In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
action

Re: In The News Today...

Post by action »

Elessar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
But for a lot of the 80s it was associated with gays and blacks. That’s just a fact. A horrible, shameful fact, but a fact nonetheless.
no one is denying that gays and blacks were, and are discriminated against. I don't think you will make that go away, not even with forbidding certain words.

new people get born, kids from a young age ridicule and bully those who are different. It is a solid law of nature, and it can never go away, no more than you can make the sun go away.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Elessar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Lots of people in this thread are offended by the absence of the word
Typical Woke response here. If it is not there then make it up. No one here is offended by the absence of the word. It is just that some of us here are mature and open-minded and wise enough to know it is all about context and that this immature and spoilt little cancel culture you so defend causes more divisions and helps no one.

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:07 am Apparently, I'm on one "side" of the argument.

The way I see it, one side wants to try and see the worst in every angle of society, and sanitise it to the point that nobody ever upsets anyone ever again.

The other side has got to be the polar opposite to that, and want to drunkenly sing the word "faggot" every year at Christmas.

Sorry, this is another one of those cases where I'm somewhere in between. The woke argument seems to be a bit divisive and polarized saying "You're either with us,or against us",. Don't you think that's a bit like Trump's argument?

I guess when someone you think "should" be offended by the word, says he isn't, then it puts the argument of the unsolicited representation, in a not so sturdy place.

Ultimately, to change the world, you need to change the people in it. That's fair enough with the people who hold extreme views. The ones who think both sides are wrong for different reasons, are probably the ones who wind up being less disappointed.

The avalanche hasn't happened, because when it does, you won't be allowed to voice an opinion, because your opinion "might" upset someone, somewhere.
Bloody well said.

This is my main bone of contention with this arrogant Woke movement too; it really is 'us and them' with that lot. They are so blinded by their narrow-minded beliefs and their supercilious attitudes that they really cannot empathise with the views of others who do not fit into their little box. Well, f*ck that.

MusicalProstitute

Elessar wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 am

The reason I wrote about people drunkenly singing it is because, as far as I’m aware, nobody actually listens to that song for about 50 weeks of the year, and in my experience it’s an absolute crowd-pleaser at any Christmas party, instantly recognisable from those opening piano notes.
Nah. The reason you wrote about drunk people singing it is to take your usual superior stance. Looking down your nose at the Working classes having a few pints in Wetherspoons (and then fingering some bird, as you so eloquently put it). It is the normal, arrogant and Middle Class attitude most of you Woke types have in spades.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Nothing like being topical...

Kind of fed up now. I don't personally use the n word, or the f word. I think of LGBT- BLT people, as just people who like different things to me. It doesn't make them less people in any way. The colour of someone doesn't matter, but I think "their" attitude towards that colour often does. I think the vast majority of people only see the back garden from their side of the fence.

I think the woke people, should join forces with the fucking Trump supporters, and sod off to China, and sort out some fucking real human rights problems. They might actually find out that the truth is somewhere in that fucking vast space between them.

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm Nothing like being topical...

Kind of fed up now. I don't personally use the n word, or the f word. I think of LGBT- BLT people, as just people who like different things to me. It doesn't make them less people in any way. The colour of someone doesn't matter, but I think "their" attitude towards that colour often does. I think the vast majority of people only see the back garden from their side of the fence.

I think the woke people, should join forces with the fucking Trump supporters, and sod off to China, and sort out some fucking real human rights problems. They might actually find out that the truth is somewhere in that fucking vast space between them.

This kind of explains my feelings on all this Woke nonsense too. :)

Best way to deal with it is just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Don't allow such a ridiculous and hypocritical movement to piss you off in any way. One can never win with these types - they do not want real debate, just a 'me against you' set up - which divides us all even further. Stuff that attitude.

action

Post by action »

what is wrong with being drunk and chanting offensive language? bloody good times they are, but not for the venom-pissers I guess.

not everyone is an encyclopedia-salesman.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm
Elessar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Lots of people in this thread are offended by the absence of the word
Typical Woke response here. If it is not there then make it up. No one here is offended by the absence of the word. It is just that some of us here are mature and open-minded and wise enough to know it is all about context and that this immature and spoilt little cancel culture you so defend causes more divisions and helps no one.
Who are these "Woke" people? Through Covid I understood that these were right wing nut jobs. They believe that most of us are asleep and that we are "sheeple". They see it as there duty to educate us sheeple that Covid is fake and that there is a new world order lead by Bill Gates that keep children in underground tunnels to feast on etc.. These "Woke" Right Wing Nut Jobs are uneducated morons that also believe that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

I guess "Woke" means different things to different people..

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm
Not funny. Royals often have lead-lined coffins, they weigh a fucking ton. Bear that in mind the next time you watch a Royal funeral.
Why are they lined with lead? So they don’t float up in a flood? Harder to steal? To keep out radiation? Just trying to figure this out...

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Kes wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm
Not funny. Royals often have lead-lined coffins, they weigh a fucking ton. Bear that in mind the next time you watch a Royal funeral.
Why are they lined with lead? So they don’t float up in a flood? Harder to steal? To keep out radiation? Just trying to figure this out...
So they don't escape? :mrgreen: