In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
User avatar
the milkman
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by the milkman »

Same thing going on here. I bet less than 10% are wearing them downtown. Our governor is opening amusement parks and water parks tomorrow. Wish us luck!

User avatar
whitequeen20
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 pm
Location: UK

Re: In The News Today...

Post by whitequeen20 »

Innuendoes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 pm
whitequeen20 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:47 pm
JLP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Social distancing my arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754039

Something tells me by the start of July, we just might be back where we were on March 23rd.
Jeez what the hell is wrong with people, they really are monumentally stupid.
They are doing it, here, too. And being just as stupid if not worse. A gal I used to work with in Missouri posted this the other day and apparently went to the store with her friends and all their kids. I saw her saying she refused to wear masks, too. I said something to her about she better have one on and she said she would suffocate if she had to wear one of those things. I wanted to say. what do you think you will feel like when your lungs are full?

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/news ... Z3jtTHsMqs
She's not gonna be real happy with a ventilator if she thinks a mask is bad to wear. I can't believe how some people don't seem to realize how bad things are, it's not like it's not all over the news constantly, I've seen a lot of people on twitter claiming things didn't shut down for the flu and this is just the same, they just don't have a clue. Wish they'd realize the sooner they do the right thing the sooner we stand a chance of getting on top of things and having some sort of normality.

User avatar
whitequeen20
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 pm
Location: UK

Re: In The News Today...

Post by whitequeen20 »

the milkman wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Same thing going on here. I bet less than 10% are wearing them downtown. Our governor is opening amusement parks and water parks tomorrow. Wish us luck!
Crazy. In the UK they've recommended masks but they aren't mandatory and there's not many people wearing them where I live, even the shop assistants aren't in a lot of cases.

Kes
Moderator
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

Being honest, I thought they'd get on top of this pretty quickly, and do a better job of containing it. But i fairly quickly saw that they weren't putting heat cameras in airports, they weren't asking people coming into the country to restrict their movements for the first 14 days. It seemed they were restricting us who were already here, while letting everybody else fuck off all over the place.

A million Santa's little helpers zotting around doing the shopping for people in care homes, no problem developed there, did it?

Here we are three months later, and something like 5-10% of the people have had it, leaving over 90% who can still spread it or die from it.

They've only now come up with this scheme to quarantine people coming into the country for 14 days. Like someone's going to come here and despite saying they will, actually abide by that.

pow wow
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by pow wow »

Kes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 pm
Being honest, I thought they'd get on top of this pretty quickly, and do a better job of containing it. But i fairly quickly saw that they weren't putting heat cameras in airports, they weren't asking people coming into the country to restrict their movements for the first 14 days. It seemed they were restricting us who were already here, while letting everybody else fuck off all over the place.

A million Santa's little helpers zotting around doing the shopping for people in care homes, no problem developed there, did it?

Here we are three months later, and something like 5-10% of the people have had it, leaving over 90% who can still spread it or die from it.

They've only now come up with this scheme to quarantine people coming into the country for 14 days. Like someone's going to come here and despite saying they will, actually abide by that.
I don’t particularly get the panic to have people coming in quarantine for 14 days. We are supposed to be one the worst affected in Europe ergo if you bring in 50,000 from other countries it will actually improve the ratio of cases we have.

The quarantine rule will only have an effect once we’re down to very few cases and/or have less active cases than the country they’re flying in from. Until the track and trace teams are up and running the ruling was more politically motivated (seen to be doing something) rather than science backed. This 20 minute test would help a lot at airports.

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by fairydandy »

JLP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Social distancing my arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754039

Something tells me by the start of July, we just might be back where we were on March 23rd.
The risk in the outside and especially in the sunshine is apparently very low.

I feel like I should join the chorus against them, especially as no one on here is really allowed an independent thought, but honestly, I just couldn't care less what they do.

User avatar
JLP
Site Admin
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm
Location: Here

Re: In The News Today...

Post by JLP »

fairydandy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm
JLP wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Social distancing my arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52754039

Something tells me by the start of July, we just might be back where we were on March 23rd.
The risk in the outside and especially in the sunshine is apparently very low.

I feel like I should join the chorus against them, especially as no one on here is really allowed an independent thought, but honestly, I just couldn't care less what they do.

But people still should be 2m apart. In that picture, they clearly are not. If some one had the virus in that crowd and coughed or sneezed, they could potentially infect several people.

As for your opinion, you are free to think and say whatever you want.

Kes
Moderator
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

As has anyone who wants to disagree.

I feel quite sure, if someone has an opinion, that is backed up with irrefutable fact, it will win through.

Proof is in the pudding, isn't it? If in two weeks time, these sunbathers are not amongst the daily infections, then there's evidence there that doing what they've been doing is OK.

You can't beat the idea of fearless voluntary guinea pigs, can you?

The way I see it, as long as people are going to take serious measures not to infect other people, ie the wearing of face coverings, if they want to run the gauntlet, it should be their choice. But at least make it patently obvious to others if you're following the guidelines, or not. That way, those that do think it's a risk, can try and stay away from you.

User avatar
fairydandy
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by fairydandy »

I tested positive almost four weeks ago by the way. I was lucky in that it didn't affect me too much. A tickly cough, nausea, constant headaches, loss of sense of smell, then after ten days, I had mild breathing difficulties. My first day back to 100% fitness hasn't happened yet, as I now have fatigue that drags me back some days and I still struggle at the top of the stairs with mild breathlessness (that wasn't there before)...essentially though, I am almost over it and I feel generally fine.

I still don't care what others do though! If they want to go on the beach, good for them. :-)

Kes
Moderator
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

Doubled edged sword though, good for them, not so good for the dead people. There's nearly 40,000 of them now, who don't have the option of turning back the clock.

PS. Hope you get back to full fitness soon, and you're hopefully one of the lucky ones, who now doesn't have to worry about it... catching it, or infecting others.

Post Reply