John's involvement towards the end

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: John's involvement towards the end

Postby YAFF » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 pm

I doubt we'll ever know for sure. My suspicion is that John did not approve of Brian & Roger whoring out the band name and catalog. I'd like to think he felt it was disrespectful to Freddie or an embarrassment to the brand. Queen jumped the shark with the Robbie Williams duet and they became a parody of themselves ever since. You cannot replace a Freddie Mercury. Sure, they may still be raking in the money by using the Queen name (and Freddie's image-on all archive releases and even in their current clown show!) and I'm sure John gets a cut but had they retired as Queen in 1997 and formed a new band or used their own names their legacy would have been intact. All they've proven is that they can't succeed without Freddie...still. Sure they may hire someone to sing Freddie's songs but's the memory and literal video and voice of Freddie is what makes it succeed. I may be wrong about John but I doubt it.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:13 pm

It's so romantic to draw a picture of John as this shy little bloke whose life only had meaning because of Frederick ... but the truth is they weren't any closer than most other pairings (in fact, it seems that only Fred and Rog were actually 'friends' as much as they were 'colleagues').

It's so romantic to draw a picture of good ol' Deaks as some moralistic knight with shining armour whose ethics would've never allowed him to see his precious band (it was 'his' band as much as it was Frederick's, Roger's or Brian's, even if he wasn't a founding member) being 'cheapened' by collabs ... but I tend to be more realistic: he saw an opportunity to keep making loads of money without lifting a finger and took it. It's that simple.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Echoplex » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:13 pm

YAFF wrote:I doubt we'll ever know for sure. My suspicion is that John did not approve of Brian & Roger whoring out the band name and catalog. I'd like to think he felt it was disrespectful to Freddie or an embarrassment to the brand. Queen jumped the shark with the Robbie Williams duet and they became a parody of themselves ever since. You cannot replace a Freddie Mercury. Sure, they may still be raking in the money by using the Queen name (and Freddie's image-on all archive releases and even in their current clown show!) and I'm sure John gets a cut but had they retired as Queen in 1997 and formed a new band or used their own names their legacy would have been intact. All they've proven is that they can't succeed without Freddie...still. Sure they may hire someone to sing Freddie's songs but's the memory and literal video and voice of Freddie is what makes it succeed. I may be wrong about John but I doubt it.

Not quite. . .

John voiced a negative opinion about the Queen + Robbie Williams project, and at the time a tour or at least some live dates were talked about but nothing came of it. By all counts Williams was up for it but Brian and Roger decided against it, could that have been John's influence as much as anything?

That is the only time John has said anything publicly about any Queen + lineup. It is therefore fairly safe to assume that having said nothing about either Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert he was/is ok with them.

Also, as has been well documented John retired from being a pro musician after they recorded No One But You and the live appearance with Elton John. It's as simple as that!

As far as the current lineup not being Queen, it's as much Queen as any other band who tours or has toured with a none original lineup, that would mean most major bands and covers some very prominent members.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:47 pm

I've always thought the alleged interview where he slameed the RW cover was a fake.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe he did or didn't say it but wasn't it a Sun (British tabloid newspaper) reporter that the alleged comments were made to?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:13 am

Exactly. You can't trust the tabloids, can you?

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Allegedly, according to Brian, the first version of WATC they did with RW, was quite different, and when Sony heard it they insisted it was made "more like" the original, so whatever they originally did, remains locked away somewhere.

Would Freddie have approved of the version they did release? Difficult one. Freddie actually got a song out not featuring a designated Brian May solo in it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Wild/Wind » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I remember Brian saying that, they recorded a guitar version of the song instead of piano, but Sony wanted a more familiar version.

About John, during the Musical pre-production Brian mentioned in a Interview that, they were afraid if John didn't approve the using of Queen name.

Wild/Wind
Spread Your Wings

Postby Spook2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Wild/Wind wrote:I remember Brian saying that, they recorded a guitar version of the song instead of piano, but Sony wanted a more familiar version.

About John, during the Musical pre-production Brian mentioned in a Interview that, they were afraid if John didn't approve the using of Queen name.

I recall in the late 90's John having a letter in the fan club magazine in which he mentions the musical

first I heard of it.

So I would presume he wasn't against it.

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I know John was involved early doors with the musical but had obviously retired by the time people were taking pictures with Robert De Niro and so on. So you could argue his early involvement meant he had no issue with it and he left for entirely unrelated reasons or you could argue he may have had initial concerns and eventually he decided he didn't like the direction the musical and, by extention, the band were taking and decided to leave.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't get all the vitriol towards the RW-version of WATC. I kinda like it myself, actually.

Also, I recall reading somewhere Brian saying that one reason they didn't tour with Robbie was that he would have brought along a different crowd of fans, too different from their usual fan-base. Or something to that effect, anyway. Of course, I guess they changed their mind later, because the same could apply to Adam....

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby BitterTears » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Robbie has (had?) a huge fanbase though. Queen + Robbie Williams (or would it have been Robbie Williams + Queen) crowds would be 50/50. I'm sure some Adam fans turn up to QAL concerts but it's a Queen crowd by and large. I doubt Robbie would have been happy just singing Queen songs the whole time like Adam does either. And that raises the prospect of Queen backed versions of Angels and Rock DJ. Hmm. A curious proposition. I'm not overly upset we never got the chance to find out what that would have been like though.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 am

^ I can't remember where I read it but I also read that Roger put the ixnay on it worrying that Robbie wouldn't see it through for some reason...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 am

Saying that, I'm not sure "some" people thought Paul Rodgers would see it through. I heard there was a lot of sightings of Jeff Scott Soto around QPR gigs at the back end of the Cosmos Rocks tour. :shock:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby soxtalon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Kes wrote:Saying that, I'm not sure "some" people thought Paul Rodgers would see it through. I heard there was a lot of sightings of Jeff Scott Soto around QPR gigs at the back end of the Cosmos Rocks tour. :shock:

Yeah I heard that as well - not only sightings....but something Jeff mentioned casually to a few people....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen