In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:27 pm
Kes wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:52 pm Not just population, but population density too, both are a major factor with Covid.. The number of people per square mile across England, times by the number of ways to get the virus in amongst us.

32 people per sq km agauinst 3 in Oz. Hardly surprising really. Johnson hasn't got it right, but he hasn't got it that wrong, either.
Population density is not the reason we got it under control as Australia is a continent that for the most part is desert and bush. In June we started seeing cases increase. In Melbourne (where density would be very much higher than 3). We mucked about with ring fencing some postcodes. This didn't stop the spread. We didn't get things under control until we implemented a full lockdown. We got the numbers low, so we can keep them low. After 60 days of zero cases, thanks to the virus getting out of hotel quarantine in Sydney, we are seeing another outbreak. The last 3 days we have had 3 cases each day. We are able to link them to a restaurant where a traveler from Sydney infected other diners. Our contact tracers are now able to link cases and are issuing stay at home orders to primary and secondary contacts of positive cases.

One thing he has been wrong about which he has now corrected. Schools can be a breeding ground for the virus. The kids themselves may not get sick, but they can spread the virus. 2 of our biggest clusters came from schools. In general, we have to give world leaders (except Trump) a tick as this is an unprecedented event and we are learning as we go along.
This is going to be a problem for a long time. So far, Australia and New Zealand have got it right. When you see the info Boris initially got from "experts" he was f*cked from the outset, and it's been firefighting since. Still, things are what they are, and we aren't at the end of the road yet. With different strains, the principles are changing as we're trying to deal with them.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Here's a thought.

As vaccines are introduced and get taken up, the vulnerable will start to become anyone who hasn't been vaccinated. Those who have been done, will open out, start going places they haven't been for a year, and then anywhere that hasn't had a problem with Covid or its variants so far, might start seeing outbreaks, or be having to deal with the potential of them for longer.

Kes

Post by Kes »

It seems the biggest argument anyone is talking about over here is schools.

When my kids were young, any virus going about, you'd find it in schools. You could bet if it was going around, my kids would have it, flu, chicken pox, bloody everything. The best breeding grounds for viral infections ever invented. No arguments at all.

Toddlers in school. No immunity, no idea of distancing, no real concept of people getting ill. Not really any appreciation of danger. Kids, unfortunately, will be kids.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Over 1000 daily deaths in the UK from Covid for the first time since April. Scary times indeed.

Kes

Post by Kes »

For the next 2-3 weeks, those figures aren' t likely to be going down very much. Back in July, when they said the second wave of pandemics are traditionally worse than first waves, I knew they weren't kidding.

Back in April, I said on here, I was amazed that they were doing f*ck all at UK airports, no temperature checks, no swab tests, not even writing down where inbound passengers were going.

In January 2021, they still f*cking aren't.

I bet the next time China (or anywhere similar) has a new pandemic, they might think a little bit harder about keeping it, where it starts. I mean the world, not just China.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I've split posts about the protests in America to the Trump thread, let's keep it all together over there.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

To lighten the mood a little.

I just asked my Alexa what the weather would be like today?

The reply was, Why? Where the fuck do you think you can go idiot?

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I hope you blubbered back through the tears, "For a walk! Leave me alone!"

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Many in Australia would love Jacinda as our PM..

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/stat ... 4329225217