John's involvement towards the end

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: John's involvement towards the end

Postby TheHero » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Queen after FM and JD don't write songs on height with those on The Miracle or the Innuendo album. They have been touring for more than 10 years now, first with Paul Rodgers and now AL.

- Well, it is only Bri and Rog left you might say, but the fact is that Brian and Roger wrote many of the great Queen tracks over the years, even the latest, and one of the World's best classics today, the song The Show Must Go On, was written by Brian for Freddie I think. WWRY was written by Brian etc.

- Well, with age you loose your creativity or interest in writing music you might say. But what about Sir Paul McCartney then, and Roger Waters? Both of them older than Bri and Rog, and both came from bands, one called The Beatles and the other Pink Floyd. Both of them have lost former band members; John Lennon/George Harrison, Syd Barret/Richard Wright. Both of them have written songs on their solo albums that is on height with those songs that they made in their respective bands..

Queen, a band that has both a Greatest Hits I and II on the top 10 list of the best selling albums in the UK ever, a band that is active and touring with more or less the same setlist, except from the current tour.

- Yes, but they wrote Say It's Not True you might say.. Yes, you are correct, but is it an epic song a la anything on The Miracle or Innuendo ?

But they lack vocals, they lack a frontman you might say... No, they had Paul Rodgers, one of the greatest voices of rock. They also made an album (not exactly like old Queen quality), and they now have AL, who many consider a great vocalist and a good frontman for Queen.

My suggestion is that they are either too busy with other stuff, or they lost interest long ago, because they had reached the top, so why try harder? I am not blaiming them, because they are touring, and that is far more than I would have guessed they would do at this age. But I find a bit peculiar that they have lost their will, interest or whatever it is, in writing songs for the band.. Brian has also stopped his solo work writing, last album 1998, almost 20 years ago now. But instead they do WWRY musical, Kerry Ellis solo etc. you might say.. and yes, you are correct. Roger wrote a solo album! Yes, great, should do more of that!

Brian is doing a full-time job in protecting animal rights, stereoscopic projects, writing heavy books about the Universe, designing a lot of new products, involved in a ton of projects, Starmus, working with NASA, Brian May Guitars Company, London Stereoscopic Company, Asteroid Day, interviews, politics.. the list goes on and on and on and on....clearly more than most people would manage to do in a lifetime, so the answer is probably that he has so many other interests that song writing comes lower on the list.. and there is not more TIME to write songs. No wonder he gets exhausted. Too many important things grabbing time away, and I think I found the answer to my question. You need TIME for it. And of course, with a third member, John Deacon, it would make it easier maybe, one to come up with other ideas. But as we know, he left, he had had enough.

It probably doesn't make it easier when fans are fearing them writing new songs under the Queen+ banner. AND a press/media monster in the UK that has been working against them all the years (luckily that did not stop them though). Most people also think Innuendo or MIH should be the last two Queen albums. Not very easy to write good, new songs under those conditions. You really can't blame them. They are doing their best as it is today. Now you also might stop to worry about why there are no new Queen songs like before.

Be happy and enjoy the tour, because it is as close to the original Queen as it possibly can be.

Who says it should be easy ? :shock:

Sir Paul, says it fine here:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

1 comment : - The crying guy at 1:17.. i forgot where i saw it but he was interviewed after the concert, he said his wife passed away and it was her favorite song ( or their song).

That picture alone, tells more than a thousand words.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby m.j.godley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm

sebastian wrote:It's so romantic to draw a picture of John as this shy little bloke whose life only had meaning because of Frederick ... but the truth is they weren't any closer than most other pairings (in fact, it seems that only Fred and Rog were actually 'friends' as much as they were 'colleagues').

It's so romantic to draw a picture of good ol' Deaks as some moralistic knight with shining armour whose ethics would've never allowed him to see his precious band (it was 'his' band as much as it was Frederick's, Roger's or Brian's, even if he wasn't a founding member) being 'cheapened' by collabs ... but I tend to be more realistic: he saw an opportunity to keep making loads of money without lifting a finger and took it. It's that simple.

Was Roger not Brian's best man for his wedding to Anita? I am thinking they are genuine friends?

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 am

Sure, now. By 2001, Brian and Rog had known each other for over three decades... they're practically siblings now (they've worked together, intermittently, for about two-thirds of their lives, and basically all of their adult lives).

Back in the late eighties, when Roger got married, he didn't pick Brian as his best man. He picked..................... Frederick!
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 am

Now that's a best man speech I'd like to have heard.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby blueviolin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 am

In the interviews I heard from the Queen years, they all look like really good friends!
Ps: who is this Frederick!?

blueviolin
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Farrokh Bulsara moved to Britain as a teenager and, by then, he was going by Freddie (which is a shortened form of 'Frederick'). By the time he signed with Trident, his name was legally 'Frederick Bulsara,' later changed to 'Frederick Mercury' (as shown on the severance documents as well as his death certificate - so, presumably, that was the name on his passport and his NHS affiliation).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

His legal name may have been Frederick, but why insist on referring to him as that when pretty much nobody - either friends, family, media or general public - ever do so?

You have referred to Jim Beach before rather than calling him by his full forenames of Henry James, so why the insistence with Freddie?!?

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm

I can't speak for any other user but maybe it's just a bit of frivolity..?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

I rarely, if ever, speak about Mr Beach, so I really don't know how I'd refer to him.

The point is: Fred is correct, Freddie is correct, Frederick is correct. I suppose I simply got used to calling all Freds, Frederick, and it's just a habit.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Killer Queen