Was A Kind of Magic Queen's last 'jukebox' hit?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Was A Kind of Magic Queen's last 'jukebox' hit?

Postby Snackpot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 pm

A bit of a UK-centric post things, maybe it's different in other parts of the world, but as much as we enjoy their last two studio albums before Freddie passed away, I think it's difficult to deny that in terms of public consciousness neither album had a track that necessarily pricked public consciousness in the same way songs from earlier albums had.

There were great songs, powerful songs and songs that people would recognise if they heard again, many probably as Queen songs, but nothing on the instant recognisably of earlier hit singles. If a casual punter was compiling a list of Queen 'jukebox' singles, the usual suspects would be there; songs that most people post-puberty know not only as songs but as Queen songs and can sing or hum along to most or all of the record. On that list, with that criteria, I don't think there's anything post-1986 on that list. A Kind Of Magic was the last 'jukebox' Queen song.

If you played someone all of Queen singles that made the top 10 in the UK charts from day 1 to the posthumous release of These Are The Days of Our Lives/Bohemian Rhapsody re-release, I don't think many other than avowed fans of the band will be terribly familiar with anything from The Miracle or Innuendo

I wonder how much inability to tour the last two albums impacted on the ability of the singles to prick the pubic consciousness in Britain.

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Re: Was A Kind of Magic Queen's last 'jukebox' hit?

Postby action » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 pm

good points, but there is also "i want it all" which is a massive jukebox hit
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, muss man schweigen.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby sebastian » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:32 pm

I'd say 'I Want It All' and 'Show Must Go On' were both quite popular and would qualify as jukebox hits.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Snackpot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Two good shouts. As popular as they were at the time and as much as they're loved by Queen fans/those more familiar than most with the band I'm not sure either song is really in the same category as some of their larger hits/radio friendly mid 80s pop output.

Not sure either song would pass the 'stopping someone in the street and ask them to hum part of the chorus' test. Not that is an actual test..lol

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:23 pm

I would have said 'I Want It All' too. 'Breakthru' was everywhere on uk radio in the Summer of 89, and The Invisible Man was actually a great and catchy pop record, but neither of those seem to have an extended afterlife via airplay, adverts etc now, whereas I Want It All still does.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:19 am

Always thought I Want It All was the last song that really entered the public consciousness. Don't think Show Must Go On really registered at all.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:58 am

I Want It All has been an 'advert' mainstay for years in the UK, so it's got public recognition.

I'd wager The Show Must Go On had its profile bolstered massively by Moulin Rouge and the digital era pushing it further... so it wouldn't have been then, but it is now.

A lot of people would potentially remember TATDOOL, but I'd wager that Driven By You and certainly Living On My Own were 'bigger' and more easily memorable, particularly the latter as it became a dancefloor anthem for weddings and birthdays for a few years there...
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby slightlymad1970 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am

BitterTears wrote:Always thought I Want It All was the last song that really entered the public consciousness. Don't think Show Must Go On really registered at all.

Not sure if I remember this correctly but wasn't TSMGO pulled from record shops in the UK to make way for BR/TATDOOL, this was the reason it never went any higher than No16. If it hadn't beed withdrawn I'm adamant it would've been a top3 single because of the huge explosion of interest in Freddie and the band after his death here in the UK.

I would agree that I Want It All was a jukebox hit here in the UK, massive airplay and exposure when released and still played on commercial radio from time to time even now :-D

slightlymad1970
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Not exactly a jukebox but if you look at YT views, 'Show' is the 14th most popular Queen one, beating the likes of 'I Want It All', 'A Kind of Magic' and 'You're My Best Friend'. So, worldwide, at the moment, it is indeed searched and/or played more at least in that particular platform. Not bad for a video which had zero original material and was instead a compilation.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13 pm

I don't think TSMGO was as much "pulled", as under instruction from the band, EMI didn't repress it in answer to the sudden demand for it.

I'd be fairly adamant that it would have made number one, had they supplied the demand, like they did when John Lennon died. He had THREE singles hit the top spot following his death.

Instead, in Queen's case they let the Greatest Hits albums fill the demand.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:21 pm

I could argue that Heaven For Everyone was their last BIG jukebox single, as it's release on 7" was EXCLUSIVELY for jukeboxes.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Hernán » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:21 pm

sebastian wrote:Not exactly a jukebox but if you look at YT views, 'Show' is the 14th most popular Queen one, beating the likes of 'I Want It All', 'A Kind of Magic' and 'You're My Best Friend'. So, worldwide, at the moment, it is indeed searched and/or played more at least in that particular platform. Not bad for a video which had zero original material and was instead a compilation.

Agreed.

On Spotify, too, The Show Must Go On ranks above A Kind Of Magic.

I Want It All also have a higher total than A Kind Of Magic.

By the way, if we rank the biggest hits per decade based on Spotify's streaming totals, Queen are one of the few acts with Top 100 entries in three separate decades (including The Show Must Go On for the 90s). The only other act that achieved that -as far as I know- were The Rolling Stones (60s, 70s and 80s).

Out of interest, Queen's YouTube views keep going up and down every now and then, very annoying. :x They reached over 3 billion since September 2014.

Hernán
Spread Your Wings

Postby DLCVJazz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:13 am

AKOM peak 3, and stayed 11 weeks in UK single charts.
IWIA also peak 3, but stayed just 7 weeks in UK single charts.
TSMGO perhaps just peak 16, stayed 10 weeks in UK single charts.

I see the weeks on chart really important, the peak sometimes lies the sucess of the single (Innuendo, for example).

DLCVJazz
We Will Rock You

Postby sebastian » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:33 am

DLCVJazz wrote:AKOM peak 3, and stayed 11 weeks in UK single charts.
IWIA also peak 3, but stayed just 7 weeks in UK single charts.
TSMGO perhaps just peak 16, stayed 10 weeks in UK single charts.

I see the weeks on chart really important, the peak sometimes lies the sucess of the single (Innuendo, for example).

Yes but it also depends on the month of the year, the competition, etc. Same for peak, as you said ... in fact, the late George Michael had (as part of Wham) a No 2 hit which, in Britain, outsold almost every No 1 hit ever, with only 16 exceptions. Same for the duet of Aguilera with Maroon 5 more recently: peaked at No 2, but sold more than almost any No 1 single (35 exceptions this time).

I don't doubt 'Magic' most likely outsold 'I Want It All' when it comes to comparing their original vinyl releases in the 80's (or maybe already CD as well), but two and a half decades later they're fairly equal when it comes to their lasting impact.

Likewise, 'Body Language' had, initially, far more success in America than many Queen songs that are now far better known and which haven't dated that much.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Return to Killer Queen