In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
WeeMann

Re: In The News Today...

Post by WeeMann »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 amRemember, you can actually charge them at home.
This is the point Leigh is making - if you live on a terraced street and are unable to park outside your home, you have no chance. Added to this is the issue of cables trailing across the pavement.

If you live in a block of flats, forget it.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I can't speak for other countries, but the UK simply doesn't have the infrastructure anywhere near sorted for a 2030 changeover.

Guy Martin produced a great show recently where he attempted to make the fastest electric car. He failed in the record attempt but a couple of important points came out of it.

Power and speed are not an issue - the manufacturers have sorted that. Range is still an issue (although improving) but charging points are way behind. He tried a 24 hour round trip from Yorkshire to Jon O'Groats and back. He couldn't make it in the time. Of the 10 charging points he visited, half were not working. One of the ultra fast points was charging at the normal slow rate (something like 6 hours instead of 20 minutes).

Kes

Post by Kes »

I think when they come up with a feasible induction charging system, that might be a game changer.

Not having to fuse yourself to the national grid, plugging your car in, during a thunderstorm.

A little mat you can throw under your car (or drive over), and run a hook up out, like you power a campervan up with.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:38 am
Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 amRemember, you can actually charge them at home.
This is the point Leigh is making - if you live on a terraced street and are unable to park outside your home, you have no chance. Added to this is the issue of cables trailing across the pavement.

In apartment blocks in the centre of Melbourne they putting in the infrastructure so that you can charge them. However, I can see how that this would not be feasible in the UK. But who knows what they will come up with in the future to cope with this.

Lord of all darkness

WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 am I can't speak for other countries, but the UK simply doesn't have the infrastructure anywhere near sorted for a 2030 changeover.

Guy Martin produced a great show recently where he attempted to make the fastest electric car. He failed in the record attempt but a couple of important points came out of it.

Power and speed are not an issue - the manufacturers have sorted that. Range is still an issue (although improving) but charging points are way behind. He tried a 24 hour round trip from Yorkshire to Jon O'Groats and back. He couldn't make it in the time. Of the 10 charging points he visited, half were not working. One of the ultra fast points was charging at the normal slow rate (something like 6 hours instead of 20 minutes).
Range is a lot better than when the old Top Gear team did a road test on an electric car. Most of the latest electric cars have ranges between 450 to 550 kilometers (apologies, i'm too lazy to convert to miles).

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Starman

Post by Starman »

WeeMann wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:38 am

I live in a block of flats with no parking space.

I didn’t forget it, and got a PHEV. Stats so far show I use the battery for 70% of my mileage.

A lot of the time this means charging up in very expensive premium spaces. I did the maths and it doesn’t save me any money compared to petrol, but doesn’t cost any extra either. And sometimes I can charge for less than half that price.

You just have to want to do it. The other obstacles are just excuses. And that’s fine.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:20 am I took a Tesla for a test drive the other week. Let me first say I was very scared 0-94 kmh in just over 2.5 secs. My objection is the price 60k AUD for entry level model. A change in government next year will change that.

You do know that eventually, with more uptake, they will use more and more renewable energy. Electric cars will only cost about 7 AU dollars to fully charge as a charging station. If you are smart and have solar panels at home, you can charge overnight. As electric cars don't have combustion engines, they don't need to be serviced as much as non electric cars.

Petrol engines will become more and more obsolete as petrol becomes more and more expensive as supplies become more limited. Oil is not a finite resource.
I suspect that the last few people who love the purr of their ICE will essentially have to die out rather than change. In 50 years time, the kids will be amazed that people ever preferred the idea of petrol to electricity.

The same is also true of the idea of breeding, rearing and killing an animal for your meat. I don’t think plant-based options are the complete solution, I think eventually lab-grown meat will scale up and become cheaper, tastier and safer (no antibiotics or new viruses) than farmed meat. And at that point the ethical arguments will be irrelevant, because there’ll be absolutely no rational reason to prefer traditional meat. There’ll be a few Neanderthals who only enjoy meat when they’re ripping the flesh off a bone with their teeth (although this could probably be replicated artificially as well), but again, they’ll die out eventually.

Lord of all darkness

Now we have Omicron as the latest Covid variant. Personally, we don't know enough about it yet to start to panic.

Do we think that eventually there will be a variant that could wipe out most of humanity? Personally, yes i do.

Kes

Post by Kes »

If not Covid, then something else nasty, that's equally transmissible.