Queen Remasters vinyl audio quality

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Queen Remasters vinyl audio quality

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:47 pm

This is my first topic since 2010...

After a year since Queen vinyl reissues, I have Just completed my review.

According to Bob Ludwig it was the Best thing, they could do in order to achive the sound they wanted.
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/bob ... JsiqwEG.97

He is right and to I can explain why. The analog tape recording inherently includes both measurable and audible amounts of dynamic compression all by itself. The degree can be changed by changing production procedures, but it is always there.

So, someone who goes back to the original analog master tapes is not as close to the source as he would be were the production process exploiting the benefits of digital audio as can easily be done today.

I've been comparing my original Queen records and the new Lp. My personal opinion about how they sound without screen shots of waveforms. I've been a Queen fan since 1989 my primary format for listening has been the LP. I also have every CD release of these albums as well as the recent remaster CDs and LPs.

The sound quality of this new LP set is very Good with few flaws. I can tell there's compression/limiting squashing the dynamic potential of these albums. It's not too extreme or awful though. The albums do sound good on my Technic turntable and 100w Pioneer amp and speaker.

Ludwig's work does reveal wonderful details that are lost on previous releases.

Many of the tracks from the first three albums seem to sound fuller with more punch to the drums at the low end and better clarity of instruments at the higher end. I'm going to go out on a limb and here and claim this Queen I to sound better than My UK, Canadian, US Promo and Japanese copies of the album.

The Queen II is pretty impressive. I'm enjoying how well some of the details in songs like Ogre Battle, Fairy Feller's and March of the Black Queen are standing out in this mix. The Ogre Battle isn't such a mess anymore same for Father to Son. With the exception of Seven Seas of Ryhe this album sounds great.

Parts of Sheer Heart Attack seem a bit muddy on the low end (like Stone Cold Crazy) but the album is fuller sounding over all, and some tracks sound better than originals (Like Tenement Funster, Flick of the Wrist and Lap of the Gods).

This set's A Night at the Opera isn't So great. This new ANATO's low end just seems too bombastic. John's bass and Roger's kick drum and floor toms just run rampant over the mix.

A Day at the Races sounds very good with crisp and clear vocals in tracks like You Take My Breath Away, it is exceptionally dynamic and full sounding from top to bottom. Original and New are great.

News of the World has a few tracks that turn out very well with this mix including We Will Rock You, Get Down Make Love and It's Late. I particularly enjoy how well the vocals stand clear and clean with the wall of blasting guitars at the climax of it's late. This is one of the good ones.

JAZZ I've never really liked the sound of the drums and the new LP isn't making any improvements on that matter with the somewhat blurry low end. I don't mind the kick drum in Jealousy. If I were just going by the tracks Fat Bottomed Girls and Dead On Time, I would say the original is better. But hey, Fun it is rocking out pretty well on this new mix. I can say this new release sound very Good and on some songs as Good or little better than the original UK, US.

The Game sounds pretty decent and benefits from the bass boost. The solos in Dragon Attack are downright screamin! Don't Try Suicide is still annoying, but Coming Soon sounds superb.

Flash sounds mostly very good and the snippets of dialog are clear and crisp.

I like the version of Hot Space in this set better than the original, the guitars are much clearer and the bass really pounds (which is appropriate for this album). Just listen to the solo in Dancer and marvel at how much cleaner it sounds. The bass in Cool Cat is so electrifying. Under Pressure is faithful to the original album mix, not the ones heard on compilations.

Mack did a pioneer work on this album back in' 82

The Works, A kind of Magic and The Miracle are about on par with the Capital and UK originals which I thought sounded good back then. Maybe some songs are better now. The Works remaster sounds outstandingly good compared to the original CD and vinyl, which sounded always very shrill and flat

In the end are Innuendo and Made in Heaven, which sound absolutely brilliant. Made in Heaven is better with better EQ on some guitars parts especilay on title track.

Overall the quality control surpasses those of the David Bowie, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd.
All the albums are impressively quiet and clean.

One of the reasons I like the 2011 /15 remaster is the fact that, for the most part, it's quite faithful to the EQ profile of the UK 1st vinyl.

No distortion, missing points etc only little compression
was done for Good... and was explained in the begining of this post.

QUEEN THE ORD

The WAV files sound great and are all in 48kHz24bit stereo and not at 44.1kHz24bit as was suggested.

Try to listen the orb on a PC connected via a tracktor soundcard with the Stereo system. It is like a studio experience.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen Remasters vinyl audio quality

Postby Jimi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:32 am

great info thanks
I will continue my mission to get through all of them over the weekend.
Its really important to me that they do sound good.
I don't buy stuff to shove in a cupboard. I play it !!

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Wild/Wind » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:30 pm

This box is really worth it! Have a good weekend

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby pootle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 am

Interesting how no one has compared the vinyls to the CD / SACD releases of 2011, considering they're all sourced from Bob Ludwig's remasters.
The BIG question I want an answer to is this: Will I notice any discernible difference between the SACDs and the LPs?

pootle
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am

that's a difficult one. That would depend on the relative quality of your equipment if ou are referring to 'sound quality' as I presume you are.
I prefer the vinyl but that's just me. I think they both have there advantages over one another.
I certainly would say the later albums in a particular benefit more from SACD

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm

I can confirm that the new 2015 LPs sound great. I tried to compare them to the 2011 CDs, and it is hard to tell the difference soundwise. The LPs are as clean as a CD. So why do I buy the LP and not a CD? I prefer LPs, for the artwork, for the durability, and for the thing being a mechanical way of listening to sound from vibrations of a needle, amplified through the speakers. The opposite way of the recording process in the studio, where the sound went from the speakers and through a microphone etc..

The only thing I had to do when comparing, was to adjust the treble all the way up on my amplifier when going from CD to LP, but that I have to do with LPs in general, all artists.. and I think it has something to do with my turntable coming from the 70s, the amp from the 80s, and the CD player from the 90s. But they all work perfectly well. Good quality products.

I have the LP box set, but to save it, I am buying the black LPs too, one at the time. So the black LPs will be
played, while the box set is protected, only for watching and displaying now and then. :)

There is no doubt they tried their very best to achieve the best sound possible. You won't get any better new releases than this.. in 10-20 years time, (2027-2037) the old master tapes will be even older, and if you are still alive, would regret not buying the vinyls that came out in 2015 ;)

It is also good to know that I might save Queen music for new generations after the nuclear bombs has destroyed everything and all digital music is down. The process of making vinyls is highly sophisticated, sensitive technology, but to listen to LPs is easy, even without any electricity... :

Vinyls will not be affected by any electromagnetic radiation. Sun storm proof too.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Killer Queen