology. Again, build it and they will come. The market will decide. If car makers decide hydrogen is the way, then they will build them. It will end up as another VHS - Betamax choice. I suppose you don't want to be the person that has the wrong one and not been able to get support. Only time will tell who is wrong and right.

If you do wanna have a bit of thrill, go and book a Tesla test drive. The acceleration is fecking scary. Think of a jet plane taking off, you will experience the same thrill.

Post Reply