What is your favourite Queen era?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Favorite Queen era?

Queen 1 & 2
35%
Sheer Heart Attack- A Day At The Races
30%
News Of The World & Jazz
15%
The Game- The Miracle
15%
Innuendo
5%

Total votes : 20

What is your favourite Queen era?

Postby Ogre T Raylor » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Queen as we all know are one of the most diverse bands to have ever existed. Heavy metal, pop, funk, piano ballads, power ballads,, dirty rock mystical acoustic songs, crowd rousing anthems, almost everything. However I think there are some distinct eras in their career.

The first 2 albums are sort of arty heavy rock with fantasy elements

Sheer Heart Attack to A Day At The Races have a somewhat lighter and whimsical feel, while still retaining the heavier sound of the early records. At this point they are writing some songs for obvious chart success. Killer Queen being a perfect example.

News Of The World & Jazz turn up the volume slightly again, but the music is mores "stripped down" and less multi layered than before

The Game to The Miracle have a more commercial pop-rock sound to them. The experimentation is less and the seem to be crafting accessible tunes

And finally Innuendo is a sort of odd man out. It's not quite a full return to the mid 70s sound, but it's clear that it was a deliberate attempt to have a more heavy yet whimsical sound.

Ogre T Raylor
Spread Your Wings

delete account

Re: What is your favourite Queen era?

Postby action » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:43 pm

made in heaven is the pinnacle. the epic harmonies, such as in "made in heaven" and "let me live", the exquisite freddie vocals, the consistency of the album, not a dud on it. they never were better.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Not an option to sum up mine. My favourite albums are Queen II and ADATR, so...

Queen II to ADATR.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby nicksmithworld » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 am

Hard to pick a single era, but what I always found astonishing about Queen is how good they were straight from the off, so accomplished and professional sounding early on and this quality never rescinded. Queen II still blows my mind.
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby Wild/Wind » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:39 am

Neither do I have an option frm the above.

I love Queen - ADATR, but also dependents on my mood, I like Jazz - The works, I wish Queen had choosen rockier path in 80s a bit of mix The game and flash gordon's songs like The hero, football fight, save me ballads. All members had adjusted their way of playing and singing etc in a more open and "simple" way. Roger drumming was simplier compare to 70s, but it had what the songs needed, no more or less. Brian guitar technique improved but less orcherstrations, John was steady( I think) , Freddie improved his singing technique.
Their worst albums have aa bunch of good songs and some of the have זgreat production and music ideas.

The last "era" which I listen it as a "trilogy" is The miracle - Made in Heaven.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby classicqueenfan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I am a classic Queen fan. My favorite Queen era is most definitely their glam-rock era of the early to mid seventies - from Queen (1) to A Day at the Races. Each of those albums was great for all the same reasons: the interesting and sophisticated blend of fantasy, cabaret, soft medleys, hard rock and awesome harmonies. Each obviously was the result of intense, focused work and effort to produce exactly what the band wanted to present of themselves. Queen's catapult to fame may have come slowly, but with the release of A Night at the Opera followed by A Day at the Races, their fame would be sealed. All previously released recordings would now receive the attention and admiration they deserved. The persona of Queen was consistent throughout this period - their look and their sound. Queen could have easily carried on with who they started out as and would have most certainly continued to climb fame's ladder of success - with their created devoted fans following.
I always believed the release of News of the World marked what would become a distinct change in Queen's musical direction. That album too had it's great elements, but as a Queen work, it was simpler and not as cohesive - no musical extravaganza as were all their previous albums. Their persona - music and image at this point would change. It may or may not have been intentional, but notice the cover artwork on News of the World - depiction of the end of the old Queen? Queen's next album, Jazz, made it clear to me that this band had changed - I was disappointed. I continued to buy Queen recordings as they were released hoping for a return of the Queen that mesmerized me in my youth, but that was not to happen - I will say though, that Magic and Innuendo came close.
Queen no doubt had every right to determine their musical direction(s) and obviously have been hugely successful. I do believe Freddie was the driving force behind Queen's changes musically. And I think the other bandmates simply (gladly) went along.
After years of lamenting my long lost Queen, came the release of Queen, Live at the Rainbow '74'. I found myself experiencing again the excitement I had as a teenager buying a new Queen release. I knew it would be good, and it was. Anxious to hear it, I popped the CD in my car player in the parking lot of the store where I bought the CD. I sat back in my car, cranked up the sound and let the music take me back. The quality of the live performance was exceptional. Very true to the original recordings and all the songs that made Queen special to me. of course I also purchased the recording on vinyl and the DVD set. Watching Queen perform in all their flamboyant glory was and is a real treat.
So, I ask you, are their other classic Queen fans out there???
Last edited by classicqueenfan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classicqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 pm

1973 - 1986 , but if I have to choose a 2 year period, it is 1973-1974.

Favorite 80s album: The Works
Flash or Highlander?: Highlander
Release Date News Of The World 40th Anniversary Edition: 17 November 2017

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby decorouslylaid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 pm

classicqueenfan,

Your words are so close to the way I feel/felt about the way Queen's music changed that they could have been my own. With each upcoming album release I waited with baited breath, hoping this new release would bring a return to Queen's glorious, inspired, multi-tracked magnificence. At one point there, I thought their mojo had returned. That moment was the Flash Gordon soundtrack, which I felt contained some of their best material since Queen 2 (and which I still think is criminally underrated). When in 1982 I learned Queen were releasing a new album, I couldn't wait to hear it. I still remember the feeling of crushing disappointment when I heard it, knowing that my favourite band had irretrievably lost it. I too feel the first cracks appeared around NOTW, containing as it did what I felt were the first sub-standard tracks of their recording career. Like Samson, they seemed to lose their strength when they cut their hair! What caused the decline? It could be debated ad-infinitum, but I believe it to be a combination of focusing on rock and roll debauchery instead of the music, an unfortunate tendency to chase musical fashion in the 80's, and a general loss of the 'hunger' which carried them to greatness in the beginning. My only point of difference compared to yourself is that I don't rate AKOM at all, and considerably it to be arguably their worst album.

decorouslylaid
Spread Your Wings

Postby bluerhap » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Kes wrote:Not an option to sum up mine. My favourite albums are Queen II and ADATR, so...

Queen II to ADATR.

Ditto. But I did vote SHA-DATR.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby bluerhap » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 pm

classicqueenfan wrote:I am a classic Queen fan. My favorite Queen era is most definitely their glam-rock era of the early to mid seventies - from Queen (1) to A Day at the Races. Each of those albums was great for all the same reasons: the interesting and sophisticated blend of fantasy, cabaret, soft medleys, hard rock and awesome harmonies. Each obviously was the result of intense, focused work and effort to produce exactly what the band wanted to present of themselves. Queen's catapult to fame may have come slowly, but with the release of A Night at the Opera followed by A Day at the Races, their fame would be sealed. All previously released recordings would now receive the attention and admiration they deserved. The persona of Queen was consistent throughout this period - their look and their sound. Queen could have easily carried on with who they started out as and would have most certainly continued to climb fame's ladder of success - with their created devoted fans following.
I always believed the release of News of the World marked what would become a distinct change in Queen's musical direction. That album too had it's great elements, but as a Queen work, it was simpler and not as cohesive - no musical extravaganza as were all their previous albums. Their persona - music and image at this point would change. It may or may not have been intentional, but notice the cover artwork on News of the World - depiction of the end of the old Queen? Queen's next album, Jazz, made it clear to me that this band had changed - I was disappointed. I continued to buy Queen recordings as they were released hoping for a return of the Queen that mesmerized me in my youth, but that was not to happen - I will say though, that Magic and Innuendo came close.
Queen no doubt had every right to determine their musical direction(s) and obviously have been hugely successful. I do believe Freddie was the driving force behind Queen's changes musically. And I think the other bandmates simply (gladly) went along.
After years of lamenting my long lost Queen, came the release of Queen, Live at the Rainbow '74'. I found myself experiencing again the excitement I had as a teenager buying a new Queen release. I knew it would be good, and it was. Anxious to hear it, I popped the CD in my car player in the parking lot of the store where I bought the CD. I sat back in my car, cranked up the sound and let the music take me back. The quality of the live performance was exceptional. Very true to the original recordings and all the songs that made Queen special to me. of course I also purchased the recording on vinyl and the DVD set. Watching Queen perform in all their flamboyant glory was and is a real treat.
So, I ask you, are their other classic Queen fans out there???

I know exactly what you mean. On listening to Rainbow I can almost smell the dry ice and smoke bombs and I'm back as a teenager at the Glasgow Apollo.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Return to Killer Queen