Brian May's other guitars

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Re: Brian May's other guitars

Postby Echoplex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Echoplex wrote:
For those who are that into knowing about such things. Brian's RS guitar was designed with an F hole but was never cut.

The original RS or one of the copies?

This may be the Gibson because the headstock looks like one of theirs or it could be someone else. The photo is not clear enough to tell for sure.

That is the Gibson, the lighting makes it appear to be black, it's actually a dark tobacco burst.

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby Echoplex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:09 pm

sebastian wrote:Brian also used a Gibson Firebird (though it wasn't his) on a couple of 'Works' tracks, and had a Baldwin Bison as well as an Epiphone Crestwood in 1975 for 'Opera' rehearsals but probably not on the record. The Danelectro Longhorn seen on the 'Jazz' gatefold sleeve was also his, but he apparently never used it for the album.

Very true.

The Jazz sleeve is great because it also shows Johns three P basses, one fretless and his Musicman. The guitars appear to be the Danelectro, a Guild (could be a Gibson RD) judging by the headstock. Three Martins, one of these could be the Tokia (Martin copy) Brian bought in Japan before they recorded ANATO. The small acoustic could be his Egmond which may feature on Leaving Home Ain't Easy. There is also what appears to be a nylon strung classical and Brian's 12 string Burns!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:17 pm

https://jamesostafford.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/queen-jazz-gatefold.jpg

Not quite. Left to right:

- Danelectro Guitar, owned by Brian (but not used). It can also be seen in a far more recent photo from the late 90's.
- 3 x Martin Guitars, though one of them could indeed be a Tokai F-120. Brian, John and Fred were all Martin clients.
- Kramer Guitar, presumably owned by Roger and possibly used on some of his songs around that era.
- One of John's Fender Precision Basses.
- A Fender Stratocaster. Could be Roger's, could be John's, could be Brian's ... but most likely John's.
- Aloha Baritone Ukelele, the one Brian used to record Good Company
- Another one of John's Fender Precision Basses.
- Music-Man Stingray, the famous 'Dust' bass, confirmed to have been used at some point in the 70's as well.
- A Spanish guitar but not the Egmond (Brian had it from 1954 to the early 60's and then only from 1990-ish onwards).
- John's fretless Fender Precision Bass.
- Brian's Baldwin Double-Six Guitar (Baldwin had bought Burns some years prior).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Echoplex » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Great reply Seb. I must admit I'd forgotten that Brian didn't have the Egmond at that point. It was returned and restored by Andrew Guyton around the time he started building the red and green RS copies, if I recall correctly.

I called Brian's Baldwin a Burns because he often does. You are right, though the is badged as a Baldwin it is the same Guitar as a Burns 12 string. If you ever come across a close up of it it's in great condition with a deep green burst finish.

The one oddity in the lineup, I think is the one you've listed as a Washburn. You could well be right, I used to think it was a Gibson RD but from 1980 onwards I thought it was a Guild S 50, 60 or 70 AD the different versions 50,60 or 70 were down to the pickups and switching I don't remember what the twin humbucker version was. The reason for me thinks this is because those guitars had a very distinctive shape to the body waist and lower curve.

Another interesting thing about the picture is Rogers second twin Bass drum set up. I can't think of an obvious twin Bass drum pattern on the album!

Echoplex
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:04 pm

It might have been that they staged that for the photo and that was all.

I've honestly never been convinced by any model to correspond exactly to that particular guitar. Someone 'in the know' told me it was a Kramer but they might've been understandably confused (John had a Kramer bass soon afterwards - the make could've been in their mind and interferred with their three-decade-old recollection).
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:10 am

Hand wound copper safety wire around very small magnets, and then embedded in araldite.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

sebastian wrote:https://jamesostafford.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/queen-jazz-gatefold.jpg

Not quite. Left to right:

- Danelectro Guitar, owned by Brian (but not used). It can also be seen in a far more recent photo from the late 90's.
- 3 x Martin Guitars, though one of them could indeed be a Tokai F-120. Brian, John and Fred were all Martin clients.
- Kramer Guitar, presumably owned by Roger and possibly used on some of his songs around that era.
- One of John's Fender Precision Basses.
- A Fender Stratocaster. Could be Roger's, could be John's, could be Brian's ... but most likely John's.
- Aloha Baritone Ukelele, the one Brian used to record Good Company
- Another one of John's Fender Precision Basses.
- Music-Man Stingray, the famous 'Dust' bass, confirmed to have been used at some point in the 70's as well.
- A Spanish guitar but not the Egmond (Brian had it from 1954 to the early 60's and then only from 1990-ish onwards).
- John's fretless Fender Precision Bass.
- Brian's Baldwin Double-Six Guitar (Baldwin had bought Burns some years prior).

Here's a little info on Danelectro Guitarlin guitars, which is what I believe the one on the far left to be. I figure if you don't already know, this will be interesting to you. Enjoy!

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1 ... -guitarlin
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Pingu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:09 pm

sebastian wrote:It might have been that they staged that for the photo and that was all.

I've honestly never been convinced by any model to correspond exactly to that particular guitar. Someone 'in the know' told me it was a Kramer but they might've been understandably confused (John had a Kramer bass soon afterwards - the make could've been in their mind and interferred with their three-decade-old recollection).

Someone did a thread on this guitar years back http://discuss.queenonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4590&hilit=guitar

The links there are all dead but it most likely seems to be a Guild S 300 or similar.

Also from Roger's 1988 interview with Making Music "In the studio I use more than anything else a Guild, about 12 years old with Di Marzio pickups, very powerful, heavy guitar". So perhaps that's the very one.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby sebastian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 am

You're absolutely right. Thanks!

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Killer Queen