In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
fairydandy

Re: In The News Today...

Post by fairydandy »

Kes wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm
I suppose once you've had it, and not died, you get a bit more knowledge of it, and how not to catch it, becomes significantly less important.
I haven't died of it yet. There is still time, I suppose, but I have zero concern about it, that's pretty much the same attitude that I had before I got it.

I did everything right by the way, the social distancing, the relentless handwashing, wiping down surfaces etc...but it just didn't bother me if I ever got it. I work with many hundreds of people though, so statistically I was always at risk.

action

Post by action »

fairydandy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
I tested positive almost four weeks ago by the way. I was lucky in that it didn't affect me too much. A tickly cough, nausea, constant headaches, loss of sense of smell, then after ten days, I had mild breathing difficulties. My first day back to 100% fitness hasn't happened yet, as I now have fatigue that drags me back some days and I still struggle at the top of the stairs with mild breathlessness (that wasn't there before)...essentially though, I am almost over it and I feel generally fine.

I still don't care what others do though! If they want to go on the beach, good for them. :-)
you're the biggest critic of lockdown measures on here.

you just got lucky that your symptoms aren't worse. You could have died.

I don't care about others either, I only care about my loved ones. if lockdown measures help to keep them safe, then I'm all for them.

as for people like you, fd, you do what you want, you can go to the beach. But please don't advocate for lifting lockdown measures, which will affect everyone.

I think you're very egoistical here, and a diva when you're put before a mirror.

this epidemy doesn't revolve around you.

hope you get well.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Much as though the USA has the biggest total deaths from this, and the UK has the biggest total in Europe, when you see the deaths per million in various country's totals, the USA are below the UK, and the UK is about fifth in the table.

Belgium's first in that list, so keep yourself safe action. It's still not over yet.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

action wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:57 am
fairydandy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
I tested positive almost four weeks ago by the way. I was lucky in that it didn't affect me too much. A tickly cough, nausea, constant headaches, loss of sense of smell, then after ten days, I had mild breathing difficulties. My first day back to 100% fitness hasn't happened yet, as I now have fatigue that drags me back some days and I still struggle at the top of the stairs with mild breathlessness (that wasn't there before)...essentially though, I am almost over it and I feel generally fine.

I still don't care what others do though! If they want to go on the beach, good for them. :-)
you're the biggest critic of lockdown measures on here.

you just got lucky that your symptoms aren't worse. You could have died.

I don't care about others either, I only care about my loved ones. if lockdown measures help to keep them safe, then I'm all for them.

as for people like you, fd, you do what you want, you can go to the beach. But please don't advocate for lifting lockdown measures, which will affect everyone.

I think you're very egoistical here, and a diva when you're put before a mirror.

this epidemy doesn't revolve around you.

hope you get well.
I abided by the lockdown. I could have died. I do care about others. I never go to the beach. I can give my opinion that the lockdown should end. I'm not being egotistical, just giving my perspective, as we all are.

I am currently well, thanks.

fairydandy

Post by fairydandy »

What has happened on this message board? Why can't a person give their perspective or opinion on matters, without someone saying you are narrow minded or egotistical?

I can't give your opinion or perspective, I can only give mine. I refuse to add 'in my opinion' to every thing I say, because it is blindingly obvious that it is my opinion and perspective, not yours. I understand that other opinions exist, it goes without saying. It's your place to give your opinion.

Basically you can all fuck off...because I won't be toeing your line on this.

lsr

Post by lsr »

The only way lockdown can save lives - and by that I mean people don’t die of covid when otherwise they would have - is if it goes on until an effective vaccine can be mass produced. Anything less than that is simply spreading out the cases. That relieves pressure on healthcare and avoids deaths owing to rationing of resources - which HASN’T happened so far - but it doesn’t stop people dying of covid.

If we accept that we can’t stay in lockdown for a year or more, we have to relax the restrictions at some point. Now is probably a good time to do so, whilst accepting they may return in the autumn.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I guess some people see it as a race between holding off on the casualties, against the development of a vaccine. We have no guarantees that they're going to find a vaccine though, so it's catch 22.

Another hope is that it is going to fizzle out, but there's too many people on this planet, for that to happen easily.

As regards people having the right to their own opinion, fucking absolutely. Having your own mind is the whole point of existing.

Because there is no single viewpoint on something like this, it's human for people to challenge what THEY feel is wrong or right, and hopefully that breeds discussion that we can all learn something from.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Back in mid February, I was getting on a bus, and some twat sneezed without even making an effort to put his hand over his mouth. This huge cloud, visible in the bus's overhead lights spread down the bus, and that's what you're dealing with, the people who just don't seem to give a shit, as long as they're alright, fuck everyone else.

Might only be a very small percentage of people like that, but that's all this virus seems to need.

action

Post by action »

fairydandy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 am
I abided by the lockdown. I could have died. I do care about others. I never go to the beach. I can give my opinion that the lockdown should end. I'm not being egotistical, just giving my perspective, as we all are.

I am currently well, thanks.
I'm pleased to hear you abided by the rules, because since you are a carrier of the virus, you could have infected others, should you have violated the rules.

Also, thanks to lockdown, you didn't infect others.

This may seem cold, but it is the reality we live in.

I don't like lockdown, much as you do, but it saves lives.

there really is no point in criticising lockdown, it is thoroughly inconsiderate. removing lockdown is putting a whole society at risk.

Is that a price, you are willing to pay for your opinion?

action

Post by action »

our ancestors fought in the trenches, battling the germans. they didnt hesitate to volunteer, even if it meant certain death. they fought for their loved ones, and for their country

these days, you couldn't ask people to stop partying and traveling without them invoking human rights.

our ancestors are spinning around in their graves. they must be asking themselves; those are the slack-jawd yokels we let our limbs and faces blow off for?