Why Does The 2012 Remaster Of JAZZ Sound Like Crap?

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Why Does The 2012 Remaster Of JAZZ Sound Like Crap?

Postby YAFF » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:16 am

Is the Hollywood Records version better? Is it just a bad mix? I don't remember it being so dull sounding. "Mustapha" is mixed too low in spots that when the band kicks it the balance is terrible. What is the best cd version of this album?
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Re: Why Does The 2012 Remaster Of JAZZ Sound Like Crap?

Postby Tom63 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Yaff, for me the Hollywood Records edition is by far the best release. As they kept Mustapha to the original version. The re-release from 2011 is strangly mixed, with the odd sounding drumkick in Jealousy and Mustapha is in some levels almost ruined. Sounds ruined....

Tom
Have to have some fun.........

Tom63
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:27 am

Tom63 wrote:Yaff, for me the Hollywood Records edition is by far the best release. As they kept Mustapha to the original version. The re-release from 2011 is strangly mixed, with the odd sounding drumkick in Jealousy and Mustapha is in some levels almost ruined. Sounds ruined....

Tom

Thank you...Mustapha bothers me immensely...heading over to Amazon now...
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby stagnation » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 am

I've always thought Jazz sounds like Crap no matter what version you listen to. Most people have it in their top 5 Queen albums but for me it doesn't cut it sonically. The whole album sounds so thin and sterile. Why they chose to go back to Roy Thomas Baker to produce it baffles me. Mike Stone did a great job with 'News Of The World' - Roger's Drum sound is immense and he was reduced to sounding like he was playing tin cans on 'Jazz'. Pity really as some of the songs are really strong.

stagnation
Spread Your Wings

Postby cmsdrums » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Tom63 wrote:Yaff, for me the Hollywood Records edition is by far the best release. As they kept Mustapha to the original version. The re-release from 2011 is strangly mixed, with the odd sounding drumkick in Jealousy and Mustapha is in some levels almost ruined. Sounds ruined....

Tom

It is a terrible sounding album generally from an audiphile point of view, but I actually like the fact that they have reinstated the kick drum on Jealousy so that we hear the track as it should have been (remember the omission originally was not an artistic decision, but a mistake when mixing!). That track might only sound 'odd' NOT because there is anything wrong with the kick drum, but because we have become accustomed over 35 years to it not being there.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Purely subjective, but I still quite like the Japanese mini-vinyls, which were also released by Hollywood in the Crown Jewels boxset.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby maidenpriest » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:25 pm

cmsdrums wrote:

Tom

It is a terrible sounding album generally from an audiphile point of view, but I actually like the fact that they have reinstated the kick drum on Jealousy so that we hear the track as it should have been (remember the omission originally was not an artistic decision, but a mistake when mixing!). That track might only sound 'odd' NOT because there is anything wrong with the kick drum, but because we have become accustomed over 35 years to it not being there.

I don't believe the 'Kick Drum' on Jealousy was a mistake but it was intentional back in the day and that is how Freddie wanted it and in 2011 Roger Taylor could have it his way !!

maidenpriest
We Will Rock You

Return to Killer Queen