In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Starman

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Starman »

For a virus (or other pathogen) to be a genuine existential threat it would have to kill the majority of its hosts whilst also still being able to spread to new ones.

We could face a virus that kills, say, 20% of infected people, but I think that once you start to go beyond that the national selection pressures are such that the virus will burn itself out.

I think that’s why zombie apocalypse films are quite compelling, because the dead are able to continue to pose an ongoing threat to the living. The good news is that such a disease has never befallen us thusfar, and there’s a fairly wide explanatory gap between our current understanding of biology and a scenario in which a zombie apocalypse could be possible.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Starman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:04 pm For a virus (or other pathogen) to be a genuine existential threat it would have to kill the majority of its hosts whilst also still being able to spread to new ones.

We could face a virus that kills, say, 20% of infected people, but I think that once you start to go beyond that the national selection pressures are such that the virus will burn itself out.

I think that’s why zombie apocalypse films are quite compelling, because the dead are able to continue to pose an ongoing threat to the living. The good news is that such a disease has never befallen us thusfar, and there’s a fairly wide explanatory gap between our current understanding of biology and a scenario in which a zombie apocalypse could be possible.
I think that Ebola is way more deadly than C-19. Just like you described, the hosts tend to die before they spread it widely.

Starman

Post by Starman »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:10 pm
Starman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:04 pm For a virus (or other pathogen) to be a genuine existential threat it would have to kill the majority of its hosts whilst also still being able to spread to new ones.

I think that Ebola is way more deadly than C-19. Just like you described, the hosts tend to die before they spread it widely.
Plus it’s not airborne and it’s very obvious when someone has it

High transmissibility plus high mortality just doesn’t make evolutionary sense for a virus.

…..unless there’s a selection pressure favouring mutations, in an environment where replication isn’t completely suppressed.

….ie a population where most people are vaccinated but a large number refuse because they’d prefer to pray to crystals or whatever

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Considering what has allegedly being going on at 10 Downing Street and the reactions from Boris, I think many more people will simply ignore any new restrictions. He should have come clean as soon as the news broke.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

JLP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:20 pm Considering what has allegedly being going on at 10 Downing Street and the reactions from Boris, I think many more people will simply ignore any new restrictions. He should have come clean as soon as the news broke.
I don't think there's a single top flight politician who's ever figured out that's the best way through a situation, it's just not part of their makeup.

BluePowderMonkey

Post by BluePowderMonkey »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-59952786

Let's hope they find him, if he is alive. How on earth do parents deal with this sort of thing?

Then there are all the stabbings in London of teenagers. It's really depressing reading the news now.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

BluePowderMonkey wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-59952786

Let's hope they find him, if he is alive. How on earth do parents deal with this sort of thing?

Then there are all the stabbings in London of teenagers. It's really depressing reading the news now.
That was in 2007. I have a feeling he is no longer alive. Parents grieve for the rest of their lives. What a shame and such a handsome young lad. :(