In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

Please only read this if you're fucking interested, and address any complaints to Battersea dogs home.

Unfortunately, lsr and myself got into a disagreement the other day. Just like I wouldn't expect anyone else here to have a grasp of how Bernoulli's theory works in the middle of a jet engine, i haven't done four years with my head stuck in a pile of medical textbooks. As Trump says, I'm not a doctor. For that I apologise, I'm only trying to get a handle on something bordering on the outside of my sphere of comprehension.

Saying that, I HAVE been sat on my fingers for six weeks, and tried to look at this crisis from a perspective that at least, I can understand. If I'm wrong on ANY of this, someone please correct me.

I've heard many people say that Covid19 is like SARS. on the face of it, I guess it is, it came from another species, gets in your lungs and might kill you, but that's pretty much where the parallels stop.

As I understand it, SARS gets a foothold in your lungs, replicates there, and becomes contagious from there. Covid19 gets it's foothold in the upper respiratory system (your nose and throat, basically in your saliva, and/or moisture in that area) and replicates there. The difference this appears to make is where you are in the stages of the illness when you are most likely to spread it. As (or if) it builds up progressively, over the period of about a week, it then progresses down to the lungs, and THAT'S when it's probably going to go harpic. But you're most likely to spread it, before you even know you've actually got it, in the first 3 or 4 days.

In the process over the last few weeks, I've learnt that viruses are generally too small to be classed as living things, therefore if they don't live, they can't die. If someone coughs in their hand, and touches your groceries, then unless you neutralise the little fuckers, then they're there, and banging them in the freezer does what banging stuff in the freezer does to every thing else. I'm pretty sure apart from inhalation of droplets directly, this virus does transmit through getting it on your hands and then you introducing it into your upper respiratory system, and/or your tear ducts, otherwise washing your hands wouldn't have a point.

All I've done here, is look at facts, and draw conclusions, anyone can do it if they want

lsr

Post by lsr »

A lot of people are understandably experiencing high levels of stress at the moment and inevitably it will occasionally boil over. I come here during downtime, and as covid is a frequent conversation topic, I’ll chip in with some opinions and maybe even a few facts when relevant. But this is my downtime, and I don’t tend to talk much about my ‘real’ life, having had my fingers burnt a few times in the past, so if anyone else brings it up I’m likely to just stop offering my opinions/facts. Maybe that’s no great loss, I don’t know.

In the spirit of occasional facts...
The naming conventions during this have been pretty confusing. Originally it was a ‘novel coronavirus’ and now it’s ‘COVID-19’. That’s simply because it’s a coronavirus that was first identified in 2019. SARS is what the media called the disease that started in 2003 but it could equally have been called COVID-03. Both that virus and the current one can cause a Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome - SARS. In fact the name of 2003’s novel coronavirus is SARS-CoV-1 and the new one is SARS-CoV-2. So COVID-19 isn’t ‘like’ SARS - it is SARS. And if the world had spent the last 17 years working on a vaccine for the 2003 SARS, chances are it would only require a small amount of modification to work on the new one.

Incidentally a large proportion of the doctors working in ICUs treating COVID-19 patients know exactly what Bernoulli’s principle is - it’s how some oxygen masks work and is a classic FRCA question (alongside the Coanda effect, for that matter).

Kes

Post by Kes »

Just looking around, i can see these are stressful times, particularly for healthcare professionals, and talking shop in your downtime, is something you might not need. Like it or lump it, your input IS valued, all the more so because of the previous sentence.

The key to the reference to Bernoullis was in it's application, not the fact it exists. Likewise, the difference between "could do" and "can do" in a lot of professions, involves training, study, exams, and certificates.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Talk about do as I say not do what I do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rules.html

Kes

Post by Kes »

What is it with advisors.

Wee Jimmy Krankie's one in Scotland did exactly the same.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Kes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 pm
What is it with advisors.

Wee Jimmy Krankie's one in Scotland did exactly the same.
Wonder if he will resign like here did? How do they expect people to take notice when they do this?

As for Boris, I am starting to think he is still getting over his illness. Otherwise you would expect to have seen him at least one daily briefing considering all the policy changes.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I must admit, I'm starting to wonder whether Boris having 5-Star Gold care in St Thomas's made the difference between him being in there a week, and being put on a ventilator. Pretty sure he's not a well bunny, just yet, anyway.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

fairydandy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
I tested positive almost four weeks ago by the way. I was lucky in that it didn't affect me too much. A tickly cough, nausea, constant headaches, loss of sense of smell, then after ten days, I had mild breathing difficulties. My first day back to 100% fitness hasn't happened yet, as I now have fatigue that drags me back some days and I still struggle at the top of the stairs with mild breathlessness (that wasn't there before)...essentially though, I am almost over it and I feel generally fine.

I still don't care what others do though! If they want to go on the beach, good for them. :-)
I hope you recover fully.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Not really surprised to see ministers rally round Dominic Cummings this morning. You can bet your bottom dollar they would be different if Kier Starmers advisor had done something similar.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Not something I'd particularly want to bet on.

Most people in politics say one thing and do another. It's how they get the sheep to do what they want.

The difference between political parties and football teams, is that with football teams, you might actually like one of them, party politics is about which you least dislike.