In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Lord of all darkness

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Lord of all darkness »

Bad news in Melbourne. 13 cases over the last few days with the UK variant. Melbourne is going to a 5 day hard lockdown tonight. Go hard and go early.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Apparently, there's thousands of variants out there. I know we have to call significant ones something, but this one's starting to sound like Donald's "Chinese" virus. It's only really the Kent or UK one, because at the start of regularly checking the genome of the virus, it was spotted and noticed it was different, near Canterbury.

Anyway, I hope this Australian outbreak is shortlived.

The variant is more infectious, but we're still a little baffled in what ways it's more infectious. Does it take a smaller viral dose to take hold, does it remain active longer in the air, or on sufaces. Although it's been about a few months, they don't seem to know too much about it.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Sad to hear about Australia’s lockdown but at least the Australian Open tennis tournament gets to continue. Just no fans now.

Lord of all darkness

MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:29 pm Sad to hear about Australia’s lockdown but at least the Australian Open tennis tournament gets to continue. Just no fans now.
Yeah, not very popular as we are all asking why we can't go do what we want, yet the tennis continues.

We will get this under control again.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:19 pm
MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:29 pm Sad to hear about Australia’s lockdown but at least the Australian Open tennis tournament gets to continue. Just no fans now.
Yeah, not very popular as we are all asking why we can't go do what we want, yet the tennis continues.

As I was watching, the tournament director said that the tennis players were the same as any other workers in the country, so they could go to their job (playing tennis). They do get paid for that, so I guess it is their employment. What made me laugh a bit was he said that any of the tournament workers that could work from home would do that. How do you work on a tennis tourney from home, lol? Ok....maybe somebody does something computer related, keeping statistics or something...but it just made me laugh that anyone working on a sporting event would do it from home.

Lord of all darkness

MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:26 pm

As I was watching, the tournament director said that the tennis players were the same as any other workers in the country, so they could go to their job (playing tennis). They do get paid for that, so I guess it is their employment. What made me laugh a bit was he said that any of the tournament workers that could work from home would do that. How do you work on a tennis tourney from home, lol? Ok....maybe somebody does something computer related, keeping statistics or something...but it just made me laugh that anyone working on a sporting event would do it from home.
The rule is essential workers can go to work at their office. Tennis is not an essential service. I can see how and why they are allowing it to go ahead. Sponsors are very needy when the give millions of dollars to tournaments. It is not a very good look.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Lord of all darkness wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm
MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:26 pm

The rule is essential workers can go to work at their office. Tennis is not an essential service. I can see how and why they are allowing it to go ahead. Sponsors are very needy when the give millions of dollars to tournaments. It is not a very good look.
Is other sport carrying on down under load? Here sport is carrying on, but without spectators. Not been to a live game since March last year.

Ray

In The News Today...

Post by Ray »

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

It’s confusing..the commentator first said tennis players had been declared essential workers....but then he came back later and said he was wrong, that tennis players were just considered workers, but that all workers in Victoria were able to go to work, not just essential. So I was scratching my head. I agree though, if only essentials are to work then you can hardly lump tennis in with that. Although selfishly for me I am glad they are playing. Tennis is the sport I love and missing so much last year just devastated me.

Lord of all darkness

MyHumanZoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 pm

It’s confusing..the commentator first said tennis players had been declared essential workers....but then he came back later and said he was wrong, that tennis players were just considered workers, but that all workers in Victoria were able to go to work, not just essential. So I was scratching my head. I agree though, if only essentials are to work then you can hardly lump tennis in with that. Although selfishly for me I am glad they are playing. Tennis is the sport I love and missing so much last year just devastated me.
The rules are very clear. If you can work from home then you must do so. I guess it's hard to play tennis from home. Many are still upset that the tennis continues, albeit without fans. Crowds could be back by Thursday.