"Somebody To Love" - the new Freddie Mercury biography

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

"Somebody To Love" - the new Freddie Mercury biography

Postby MelodyNelson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Any thoughts on this? I grabbed it fairly cheaply on Kindle and thought it was a decent read.

A lot of people won't like its preoccupation with Freddie's private life, and the fact that it actually has a social history of AIDS running side-by-side (with some chapters devoted entirely to HIV/AIDS history), but I personally thought it made the book refreshing, in a way: unlike most other Queen-related books I felt like I was really learning something new (albeit not directly about Freddie and Queen so much).

The book makes some pretty bold claims - such as placing Freddie's HIV-infection down to a specific month (July 1982), and asserts with some confidence that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a coming-out song.

It's interesting, though, that very few original interviews were held for this book - Brian's and Roger's quotes, for example, largely come from the recent Rhys Thomas documentaries, but you do hear from Peter Straker, Mike Moran and, interestingly, Marc Almond.

Anyway, has anyone else read it? What did you think?

MelodyNelson
Spread Your Wings

Re: "Somebody To Love" - the new Freddie Mercury biography

Postby Snackpot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:56 pm

How is the July 1982 assertion made, is it solely based on the fact Queen did shows in New York at that time?

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Postby MelodyNelson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Snackpot wrote:How is the July 1982 assertion made, is it solely based on the fact Queen did shows in New York at that time?

Their rationale is that it takes between four and five years for HIV to become AIDS on average, so the summer of 1982 very much fits in with the Easter 1987 AIDS diagnosis. And you're right in that July specifically is because of New York - not only did Queen perform there in July, but a week or two later Freddie returned for another four night stay during a tour break.

They also make mention of the fact that the next time Freddie is in New York is for the Saturday Night Live performance six weeks later, where he is allegedly in the tail end of a nasty flu bug that he was struggling to get rid of (I had personally only heard the story that Freddie's "issues" at SNL were due to a blazing row the night before taking his voice), but this apparently completely fits with the flu-like symptoms people suffer two-to-five weeks after HIV infection.

Very tabloidy in places, but as a lesson in HIV/AIDS alongside a well-worn story of Freddie's life it was a very intriguing combination for me.

MelodyNelson
Spread Your Wings

Postby Welshqueenfan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Freddie must have had the aids in 1985. If you listen to the simon mayo interview on queen on air, mayo actually says that freddie isnt a picture of health and has some sort of fur on his tongue.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Return to Killer Queen