In The News Today...

Other music, TV, films and general interest
Lord of all darkness

Re: In The News Today...

Post by Lord of all darkness »

JLP wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am
Lord of all darkness wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 pm
MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:26 pm

As I was watching, the tournament director said that the tennis players were the same as any other workers in the country, so they could go to their job (playing tennis). They do get paid for that, so I guess it is their employment. What made me laugh a bit was he said that any of the tournament workers that could work from home would do that. How do you work on a tennis tourney from home, lol? Ok....maybe somebody does something computer related, keeping statistics or something...but it just made me laugh that anyone working on a sporting event would do it from home.
The rule is essential workers can go to work at their office. Tennis is not an essential service. I can see how and why they are allowing it to go ahead. Sponsors are very needy when the give millions of dollars to tournaments. It is not a very good look.
Is other sport carrying on down under load? Here sport is carrying on, but without spectators. Not been to a live game since March last year.
Cricket continued, albeit with reduced numbers at games. Netball, Basketball and soccer continue. Aussie rules starts in March hopefully with crowds.

Only 2 new cases today and all are linked to the hotel quarantine program.

Lord of all darkness

Post by Lord of all darkness »

New Zealand city of Auckland enters a 3 day lock down as a family of 3 test positive. Go hard and go fast.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I've sit the Formula 1 chat into its own thread as it was burying the other discussion here.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=521

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's quite shocking, some of the temperatures you've got it the USA at the moment.

It's cold enough in Texas, that people are jumping in their deep freezers, to try and warm up a bit.

Innuendoes
Location: Ah, another day has gone, another friend has gone into the flame.

Post by Innuendoes »

Yes, some areas are terribly cold and some of them are areas that are normally what I would call warm at this time of year, like Texas, for instance. I have quite a few friends there and they are freaking and miserable. The wind turbines froze and snow, which they normally don't have, has covered the solar panels so no electricity is being generated.

We are having some really cold temps where I am as well and it is usually pretty cold and snowy at this time of year but when you add wind chill to it, it's brutal. We've had nearly a week of - temperatures at night and even during the day. A few nights it's been -30F with the Windchill which is just about impossible to get comfortable with, especially if you are in a house that wasn't properly built in the first place.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

:shock: I must be getting used to this. Here I thought it had warmed up and was getting better out so I checked the National Weather Service for in town, here. Not so! -11°F -24°C and no Windchill listed which is very unusual. Maybe because there is no wind, it feels warmer.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Yesterday, it was like +25C in Florida, and -25C in Oklahoma, that's a bit of a temperature difference.

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

My Oklahoma friends are near freaking out. They're not used to this and in both Texas and Oklahoma, if it snows, they REALLY freak out because they are not used to driving in snow at all. Everything shuts down because they're all terrified to drive in snow. I've lived in both those states but born and raised in Illinois where it was normal to have 1 or more foot of snow at a time. We would go out and have the highways to ourselves because no one else was driving around. It was pretty cool, especially in Houston. :lol:

Innuendoes

Post by Innuendoes »

But having no heat is a whole nother thing and not cool at all! (No pun, intended)

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

A buddy who's generally far more switched on (no pun intended) to things like this than me said a big part of the problem is that Texas' electricity infrastructure is completely different to the rest of the US because they rejected federal regulation in the 80s.

Now they're asking the federal government for help, and they physically can't help because nothing's compatible.