In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Kes

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Kes »

Elessar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 pm]

But people can’t say faggot :(
In a free world, they can say what they want. If it's wrong, they can then get chastised for it.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Can't remember that being a gay activist concert, but still.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Elessar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:08 pm
JLP wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 pm So Priti Patel can shout, swear and generally belittle people but can keep her job because her behaviour was unintentional.

Having been the victim of similar behaviour which indirectly led to the end of a career I loved, I find the fact that the PM is supporting her totally abhorrent.
Abhorrent but totally on brand.

Meanwhile, a panellist on HIGNFY said he’d love to bomb Glastonbury and kill 200,000 Corbyn supporters.

As I recall, Jo Brand was censured for saying she wanted to throw battery acid at Tories on that show. No similar censure for this chap.
Didn't know that. Who was it?

Kes

Post by Kes »

And as a doctor, how do you reconcile with someone who's been dead four months?

AIDS awareness = gay activism?

Nope, not getting it.

Kes

Post by Kes »

At that point, AIDS was killing anyone who contracted it.

To say it was a gay disease, is a bit like Trump saying Covid was a Chinese virus.

Thought you'd see the irony of that.

Sole Survivor

Post by Sole Survivor »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:48 pm As for Dusty. I have no idea of any Pms between us. Maybe you misunderstood something i said (see above)? I don't recall. What I do remember is that I posted or Pm'd Dusty when i heard of his health issues. I offered him a truce from our ongoing exchanges and I wished him full recovery. After that i barely posted on QOL. If i have ever offended Dusty I sincerely apologise and I would hope he is safe and healthy and living a happy life.
Thank you, load. Although I don't seem to recall a post or PM, I'm happy that you agree to a truce. Chances for my full and complete recovery are remote, unless there's been a major breakthrough in medicine that I've previously been unaware of; Parkinson's is a progressive disease that will gradually get worse until the inevitable, but so far, crossed fingers, I haven't had any really major shit to deal with just yet. I'm currently undergoing speech therapy and exercise regularly, so at least I'm not getting any worse! :P Hopefully, I will still be going for a good few decades yet.... :shock:

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

A bit of light relief of anyone interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54922518

Ten minutes to make every team to win the Premier League or old Division One.

My time 7minutes and 34 seconds.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness achieved it's intended aim with me. It made me VERY aware what AIDS was, how it was transmitted, and to be able to feel empathy towards anyone suffering from it.

It kind of solidified my feeling that anyone who knew they had it, and still carried on in the belief that gratification was more important that the safety of others, was basically, a c*nt.

Never at any point did I feel it was a "gay" cause, it was a "human" cause.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Elessar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:23 pm
It was literally called GRID (Gay Related ImmunoDeficiency) until about 1982.
In 1982, I wasn't aware of it at all. More to the point, neither was Freddie Mercury.

Kes

Post by Kes »

At the point that the first news reports were coming out of China, I was aware of it, and concerned by it. I became very aware of the number of flights coming in from China, and the fact that as the situation progressed, the lack of any counter measures being put in place, was becoming more and more alarming.

Other countries that were taking measures at that time, have supressed their number of infections, and that was all it should ever have been about, keeping this disease at bay until solutions could be found.

I think time has proved, what I instinctively felt was right, was right, despite most other people thinking other things. The diversity of people's ideas of the best course of action was the main problem. No-one could agree on the best way through it.

Boris Johnson will get the blame in the end, where really it was the differing views of those in positions of knowing about viral control, advising him who were really to blame.