Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits II Vinyl - digital downloads

Serious discussion about the band known as QUEEN.

Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits II Vinyl - digital downloads

Postby BruceyMc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:20 pm

I purchased these re-issued vinyls at Christmas and have downloaded the digital copies for listening to on my iPhone (no discussions on vinyl versus downloads please) but I regret to report that from near the end of Save Me onwards on GH there are serious stuttering on the tracks and on GHII, they have just given us the CD edited versions of the tracks.

I have reported these issues to Back To Black and have been given the usual 'thanks for letting us know, we have passed this on to the record company etc etc' but a few weeks on nothing has been fixed or changed.

When the Studio collection came out the other year I had to let them know that they had missed off Modern Times Rock N Roll and instead had Son and Daughter twice and also when Messenger of the Gods came out it took a week for it to become available for download. There is a complete lack of quality control on these.

I can understand digital files becoming corrupt but to provide a different version of an album to what you expect is nothing short of disgraceful in my opinion.

Anyone else had issues with these downloads?

BruceyMc
Spread Your Wings

Re: Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits II Vinyl - digital downl

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm

TBH, I always thought the GHII vinyl had the same versions as on the CD. I certainly don't remember the original release featuring the full version of Under Pressure. It's always bugged me that they went for an unnecessary edit and all they actually gained out of it was about six seconds. Why the fuck would you do it?

When the Japanese put out GHII a couple of years back, I think they put an extra track on it, I Was Born To Love You, so at four and a half minutes, they can't have been THAT short for running time on the original release that they needed to edit out SIX seconds of a number one single.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Kes wrote:TBH, I always thought the GHII vinyl had the same versions as on the CD. I certainly don't remember the original release featuring the full version of Under Pressure. It's always bugged me that they went for an unnecessary edit and all they actually gained out of it was about six seconds. Why the fuck would you do it?

When the Japanese put out GHII a couple of years back, I think they put an extra track on it, I Was Born To Love You, so at four and a half minutes, they can't have been THAT short for running time on the original release that they needed to edit out SIX seconds of a number one single.

The Under Pressure edit is particularly irritating, as a lot of Bowie releases also adopted this 'cut' as if it was the standard version.

Next time the full version comes on in a bar/pub and everyone's singing along - just watch how many people start the last line too early. ;)
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Kes wrote:TBH, I always thought the GHII vinyl had the same versions as on the CD. I certainly don't remember the original release featuring the full version of Under Pressure. It's always bugged me that they went for an unnecessary edit and all they actually gained out of it was about six seconds. Why the fuck would you do it?

I always figured the edits were done for the sake of time on the vinyl, and they just carried them over to the CD.

EDIT: Actually, having just checked Wikipedia (accept the accuracy of that as you see fit), the LP version did run longer than the CD. 76:32 vs. 75:57.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm

As far as I was aware, the edits on Innuendo were done for the vinyl, and the ones on GHII were mainly because of the CD.

On the GHII vinyl, you never had more than five tracks on a side, it was hardly a case of squeezing the running time on there, like Innuendo was.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Killer Queen