John's involvement towards the end

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: John's involvement towards the end

Postby BitterTears » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Well, things are rarely as straight forward as that. I think 'yes', John could have worked with Brian on BTTL even if they generally didn't like each other. They must have had some relationship and even on the assumption they didn't like each other (I've no real position on that personally but assuming they didn't) their friendship would have had at least some highs, even if the lows outnumbered them.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:08 am

I don't even think he really "worked" with Brian on that really. Nothin' But Blue is the track he is on for BTTL and that was a reworking...or just added lyrics to Somewhere In Time which was on Cozy Powell's album. So in reality John was on Cozy's album and perhaps Brian even lifted the bass for his version.

I don't know that of course....but it makes sense...

And it's quite possible this isn't so black and white. It may not be a hate or not...it may be that he just wasn't a big fan of how Brian worked...and didn't enjoy working with him.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:47 pm

When Music Life asked John in 1976 to name his favourite singer and instrumentalist, he chose Fred and Brian. Granted, that doesn't guarantee they were besties, but there are too many variables here: people can get along without being necessarily 'friends', people can have their differences on a personal level but still like and respect each other as professionals, etc.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:42 pm

^What I was trying to say....only better said :P

A weird and only tangent to this discussion...but I just received my Queen + Adam Lambert Blu Ray from Japan and I noted in the credits that the Queen-written tracks had the members written in a fashion I hadn't seen done previously:

(John Deacon/Brian May/Roger Taylor/Freddie Mercury)

I've never seen Freddie last...but before we go on bashing Brian's ego or Roger's indifference....John is first? So unless it was a Japanese thing...but it doesn't really have an order to it. Mainly I've seen (Freddie Mercury/Brian May/Roger Taylor/John Deacon) or if they are going alphabetically (John Deacon/Brian May/Freddie Mercury/Roger Taylor) or by first name (Brian May/Freddie Mercury/John Deacon/Roger Taylor) or in the QPR way done by who was more integral to introducing the track....So I just found that interesting...Oh and Under Pressure had Bowie first (David Bowie/John Deacon/Brian May/Roger Taylor/Freddie Mercury).

Not sure if this fits in this discussion anywhere but it made sense to me...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Because I love stats so much, here's how band-members were named:

Queen: Freddie - Brian - Deacon - Roger
Queen II & The Miracle: Freddie - Brian - John - Roger
Sheer Heart Attack: Roger - Freddie - John - Brian
Opera, Races, Jazz & Innuendo: Freddie - Brian - Roger - John
News of the World: John - Brian - Freddie - Roger
Flash Gordon: John - Roger - Brian - Freddie
A Kind of Magic & Made in Heaven: Freddie - John - Roger - Brian

The Game, Hot Space and The Works haven't got any performing credits on the liner notes. Neither does The Miracle, but it does list them as songwriters. Neither did my two versions of 'Jazz', but I've been told more recent releases correct that.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:24 am

^ Interesting stats...and you may have understood this already but to clarify this was in the songwriting credits - not listing the band...as in:

I Want It All
(John Deacon/Brian May/Roger Taylor/Freddie Mercury)

If you did understand and were just listing the other interesting stats then carry on :D

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes, I got your point the first time ... since obviously neither John nor Frederick performed on the live album with Adam (well, Fred might have if they did the video thing at some point - dunno if that's the case).

As far as I know, collective credits on the original albums, as found on 'Stone Cold Crazy', 'One Vision' et al, were simply 'Queen', and 'Under Pressure' was either 'Queen/Bowie' or 'Bowie/Queen'. I wonder if they split the royalties 20% each for that one or if it was 12.5% for each of the queennies and 50% for the Thin White Duke...

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 pm

sebastian wrote:Yes, I got your point the first time ... since obviously neither John nor Frederick performed on the live album with Adam (well, Fred might have if they did the video thing at some point - dunno if that's the case).

As far as I know, collective credits on the original albums, as found on 'Stone Cold Crazy', 'One Vision' et al, were simply 'Queen', and 'Under Pressure' was either 'Queen/Bowie' or 'Bowie/Queen'. I wonder if they split the royalties 20% each for that one or if it was 12.5% for each of the queennies and 50% for the Thin White Duke...

Stone Cold Crazy was credited (May, Mercury, Taylor, Deacon) on the original inner sleeve.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby sebastian » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks, I didn't know that... or remembered it wrong.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby cmsdrums » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:48 am

Haven't got them in front of me to check, but I recall discussions around some of the more modern releases started to give the writing credits for songs differently, and start to give credits such as Brian for 'I Want It All'? Working from memory here so I may be doing them a disservice, but I got the impression in the last few years that Brian was trying to 'reclaim' some of his work from the original collective banner.

cmsdrums
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 am

FAIR, it only happened with 'I Want It All' on GVHII and 'Headlong' on one of the cast albums of the musical. Perhaps he found a loophole in the sense that he'd brought them complete as opposed to having led a team-work operation, which is why others (e.g. 'Scandal' and 'Show Must Go On') retained the collective credit.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Welshqueenfan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 pm

I just get the impression that john drifted from brian in the later years, (90s). I think it was a case of john not wanting to do anything with the band anymore and not wanting to put up with brian's pedantic music recording and arguments. I dont think he even talks to brian or roger now, days of our lives docu more or less confirms this when brian tries to subtly say they dont talk, and roger just says "john has problems" type of thing,.

Welshqueenfan
Spread Your Wings

Postby marshallmichael » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:09 pm

John was involved with Brian's WWTLF charity single as well so they must have still got on together then.
But regarding John's lack of involvement after 97 sort of made sense the other night when I watched the OYOL official lyric video on YouTube and there is a photo which I think is from the Live Aid day (the one with roger flexing his muscles) and I just thought if I was John just looking at that happy photo it would destroy me knowing those amazing times and Freddie were gone forever. So I don't blame him for chucking it all in.

marshallmichael
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Back in 95, I found it strange how they broke up the credits on MIH.

Yeah, no doubt Mother Love was Brian and Freddie. But A Winter's Tale given entire band credits? That's got to be at least 90% Freddie on his own, isn't it?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 am

He was dead, he didn't need more money. 'Beautiful Day' was also his.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Queen